SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in November of last year, I bought a '92 vintage P229 in 40 S&W, that had very little use and a lot of TLC. Very nice pistol!
I bought it thinking that I'd eventually get a 357 Sig barrel, as I already had three other 40 pistols. And for some reason, I just never shoot them much. It's not that I don't like the 40, but it may have been that I didn't care for my other guns that are in 40.

Anyway, a few weeks back, I ordered and installed the E2 grips for it. I never liked any of the Sigs wearing the standard plastic grips. The E2's are great!
Most recently, I ordered and installed the SRT kit in the pistol. So off to the range to verify function and reliability. I shot 200 rounds of various factory and hand loaded ammo. No problems at all, which I kinda figured...
Love those E2s and the SRT kit.:)
But I was really surprised at how much more I liked shooting the 229 in 40 than any of my others. And wow, amazingly accurate...also what I had expected. But having not shot any 40's in a while, I am very, very happy with the fit, feel and function of this little gun!:D It has instantly been added to my EDC rotation:)

EDIT:
I believe it is a '95 vintage, not '92. AF24 S/N

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
That's great to hear. The P229 is a fine pistol. I've owned 5 over the years, and still have 2 of them. IMO the P229 is more fun in .357 SIG, though. I have mine on my carry permit. When I renewed last year, the instructor was amazed at the amount of muzzle blast coming from my P229 during the live fire portion. :)

I've got G10's and a SRT on mine.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
That's great to hear. The P229 is a fine pistol. I've owned 5 over the years, and still have 2 of them. IMO the P229 is more fun in .357 SIG, though. I have mine on my carry permit. When I renewed last year, the instructor was amazed at the amount of muzzle blast coming from my P229 during the live fire portion. :)

I've got G10's and a SRT on mine.
I agree 100%.
The P229 in .357 Sig is awesome. Period :)
I love to shoot .357
Btw, what did you qualify with? HST? Gold Dot?

·
Registered
496 Posts
the instructor was amazed at the amount of muzzle blast coming from my P229 during the live fire portion. :).
P229 are great. I own 3. A nitron 9 mm, a SAS legacy slide with 9 mm Bar-Sto, 40 S&W and 357 SIG barrels, and a M11A1.
The SAS model is my EDC.
Careful when shooting 357 SIG at night. Some bright politician might want to reclassify it as an illegal FLAME THROWER.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
What kind of take down levers are on your SAS and M11-A1, FLASIG?
Very observant.
Those two guns have a LaserMax green laser guide rod each. The little round button on both sides of the take down levers is the on/off and momentary switch for the laser. Very clever engineering.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Have to agree with you Ceapea, the 229 is my all time favorite Sig. I have 6 in 40 and two M11's if those count. And yes the E2's are so much better than the older plastic grips.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of 357 Sig barrels, what brand do you (any of you...) recommend?

Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been seeing prices from $142 to $153 for the new Sig branded barrels. Not too bad really. Any idea where to get the German barrels?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought SIG barrels. I prefer the older German barrels with the blued finish. The US barrels have a flat parkerized finish and different font.
What about POA vs POI? Any need to change sights?

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
I've been seeing prices from $142 to $153 for the new Sig branded barrels. Not too bad really. Any idea where to get the German barrels?
I found all 3 of mine on Gunbroker. I had to be patient. As far as POI/POA, I switched sights on one, and left the other. Honestly, at handgun distances (less than 10 yds), it really doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some pics...

It looks like I was a bit of a mad man today. I ended up shooting 342 38 spl (I also picked up a pretty nice police trade in S&W 64...pre-lock), 20 357 Mag, 51 45 acp and 180 40 S&W. The auto loader brass count doesn't take into account the ones that got away.:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.