SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a P229 9mm and have a couple of questions. The model number on the box ends in "Legacy." Does this refer to the slide? Also, it has a short extractor, is that a characteristic of the legacy? The model number has "BSS" in it, what does that signify? The box is dated May 2013. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Welcome.

Legacy is an older 229. Refers to the slide, that has short serrations. Newer 229s have serrations from top to bottom of slide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the good info and thanks rbmcmjr for the pic---that really helped. Forgot to mention that it has the E2 grip which is great for my hands.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bss

Just bought a P229 9mm and have a couple of questions. The model number on the box ends in "Legacy." Does this refer to the slide? Also, it has a short extractor, is that a characteristic of the legacy? The model number has "BSS" in it, what does that signify? The box is dated May 2013. Thanks for any info.
"BSS" indicates Night Sights

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Welcome from SE Texas and congrats on your P229. You got one of SIGs finest.
IMHO the P229 legacy slide is the best looking slide SIG ever made.
You might want to consider getting a P239 in 9mm as a BUG - those have the same slide style. ;) :D

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Your legacy P229, if like mine, will also use the P228/P229 mags, and not the P229-1 mags.
The "Legacy" slide was carried over to the modern P229 frame (using P229-1 mags) for quite a while, before SIG transitioned to the modern slide with long extractor.

The "Legacy" slide was used very recently on some models, such as the Talo exclusive P229 Legacy Carry.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, mine uses the earlier 13 round mags. I managed to snag 3 of those that were for sale a while back. So far, I am well pleased. Thanks again for all the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.