SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a SIG P229R in .22 LR, and that was the way it came, along with 2 plastic magazines. However, I asked local GS if I could convert the P229R from .22 LR to 9mm with new barrel and slide and was told no. Is this true? I cannot change the pistol from .22 LR to 9mm? Reason I asked is it talked in the info that was in the case that this was a 22 "kit" allowing me to shoot cheaper .22 LR ammo.

Your valuable thoughts on this.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes - it can be converted

I bought the following - P220, P226 and P229 as .22lr and converted all three to centerfire pistols. I can now shoot 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG and .45ACP using SIG's caliber X-change kits. Back in the day (3 years ago) the .22lr pistols plus the X-change kit was the same price as the centerfire pistol alone.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The P229R .22LR Classic can be converted to any of the 3 centerfire calibers using what used to be called the Two-Step Caliber X-Change Kit. The SKU for the 22 Classic is P229R-22-BAS so, yes, you should be able to with the right X-Change Kit.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
As previously said ...YES, it can be converted. In many cases you can buy the .22 version of the P22x series and add the center fire X Change kit cheaper than you could get the center fire version.

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
I did the same thing. I purchased a P229R .22LR (which is built on the exact same frame with the exact same internal parts) and installed a P229 9mm RX X-change kit on it. Nice additional P229 configuration. I can also run .40S&W uppers and .357Sig uppers with no issues. Just swap out the slide assembly and magazines. ;)

Reactions: Gibbs

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Another case of a LGS not knowing anything. In my signature block I bought a P226-22 and now it’s a 4 caliber gun and it rocks all I shoot through it.

Be aware, Sig has discontinued the P229-22 so you might just have a little gem in the future, but get another slide kit and shoot the snot out of it.

Fyi, the conversion kits come with a full slide(barrel and everything), night sights installed and 1 magazine. Everything in the kits are just normal Sig parts nothing special to make a conversion.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be aware, Sig has discontinued the P229-22 so you might just have a little gem in the future, but get another slide kit and shoot the snot out of it.
Not sure about that they are discontinued. I'll look again when I get home, but the sticker on the plastic case said it was made in Jan 16, 2018, so not that long ago. Bought it at Bud's Gun Shop and shipped to my FFL here in Michigan. So I question the discontinuation idea unless there was something posted within the last week or so from SIG Sauer...

BTW Big THANK YOU to all who gave me correct information about using X-change kits to go to a centerfire pistol. I have a SIG P-320 in 9mm and .45 ACP, a SIG SP2022 in 9mm and also a Taurus G2 in 9mm as well. I guess I don't have a P229 in 9mm, huh? :lol:

Reactions: KenBry

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Not sure about that they are discontinued. I'll look again when I get home, but the sticker on the plastic case said it was made in Jan 16, 2018, so not that long ago. Bought it at Bud's Gun Shop and shipped to my FFL here in Michigan. So I question the discontinuation idea unless there was something posted within the last week or so from SIG Sauer...

BTW Big THANK YOU to all who gave me correct information about using X-change kits to go to a centerfire pistol. I have a SIG P-320 in 9mm and .45 ACP, a SIG SP2022 in 9mm and also a Taurus G2 in 9mm as well. I guess I don't have a P229 in 9mm, huh? :lol:
Sig pulled them and the 1911-22 off thier website as well as all the 22 conversion kits for 229&226 and are now discounting the 1911 22 kit to get rid of them. Also last year they discounted and got rid of 226 and 229 kits. I figure it’s a safe assumption that they are getting out of certian 22 guns.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well that may explain why Bud's gave me a new price on a wish list item (this) and at first it was onlyh $337.00 but in a couple days the price had gone up to $340.00 I really thought that was kind of odd....

They do shoot very accurate, but I see issues with the spring strength in the guide rod, as when I cleaned it without any oil on the rails, there were SEVERAL issues that the slide was partially back and did not go into battery until I nudged it a bit. I polished where the center rail meets the hammer the length and also did some light fine sanding on the insides of the rail on the slide assembly, and a liberal dose of oil and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the quality of MEC-GAR magazines for the p229 (in 9mm)?

·
Registered
22,078 Posts
Reactions: Gibbs

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Well that may explain why Bud's gave me a new price on a wish list item (this) and at first it was onlyh $337.00 but in a couple days the price had gone up to $340.00 I really thought that was kind of odd....

They do shoot very accurate, but I see issues with the spring strength in the guide rod, as when I cleaned it without any oil on the rails, there were SEVERAL issues that the slide was partially back and did not go into battery until I nudged it a bit. I polished where the center rail meets the hammer the length and also did some light fine sanding on the insides of the rail on the slide assembly, and a liberal dose of oil and it seemed to help.

I might be able to help you here. 1. Cycle the slide allot..I’m talking 200 or more times. I found my slides ran much smoother after working them that much. 2. Shoot CCI 22lr mini mags, they make a big difference in these Sig 22s.

Mec Gar made Sig mags for a long time.. they work great.

BTW, great shooting!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
9mm kit came in today. Slide/spring/barrel and on 15 round magazine P229-1 It is the newer wider style and fits this P229 I have like a glove. Shot 30 rounds in the back yard after work. I live in the country ;) Shot great, no feed or other issues.
Ordered another magazine for it once I was convinced all things would work. Had to look for the newer E2 magazine, ones with P229-1 MAG-229-9-15-E2 is the model. Older magazines would not work according to many websites, and many websites were sold out. Found on in Arizona. Holds a nice group, BTW

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
9mm kit came in today. Slide/spring/barrel and on 15 round magazine P229-1 It is the newer wider style and fits this P229 I have like a glove. Shot 30 rounds in the back yard after work. I live in the country ;) Shot great, no feed or other issues.
Ordered another magazine for it once I was convinced all things would work. Had to look for the newer E2 magazine, ones with P229-1 MAG-229-9-15-E2 is the model. Older magazines would not work according to many websites, and many websites were sold out. Found on in Arizona. Holds a nice group, BTW
Told ya so..:p...lol.. glad you’re happy with your new toys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stepped out back yesterday and tried the P229 with 9mm slide/barrel using Federal bulk pack. Looks like I need to move the front sight a very little bit to the right.

I also shot 30 round with the .22 LR slide on, but shot it pretty fast but I think my group might tighten up with slower shots and/or will have to try Aguila with Eley primed ammo

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adjusted the rear sight a smidgen to the left, to make my group go a bit more left and got a pretty good result on the 9mm slide. I think I'll just leave it alone for now. Will have to test it on my Winchester RA9T ammo sometime.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got in new 15 round magazine, came in SIG Sauer packaging, and says "Made in Italy" small letters on the side. Looks good quality.

Tried out my Winchester Talon self defense ammo to see how well it does, and not too bad. Winchester RA9T JHP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did not have that great of luck from my 9mm x-change kit.

It's shooting low, no matter how I sight the target. :confused:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not have that great of luck from my 9mm x-change kit.

It's shooting low, no matter how I sight the target. :confused:
You are probably anticipating the shot, and many have a tendency to push forward to counteract the recoil. I would say, from my experience, that the tendency to react will almost certainly end in a low hit.

Have someone else shoot your 9mm pistol and see if that might be the case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts