SIG Talk banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I’m not into the Legion thing. That being said, I winter carry a Legion 229 SAO. I liked all the features it had to offer. She’s a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
It’s no different than an option package on a new car, a bundle of upgrades that sell for less together than they would individually. Adding an aftermarket sunroof is about as practical as adding an undercut trigger guard. You might decide to accept options you don’t care for to get those you want at a good price. I never wanted my heated steering wheel until I got one in a premium bundle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of the gun. I bought a P229 Elite and put a GG trigger, better sights, new grips and another part or two IIRC. My total in that gun is right at about $1000. A month later, I bought a lightly used P229 Legion for $950. I have put nothing but ammo into the Legion. It was nicely configured out of the box.

If I sell the Elite, I’ll get pennies on the dollar for the mods I did and it will sell as a nice gun that an unknown did some mods to, even if none of those mods permanently alter the gun.

If I sell the Legion, I’ll most likely get the bulk of my money out of it.

Now, if you are fine with a stock Sig trigger, then most of the upgrades to the Legion will mean nothing to you. I do prefer a tuned trigger and a Legion is a much cheaper way into a nice trigger than rolling my own. Plus, the range bag is really not a bad thing

·
Registered
127 Posts
Other than a little badge, access to accessories I don't want, a purchased status as elite - forgetting aesthetics and pride of ownership - are there real mechanical superiorities in the Legion that are going to make a difference in an engagement from 0-20 meters, or in the fun I'll have shooting at snowballs, plates, or B-27 targets?
(Is there an award or penalty for blog's longest sentence?)
Get the Legion. I have two and really like them over the standard gun. It has some upgrades over the standard that cost more than the price difference.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Is the Legion thing that some refer to the other stuff available? Although I have four Legions now, I only have one coin and case because that is how it was sold. I buy guns to shoot not for the bling.
The gun case and coin you have came with the purchase of a used Legion from the previous owner assume?

With a new Legion purchase you have to go online and submit for them. Sig usually has them to you within a couple of weeks.

Case and coin are probably worth about $75 to $100 on the resale market so even if you don’t want them you should take them. I really like the cases for range trips.

You don’t buy a Legion for the case and coin but it’s like being offered a free desert at a restaurant. Don’t over analyze it. Just shut up and take it. 😁

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my opinion, the Legion upgrades are worth it. As far as the triggers, if you don't have any work done to them, it's a roll of the dice. The best trigger of my SIGs is the P225, Who knows why. I got it used so maybe it was worked on. I changed the trigger in my P226 SSE from the Short Reach (thin) trigger to the Standard and it was an immense improvement to the action. Perhaps the spring were not put in there perfectly correct or some thing but when I had it back together the trigger was almost as good at the Legion P226.

My only complaint about the Legion is the finish, it not as durable at the Nitron. I had a P229 for about 21 years and it never showed any excessive wear.

Any about Legion vs. Non-Legion, It's not always about the cost, or features, sometimes it's only about what we want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Other than a little badge, access to accessories I don't want, a purchased status as elite - forgetting aesthetics and pride of ownership - are there real mechanical superiorities in the Legion that are going to make a difference in an engagement from 0-20 meters, or in the fun I'll have shooting at snowballs, plates, or B-27 targets?
(Is there an award or penalty for blog's longest sentence?)
Bottom line, the only difference you can't address is the undercut, and all the sekr1t [email protected]@ke BS.

Please refer to: Upgrade a West German SIG Sauer P226 to Legion Specs - Real Gun Reviews and his accompanying videos. His articles are about the P226, but for our purposes, everything applies.

Also, check out: BlasterBits by BlasterBits - Shapeways Shops His parts let you retrofit the beavertail. I have both the P226 and P226 setups.

Grips are highly personal, so the s00per sekr1t Legion grips have no real appeal to me, per se. I do recommend the E2 conversion, and while you're "in there", deburr the strut. It can smooth out the trigger pull significantly.

GrayGuns is really your friend when doing an upgrade / refurb. His SRT kit + `ELS kit and you have the Legion trigger setup. https://grayguns.com/product-tag/p229/ I WISH I got a kickback from them, I do not.

Finally, if you go legion, you are locked into 9mm. If you keep your eyes open for a PoPo trade-in P229 in .40 or .357SIG, follow the guides in the above mentioned article, you will end up with an (after you replace the springs and refresh the sights), an essentially new pistol, which with the purchase of a barrel, you can swap between calibers. .40/.357 mags are out there cheap on the surplus market.

If you want 9mm as an option for some reason, snag a BarSto barrel, and some 9mm mags.

Sorry for the long post, but you DID ask.....

Hope this helps.

WB

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
175 Posts
My first ever handgun was a standard Sig P226 and I later bought a Sig P226 Legion. IMHO, the Legion is a much better handgun and has replaced the standard P226 in my nightstand. For me it is a no-contest, the Legion wins hands-down. But YMMV.

Ferret33

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sure the legion has some upgrades but they are upgrades on an already fantastic pistol. If you're looking to buy right now I would get a standard nitron while you can, I know I'm going to try to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Bottom line, the only difference you can't address is the undercut, and all the sekr1t [email protected]@ke BS.

Please refer to: Upgrade a West German SIG Sauer P226 to Legion Specs - Real Gun Reviews and his accompanying videos. His articles are about the P226, but for our purposes, everything applies.

Also, check out: BlasterBits by BlasterBits - Shapeways Shops His parts let you retrofit the beavertail. I have both the P226 and P226 setups.

Grips are highly personal, so the s00per sekr1t Legion grips have no real appeal to me, per se. I do recommend the E2 conversion, and while you're "in there", deburr the strut. It can smooth out the trigger pull significantly.

GrayGuns is really your friend when doing an upgrade / refurb. His SRT kit + `ELS kit and you have the Legion trigger setup. https://grayguns.com/product-tag/p229/ I WISH I got a kickback from them, I do not.

Finally, if you go legion, you are locked into 9mm. If you keep your eyes open for a PoPo trade-in P229 in .40 or .357SIG, follow the guides in the above mentioned article, you will end up with an (after you replace the springs and refresh the sights), an essentially new pistol, which with the purchase of a barrel, you can swap between calibers. .40/.357 mags are out there cheap on the surplus market.

If you want 9mm as an option for some reason, snag a BarSto barrel, and some 9mm mags.

Sorry for the long post, but you DID ask.....

Hope this helps.

WB
I suspect you had help and inspiration from Saint Barbara on this excellent post? Although a cannon-cocker saint.... [email protected]$ for the run-down. I threw an SRT GG kit into my P220, so that's familiar ground. Am looking at a used 229 online now in .357, garden-variety. Maybe a project gun. (Retired US Army colonel, SF, MC, and CA -- AD, NG, USAR)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts