SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to gun store today to install my sights. I bought some TFOs for my P229 green rear and red front for contrast. I asked them how much it was going to cost to install. Their price? $60! Heck no I wasn't going to pay over half of what my sights cost. Especially just to push onto the slide! For everyone out there what's a reasonable price to install or if I should just do it myself?

·
Registered
895 Posts
They are sometimes tough to remove and install. Without any damage I would have them do it. Or, buy the Sig Sight pusher from MGW for $120, do it your self and sell the pusher or keep it. Sell it for $100 and now it cost you $20.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That right there is a loop hole! I just assumed it would be an easy job and would be around $20 or $30. I'll do more research and price comparisons around town for the best deals. Thanks.

·
Registered
56,272 Posts
sorry but that's like taking your own steak to a restaurant & asking them to cook it, they're not in the business to accommodate you nor is the gunsmith you went to so you pay the price or go somewhere else..

the lgs/gunsmith want to make the sale + install.

do be careful as not all gunsmiths have the correct pusher for your sig.
i heard of one case of using a hammer/punch to r&r sights & charged $25.

tfo inserts fall out.

mc:
time for a road trip

·
Registered
959 Posts
TFO sight install

The TFO's are nice sights. I considered them but the information I read about the front sight being difficult to install and cutting down sight picture because of the length turned me off on them. Have a couple of sets of Trijicon HD's and love them.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,513 Posts
The range I do the most business with will put them on as a service. Because I am a repeat customer.
if you were a stranger walking in with your own sights, I could see the charge.
I don't know about TFOs. Trijicon you could mail them the slide for 6.00 each way and they will do it.
Probably where you bought the sights as well. Mailing a slide is no big deal.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I'm not justifying their price, but I do understand. They made no profit off of the sale of the sights; they are financially responsible if something happens during the install. They have the ability to perform, and the responsibility to back up the service if something isn't right, that the average joe can't perform. They have money invested in tools, and the constant need to buy new tools to service new types of guns. Insurance, salaries, sundry supplies...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts