SIG Talk banner

P229 SAS Gen II 40SW Help

723 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jsawyer09
Keep running into conflicting info on my P229, hoping someone on here has the ground truth.

I have a P229 SAS Gen II in 40SW, German frame. I'd like to get the Caliber X-Change Kit to convert to 9mm. Some sources say that it can be converted, but I've also run into information that states that the German-framed P229 SAS Gen II that originally came in 40SW is the one model that can not be converted to 9mm. I've received two answers from SIG CS, one said that I should send the gun in and they would hand fit a kit, the other said just order the P229-1 kit and I'd be fine.

Anyone know for sure?

TIA!
Reactions: sigsrok
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,319 Posts

· Premium Member
14,244 Posts
If this was my gun, I'd just get a Barsto conversion barrel and go with that. Running two different steel slides on an alloy frame can possibly lead to some abnormal wear on the frame rails. Using the Barsto conversion barrel would eliminate this possibility.

As to the conversion kit fitting, there are two conversion kits for the P229, not certain they are both still available. One for the railed P229 frame, the other for use on a frame without a rail. I'm guessing the German frame you have most likely does not have a rail and the conversion kit under consideration is for a railed frame. This may be leading to some of the confusion. But I can see no reason each of these conversion kits will not function on either of the frames. There just might be a gap between the frame dust cover and slide chin on one of these set ups, not a functional issue at all.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
When I got a 9mm x-change kit for my 2013 P229SAS .40 FrankenSIG CPO it didn't fit.
I called SIG CS and they sent me a shipping label to fit it for free. While it was going to the mothership for free I decided to have them put the SRT kit and .357SIG barrel in as well (with a 20% discount). I got the x-change kit online for $200. If I would do it again I would go with a BarSto barrel for the reasons MC stated. My P229 sports a legacy SAS slide and the x-change kit came with the newer design (full height serrations and long extractor). Even though I had no issues after SIG fitted the kit to the frame, I like the legacy slide better. Another advantage of the conversion barrel - when you hit the range for multicaliber fun you just need to pack the barrel and the recoil spring which fits in the vest pocket and you're good to go. For plinking the .40/,357 mags work fine - for defensive use I would highly recommend to get some P229-1 9mm mags. With the .40/.357 mags using 9mm I had the slide lock back even though ther was still one round in the mag.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
I've learned that if your SAS is German framed, then it will for certain take the P229 'Legacy Slide' version (with the front/forward slide serrations); it will in all likelihood not accept the newer P229-1 type with the longer extractor and full height serrations. Osage carries both. I have tried both iterations on several different P229 variants, and my experience reflects the above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.