SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a NIB P229-1 (E29R-9-XTM-PROMO) back in March. An old forum post indicates that it was sold as a combo package in separate boxes with a P290. I see that the manufacture date on the box is 5-Sep-2014. My other two Sigs have manufacture dates within two months from when I purchased them in 2016 (yes, I may have the Signess). It seems to me that 2-1/2 years is a little long for it to be sitting on the shelf. From the wear on the box, I'm thinking it may have changed dealers a couple of times. While the box showed wear, the gun was in absolute pristine condition. How common would it be to see a new Sig at a LGS that's 2-1/2 years old? Also, would anyone shy away from a new gun because of an old manufacture date? Larry G.

·
Registered
20,961 Posts
The best way to get a manufacture date is by the box. This doesn't work on CPO's as they list the CPO date, not the original manufacture date. Post the first few of your serial and we can hopefully help you out that way. It's very possible, however, that it sat on a shelf all that time.

As far as shying away from a NOS (new old stock) gun, I would absolutely buy one. The gun is not wearing out by sitting in the box. I would go this route especially if it got me a Legacy slide instead of a new long-extractor slide. A lot of times these guns are discounted--not necessarily if you see them listed on GB, though.

·
Registered
20,961 Posts
Here's a few from this thread. I'm not sure why there's 2 sets of serial numbers at this time. You have to interpolate your date from these. Based on what I see, yours did indeed "sit the bench" for all that time.

55B003xxx; 16-DEC-2013; 229R-40 EQ; Thanks to GFFIREMEDIC53
45A027xxx; 16-MAY-2014; E29R-40-SCPN-DE; Thanks to KuZZo
55B021xxx; 26-NOV-2014; P229
55B023xxx; 13-DEC-2014; E29R-40-EQ ; Thanks to Twister
55B029xxx; 20-MAR-2015; E29R-9-SCPN; Thanks to Gcham5
55B040xxx; 27-OCT-2015; E29CA-357-SAS2B; Thanks to CXXX
45A046xxx; 02-MAY-2016; E29-357-SAS2B; Thanks to CXXX
45A046xxx; 12-AUG-2016; WE29-9-BSS-LGCY; Thanks to glock35ipsc
55B069xxx; 06-OCT-2016; P229 Legion; Thanks to Pearson
55B062xxx; 08-NOV-2016; E29R-40-ESE; Thanks to JDIOWA

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistol...w-date-your-newer-sig-handgun.html#post656281

·
P228 Sherpa
7,428 Posts
If a gun has changed hands 20 times and is still unfired, looks pristine and is advertised as NOS, I would have no reservations at all buying it. Would you buy a NOS Python, or P210, if they were your thing? The answer is obvious.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The only thing that would bother me (trivial but still) is the change made to the slide after 2014.
I bought a 2014 NOS M11A-1 and it had the old configuration so I sold it and bought a 2016 build
Note the difference between the older (bottom slide) and newer configuration.

This was explained to me as to why but in truth the previous design worked perfectly so I am not sure about the why.
BTW, my 2011 P220Carry has the same newer configuration so it begs the question as to why in 2011 it was a needed update but had to wait 4-5 years for the P229

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The only thing that would bother me (trivial but still) is the change made to the slide after 2014.
I bought a 2014 NOS M11A-1 and it had the old configuration so I sold it and bought a 2016 build

[/URL]

You have solved a mystery for me. I bought a used 229-1 E2 that would not get through a mag without jamming in all sorts of interesting ways. Sent it back to Sig (on their nickle, after the problem was explained), and it came back with a new slide. Because I had not taken pics, I did not recognize the difference. But it works now, with 1198 rounds since any failure.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It is not a problem for me. As long as it is indeed NIB, I don't worry about when it was actually manufactured--unless there was some sort of problem during the date it was manufactured. At my LGS I have purchased pistols that were only days old like the 320 X5. Just picked up a 9mm 1911 Match Elite Stainless--one I have been looking for--but obviously missed it at my LGS--was manufactured Jun 2016--perfect condition of course since it was sitting nice and cosy in the case. I think my 226 Nitron was over two years NIB--so don't worry about the date as long as it is new.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Can you explain the change? It looks like the center of the slide has been given a ramp. I have three M11A1s (two 2015s and one 2016) and they all match what you show as the "old" version (i.e., flat). I have had zero problems with mine.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I actually saw one of the combo deals online yesterday (can't remember where) NIB. It is not uncommon for Sigs to sit unsold for long periods of time--especially in areas where Sigs are less popular. Possible someone bought the combo, did not need/want/shoot the 229 and sold it back? or possible the LGS sold the 290 out of the set and not the 229 which remained unsold due to the set being incomplete? Hard to say but in reality I would personally not care if I wanted it and it was NIB, I would buy it. I have purchased several Sigs BNIB with dates that were SEVERAL years old. My 224 was BNIB from CDNN and was 2+ years from its born on date when I bought it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined this forum. Recently acquired a P229-9R- 9mm Enhanced Elite Nitron in original box. Pistol Ser. # 45A009xxx. Box has same serial number with label date
04-Oct-2013. Looks not fired. Box blue cardboard. Contained owner manual, small orange device that I suspect is an empty chamber indicator; gun lock/key in plastic bag and a large black plastic device used for nothing I can think of ( can be inserted into mag well so pencil like piece comes out open breach.

Just wanted to add serial number to your data base.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Just joined this forum. Recently acquired a P229-9R- 9mm Enhanced Elite Nitron in original box. Pistol Ser. # 45A009xxx. Box has same serial number with label date
04-Oct-2013. Looks not fired. Box blue cardboard. Contained owner manual, small orange device that I suspect is an empty chamber indicator; gun lock/key in plastic bag and a large black plastic device used for nothing I can think of ( can be inserted into mag well so pencil like piece comes out open breach.

Just wanted to add serial number to your data base.
The black plastic piece you are describing is to remove the 1 piece grips, I imagine it has.

You need to go to thread, in the "Sticky's" to add your pistol's serial number to our database... https://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pisto...-numbers-how-date-your-newer-sig-handgun.html

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.