SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 229 brand new in it's case. I've got a couple quick questions. This is my first all metal gun. I assume the protocol here is to give the frame a nice oil rub down along with the slide, correct? Hoppes Elite OK? I hope, because I already used it. :D

Next question...and a bit trickier one. As I was cleaning the barrel I noticed a very small knick in it. I'm adding a link to the picture. It's not the best, but you'll at least be able to see what I'm talking about. If it's anything of concern, please let me know. Thanks all!

http://i.imgur.com/SmIT3fC.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ya I grease the rails on my 229. Then oil everything else.

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts
Grease what slides or rubs and oil the rest. Grease hangs in there better. I grease the barrel and shell well to reduce the smileys.
The big thing is to have some lubricant. Lots of people say they use oil and survive.

·
Premium Member
18,584 Posts
Hoppes Elite Oil is a good product. Using it for rust prevention is fine. As the frame is aluminum, the rust prevention isn't necessary but you will want to make certain all the moving parts are lubed (with the exception of the firing pin, that channel should remain dry).

Many use grease on the rails and barrel exterior, many use oil, and still others use FrogLube/Seal1. As long as the rails and barrel are well lubed, you will be good to go.

Enjoy the gun, it is a good one!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hard to tell whether or not it is by the picture. I would keep an eye on it, if it grows, contact SIG, otherwise have fun!
From that perspective I can't tell where the nick is. Can you match it up with another part of the gun? I'm thinking the front of the slide when the barrel is tilted?
I tend to over grease, work the slide 20 times or so. Then wipe off the excess. If you break it down again you can tell where the grease worked in (wear surfaces) and what "blobs" didn't get touched (non-wear). Once you get a little wear going you'll know just where to grease too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
All that being said about grease (and I agree) but I don't think the factory puts grease on the guns while testing them. My P226 was the worst, brand new gun that came beat up full of barrel "smileys" from the factory and no lubrication on the rails or barrel. My P229 had some wear from factory testing but was not as bad. I need to go rescue some more Sigs that have been beat up by the factory...every time I buy a Sig now I feel like a hero, they get the grease they were meant to have and proper food/ammo and shelter. :lol:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just looked at the pic, from what I can tell that doesn't sem worrisome. The previous suggestion of shooting and keeping an eye on it is probably your best. That seems almost miniscule from the pic, it's good to know you've inspected your pistol thoroughly! As mentioned your rails and barrel will like grease, you've got some, so you're covered. Enjoy the heck out of your new 229! When (not if) you get your next Sig, keep the 220 in mind!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Wait until the simleys start, you won't even notice that 'nick'! Grease the rails and the barrel. Even with grease you will begin to se normal wear on the barrel in the form of smileys. As long as they remain surface wear and are not "cutting in" your ok. Each Classic Sig seems to have its own degree of wear, compring one to another is not always accurate for assessing the degree.

Enjoy your 229

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Left barrel, not greased.

Right barrel, greased.

~ 3000 to 4000 rounds each.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.