SIG Talk banner

P229 or p320?

9772 26
I'm shopping for a new toy and I need few input in this 2 guns. I already own a p229r 9mm and really like to have a .40cal to carry. P229 or p320 in .40sw.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Both are fine guns!

And I guess in theory you can buy a caliber conversion kit for both to shoot in 9mm if you ever choose to. So it boils down to you if you perfer an all steel firearm or a polymer one. Also if you perfer a DA/SA or a striker fire.

I myself would perfer a 229 as I am a big fan of DA/SA so the extra weight of the 229 does not bother me as I am getting more of what I want.

Happy Choosing!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Both are excellent guns.

I have a handful of both and am severely biased to the P22's.
P320 are fun to shoot, and a very practical carry gun however when shooting a P225, p226, or P229 side by side there's no comparison in my opinion as shooter.

That being said, you wont regret a P320 and its something different which is always fun!
Also you've got the caliber conversion thing going on which is also nice if you want to switch things up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I myself would just buy the caliber conversion. I tried out the p320 for the first time last week. I was very impressed. Not a striker fired plastic gun fan but I liked it a lot.
Still, I think the p229 is one of the best guns you can own in any caliber.

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Personally, I would go with the P229 if you want a smooth shooting .40 pistol. I've shot a lot of .40s over the years (P226, P229, Glock 35, 22, 23, 27, M&P, Kel Tec, PX4 Storm, just to name a few), and for me the P229 is by far the most balanced, softest and smoothest shooting .40 available. YMMV

Reactions: bumper

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
No platform handles the .40 S&W better than the P229. Period.
I think the P229 .40 is for Sig what the Glock 19 is for Glock. For the respective caliber, it just can't be beat.

Reactions: USMC6872

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I really like the 320, but I've never shot one in .40.

On the other hand, I've never shot a better gun in .40 than the 229.

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
The P229, with its anodized aluminum alloy frame, is half a pound (8.6 ounces) heavier than the comparably sized P320 with its lighter plastic frame - 34.4 vs 25.8 ounces (empty).

The difference is not huge, though not inconsequential either. The extra weight is welcome when shooting, as it results in less felt recoil. And not so welcome after a day of packing it - though 1/2 lb seems a worthwhile price if you prefer the classic P's with their exposed hammers, DA/SA, short reset triggers, and more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.