SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls I am relatively new to SigSauer and have a question. I am about to purchase my first P229 Monday, question is, should I get it with or without nightsights. Is it worth the extra $150 or should I wait a little longer and just have the contrast sights on them and have them put on at a later time. Thanks for everything in advance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
. Not sure how I'd do if it had another kind, so I can't compare night sites vs others, But I get very good groupings with my p226 mk25's Siglite night sites and wouldn't change them.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
That's a matter of personal choice, but IMHO, I would get the one with the night sights... MyP229R has the factory SIG Lites, Crimson Trace, and a TLR1 tactical light... I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Depends on what you want to to with the P229. If any of your purposes is for self defense or home protection, then absolutely get gun with night sights. If you just use it for a range gun ONLY, then no night sights needed. If buying a new gun get version with it already installed, or if you like another type other than Siglight, you can always spend about $100 for something else later.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sig has specials every once and a while and you can get the pistol cleaned and night sights installed usually for $100. So get the gun - enjoy - see what you like and the get the night sights installed later if you still want them. I have night sights on all my pistols. Not necessarily for night use but because I see the sights better - even in the day time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I will tell you this....If your going to add a light onto your pistol, the night sights will not matter. Once your activate the light on the weapon, the night sights will cease to matter. Now, if your not going to add a weapon light? then they are a must have, IMHO...... I have them on my duty E226 R ....I can tell you with all the building searches and warrant searches that I have done, the night sights have never been a issue with the light was activated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get the night sights up front. What you will have to pay for shipping and the installation cost will probably exceed the $150. Also, even if you have tac light...what contingency do you have if the light becomes inoperable?

·
Registered
172 Posts
There's no real downside to night sights other than cost and the fact that they die after 10-12 years.

A hundred and fifty bucks extra sounds a little excessive to me. Locally, the Meprolight night sights (what SIG uses) are less than $100 and are installed for free by the gun store.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
There are guns that almost NEED them. The Sig 229 doesn't, save your money. You can always add them later and get them used for much less $

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for their input! I did some researching and found a shop near me selling some night sights for less than $100. Great to know how helpful people can be when it comes to serious decisions and personal protection!

·
Registered
55,076 Posts
if you're happy, that's all that counts.

·
Registered
892 Posts
better to have and not need than need and not have

·
Registered
54 Posts
For $150 you can buy some Tru-Glo fiber/tritium sights for $85-90 and have them installed for $20-35 by a local armorer. The armorer can be pretty far away too because you still have at least $25 for gas to spend on the trip. ;)

Siglite sights are excellent and I have them on a couple of my Sigs, but I prefer the Tru-Glos because the fiber lights up nicely in daylight conditions. If the difference in price was substantially less, I'd say get the Siglites.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts