SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a P229R Scorpion, it is about 2 years old and has about 600-700 rounds through it. Yesterday while cleaning it I noticed that with the magazine out of the weapon, the de-cocker would not return to the top position. It would stop about half way up, it functioned and de-cocked the weapon just got stuck coming back up. I looked up into the magazine well and I can see where the de-cocker sits flush in the frame but when I press it, it will jump out of that spot and stick. If the magazine is in the weapon, it works perfect, assuming because the decocker has nowhere to go. Is this normal? Maybe I never noticed it before and just now did. Thanks.

Registered
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a P229R Scorpion, it is about 2 years old and has about 600-700 rounds through it. Yesterday while cleaning it I noticed that with the magazine out of the weapon, the de-cocker would not return to the top position. It would stop about half way up, it functioned and de-cocked the weapon just got stuck coming back up. I looked up into the magazine well and I can see where the de-cocker sits flush in the frame but when I press it, it will jump out of that spot and stick. If the magazine is in the weapon, it works perfect, assuming because the decocker has nowhere to go. Is this normal? Maybe I never noticed it before and just now did. Thanks.
First, warm welcome from South Florida. The decocker system consist of the decocking lever, spring and the decocking lever bearing. Take the left grip panel off and repeat what you were doing. You might be able to see what is going wrong. I would clean the shaft on the bearing, where frame surface rests and the lever. After lubricating all those pieces reassemble it. Most likely it either some rust, crud, caked old lubricant restricting the movement.
It is possible that you have a weak spring but I doubt it.
This is my 2 cents worth of advice but today it is free.
Let us know. I am sure more advice is on the way from other member more knowledgeable than me.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
Hellacool, there are 3 basic parts of the decocking lever assembly, the lever, the bearing, and the spring. If the spring is not in place properly, the bearing is not being held securely against the frame. With the magazine in place, it holds the bearing against the frame more securely.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hellacool, there are 3 basic parts of the decocking lever assembly, the lever, the bearing, and the spring. If the spring is not in place properly, the bearing is not being held securely against the frame. With the magazine in place, it holds the bearing against the frame more securely.
Is there a way I can check this? I am going to clean everything but this could be the issue but I have no idea how to check it.

Registered
Welcome from PA!

The SIG P229 is one of the best made guns. Congrats.

Call SIG Customer Service. They will help.

馃帠USA Veteran
With the decocker spring properly installed in the bayonet mount on the decocker bearing shaft, the bearing should be held in position against the shelf in the frame tight enough for the decocker to work even without a mag installed. Sounds like you have diagnosed the problem correctly.

As to the fix, checking the assembly would be the first step. If the spring is installed correctly, it may be that the bearing or spring is worn/out of spec. Short of replacing those components, you may want to consider installing a "PSHIM" that member bumper makes to take up the slack. See this thread for details: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/82753-greasing-decocking-lever.html?highlight=P-SHIM

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
With the decocker spring properly installed in the bayonet mount on the decocker bearing shaft, the bearing should be held in position against the shelf in the frame tight enough for the decocker to work even without a mag installed. Sounds like you have diagnosed the problem correctly.

As to the fix, checking the assembly would be the first step. If the spring is installed correctly, it may be that the bearing or spring is worn/out of spec. Short of replacing those components, you may want to consider installing a "PSHIM" that member bumper makes to take up the slack. See this thread for details: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/82753-greasing-decocking-lever.html?highlight=P-SHIM
I am going to field strip the gun this weekend, clean everything internally and re-lube. See if that solves anything. Is there a thread regarding internal lubrication without dis-assembly? I am not comfortable pulling the trigger/hammer assembly apart.

馃帠USA Veteran
You can limit the disassembly to just the decocking lever assembly; remove the left grip panel/screws, decocker spring, decocker lever and decocker bearing. Reverse to assemble. This post will shows the the steps: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistol...ols-how-they-work-animation-2.html#post255788

A helpful tip when reassembling: after installing the bearing in the frame, insert an empty mag in the frame to hold the bearing in position while the lever and spring are installed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can limit the disassembly to just the decocking lever assembly; remove the left grip panel/screws, decocker spring, decocker lever and decocker bearing. Reverse to assemble. This post will shows the the steps: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistol...ols-how-they-work-animation-2.html#post255788

A helpful tip when reassembling: after installing the bearing in the frame, insert an empty mag in the frame to hold the bearing in position while the lever and spring are installed.
Those are great, thank you.

馃帠USA Veteran
Another Tip

Use a small, thin screwdriver or pick to get under the tail of the spring pulling it slightly to the rear and lifting it out of the hole in the decocking lever. Reverse the procedure to install.

Registered
I dont have the 229, but I like the tip on inserting the mag to keep the bearing against the frame. I also take off both grips so I can stick my little finger up in there on the right side to get the bearing into its hole. That little guy can take awhile. I also found a tip on using dental floss to take off the spring and more importantly stretch it to put it back on. Be careful of that spring and keep your hand over it or work in a gallon ziplock. Make sure to push that spring down as far as it will go on the bearing shaft. I lost my spring and then I found it about fifteen feet away a week later. It had really done some travelling.

One word of caution at least for me on the pshim. It raised the decocker enough to be slow against the grip and to ride higher and hit the frame step up at the top of its travel, at least on my 220. To solve my concern of the decocker scratching the frame I simple put a small piece of 3m tape on the decocker arm between it and the frame. As they say in some other countries, it works a treat!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So disassembled the de-cocker, cleaned it and observed. Simply put the bearing would slip in its socket. There is enough space with it assembled to allow this. I saw on here people using a small spacer. I placed a small spacer over the bearing shaft and between the de-cocker and pistol frame. Took up the slack and it works as intended. Should i replace with a brass spacer? Photos attached.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.