SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Other than a little badge, access to accessories I don't want, a purchased status as elite - forgetting aesthetics and pride of ownership - are there real mechanical superiorities in the Legion that are going to make a difference in an engagement from 0-20 meters, or in the fun I'll have shooting at snowballs, plates, or B-27 targets?
(Is there an award or penalty for blog's longest sentence?)
I think you need to dig into the differences a little bit more if you think the badge and Legion club are the biggest advantages. From Sig's website:
The Legion P229 is finished in a Cerakote® Elite Legion gray coating, custom G-10 grips with a Legion medallion, the new SIG SAUER Electro-Optics X-RAY high visibility day/night sights and will ship with three magazines. The P229 in DA/SA include a reduced and contoured Elite beavertail, which allows for a higher grip, but a reduced profile, thus eliminating printing. More aggressive front strap checkering and additional checkering under the trigger guard enhance the grip. An X-Five undercut has been applied to the trigger guard, allowing for a higher grip and greater control. Front cocking serrations provide greater purchase for cycling the action, clearing the firearm, or conducting press checks. The pistol is available in 9 mm and also features low profile decocking and slide catch levers to reduce the risk of snagging. An enhanced polished action with the SRT (Short-Reset Trigger) is augmented with a Grayguns, Inc. designed P-SAIT trigger. In addition, a solid steel guide rod adds weight where it matters most.
So the question is, do these enhancements fit YOUR needs? Nobody else can answer that question. If not, good for you, get one of the cheaper models. For me, I value almost every mod, especially all the frame mods and trigger mods, so I spent the money, and I'm glad I did. No regrets. I carry it all day, every day. But none of my friends know its a Legion. Nor would they care, I'd wager.

The Legion club stuff? Yeah, not so much. But the guns are great.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have a P220 Legion and a stock P220 Carry Nitron. The Legion is a much nicer shooting pistol. Absolutely worth it. My challenge coin is in the kinda cheesy 5.11 Legion range bag but I don’t know (or care) where it is.

Reactions: Dumbdumb

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
While I have a lot of legions - and the best part is the trigger - I went with M11-A1s for carry. I did put the trigger and guide rod in to "legionize" them. Because I don't but lights on carry guns and the M11 are easier for me without the rail.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,426 Posts
It's all about impressing friends. I'd rather impress the criminal with a last thought of "I didn't see that coming."
I even have a couple Sigs with the proprietary rails, since I buy guns to shoot, I don't really care.
No you want them to see it coming with the final thought of, "oh $****" or "Poopy" 🤣

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do not think the Legion is worth the extra cost. I have had both stock 229's and a P229 Legion. My stock gun has the Gray Guns, ELS, SRT and mainspring strut and the trigger is much better than my stock Legion was. Plus I added G-10 Pirahna grips to my stock gun. I thought the undercut and grips would be a worthwhile improvement on the Legion but it was nothing to me. I sold the Legion and bought a second 229 to build the way I wanted it. I bought both of my stock guns used so I could have the extra money to build them into what I wanted. I think my results far out shine a stock Legion and for less money.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I do not think the Legion is worth the extra cost. I have had both stock 229's and a P229 Legion. My stock gun has the Gray Guns, ELS, SRT and mainspring strut and the trigger is much better than my stock Legion was. Plus I added G-10 Pirahna grips to my stock gun. I thought the undercut and grips would be a worthwhile improvement on the Legion but it was nothing to me. I sold the Legion and bought a second 229 to build the way I wanted it. I bought both of my stock guns used so I could have the extra money to build them into what I wanted. I think my results far out shine a stock Legion and for less money.
This approach might save you some money (but not time) but it assumes that one is buying a used gun and then spending the necessary funds to “Legionize” it. This formula doesn’t work if gun buyer wants a new weapon from day one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think you need to dig into the differences a little bit more if you think the badge and Legion club are the biggest advantages. From Sig's website:

So the question is, do these enhancements fit YOUR needs? Nobody else can answer that question. If not, good for you, get one of the cheaper models. For me, I value almost every mod, especially all the frame mods and trigger mods, so I spent the money, and I'm glad I did. No regrets. I carry it all day, every day. But none of my friends know its a Legion. Nor would they care, I'd wager.

The Legion club stuff? Yeah, not so much. But the guns are great.
Very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can tell you after Legionizing a P226 that it is absolutely worth it. It will cost you more to get close to what you get out of the box and you still won't be there. As said throughout the thread, it is a personal decision for sure but to say it's a gimmick is flat out ignorant. A bone stock classic P series pistol is far from a Legion. I don't like the gimmicky nonsense either but it doesn't take away from the fact that they are significant upgrades from stock models.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
In the end its still a used gun and its still not a Legion. It will never carry the premium a Legion does for collectors.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
In my opinion, the changes of the Legion would do absolutely nothing in a gunfight. Nothing, nada, zip. If I was to hazard a guess, the German SIG company did a phenomenal job designing everything up to and including the P229, but SIG needed something exciting to boost sales, so they designed the Legion. Don't get me wrong, the Legion is a nice pistol, but I would not take any opinions seriously that claim the subtle changes would somehow translate to winning a gunfight (e.g. the undercut which is more of an aft cut in my opinion). The only exception to this might be the beavertail. My hands ride very high, and they are shaped in such a way that the standard P229 hits my thumb knuckle. This would prohibit me from wanting to practice with the gun which is infinitely more important than any extra milling on the Legion. The Legion's beavertail fixes this as does the even bigger (and better in my opinion) beavertail of the Elite. If my hands did not need the beavertail, however, I would be inclined to just get the regular P229 and just make sure to add the SRT found on both the Elite and Legion series of pistols (for a shorter trigger reset). I might change the sights as well, but I would not replace them with the X-Ray sights. For most people, I think the P229 is great as is (with the possible exception of the SRT). With the money I'd save I'd make sure you have the sights & grips you want along with the $50 or so for the SRT.

Reactions: bab

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I did also add the Grayguns fat guide rod to my Elite for shooting .357 SIG and .40 S&W, but I use the stock one for my 9mm barrel. I really don't think it makes a difference, but I erred on the side of caution when I bought the pistol to have the extra ounces to mitigate muzzle blast and recoil. Again, it's not worth the price of a Legion in my opinion (which again, is a great pistol, but if someone is on the fence, I would save my money, and it certainly won't up your odds of surviving a gunfight. If someone really likes the features and money isn't an issue, the Legion is a great pistol).

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
In my opinion, the changes of the Legion would do absolutely nothing in a gunfight. Nothing, nada, zip.
I disagree. A better trigger makes most folks more accurate. That's kind of important in a gunfight. I know you go on to suggest upgrading the trigger on a base 229 (which furthers my point above), but that just goes the suggestion that each buyer has to decide for themselves which feature set is important to them.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What it comes down is people with money buy Legions.
If they were as cheap as that Austrian plastic thing no one would say a word.
If you don't like them don't buy them, don't drop garbage about them in this forum.
Agreed…. Or just quietly buy a standard Sig and then put a better trigger system on it along with better grips, sights, solid rod and polish it off with paying another $50 for a 3rd magazine. You can now brag that you would never buy a Legion while you probably paid more in not only money, but the time to buy the extra equipment and then to install it all.

That my friend is what is known as a “ Pyrrhic victory” 😉

·
Registered
579 Posts
Many of us are older and have been buying guns longer than some have been alive. We have owned many and kept that which we like the most. Legions are somewhat new, but we have had many of it's predecessors. I appreciate the features and shoot them well.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I disagree. A better trigger makes most folks more accurate. That's kind of important in a gunfight. I know you go on to suggest upgrading the trigger on a base 229 (which furthers my point above), but that just goes the suggestion that each buyer has to decide for themselves which feature set is important to them.
I can see why you would intuitively believe that, all of us have at some point, but accuracy is NOT as important in a gunfight as you think, and the difference between a standard P229 trigger with SRT and a Legion would do absolutely nothing to up your chances of success in my opinion. How do I know this? To begin with, a review of 1,800 people shot in various gunfights shows us that accuracy is only important to a certain point. If you look at the data, the most accurate pistols (i.e. .45 ACP & .44 Magnum) were NOT the most successful at incapacitating a person. This is what we call "practical accuracy" (which IS immensely important), and it is exactly why what you're saying is not true in my opinion, and this is also exactly why law enforcement does not always or even ever pick the most accurate option even if they have the funding. There is a point of diminishing returns on accuracy whether we are discussing the matter in terms of cost or reliability: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

Moreover, if you watch Steve Jenkins' Youtube videos about Legionizing his P229—after discussing the process with SIG—he concluded their compression/break-in of their springs made the Legion less reliable so he reverted back to the factory springs. Now I am not claiming Steve is necessarily right. That goes beyond my paygrade, but if he is (and his reasoning makes sense), then it's an example of diminished reliability in favor of accuracy. This may be why the Legion in the Military Arms Channel didn't perform as well as the Arex clone. The Legion performed well, but the Arex was better (and better than Glock, actually). Again, I am not claiming MAC's torture test is scientific, but it does support the theory behind what I am saying. Don't get me wrong, if I could have gotten a Legion for near the same price I bought my Enhanced Elite, I would have taken it; but I do not agree it is better or necessarily worth the price, and I am absolutely against any notion people are going to increase their chances of survivability in a gunfight by picking a Legion.

We see something similar for different reasons with the 1911 as it is very expensive to make the weapon (at least these days) both reliable and accurate because of the tighter & stacking of tolerances.

When it comes to triggers, this is what I believe: If you can pull the DA trigger without disrupting the sight picture before transitioning to SA (especially the front sight), the trigger is reasonably accurate and no practical expectation in performance can be expected in a gunfight. None.

This is also why the Secret Service transitioned to DAK. I don't think anyone is going to make the claim DAK is more accurate than DA/SA, but it was still good enough for protecting POTUS because of the pistol's practical accuracy. Similarly, Glock is considered accurate enough. If a person wants to feel marginally better looking at dozens of paper targets and scrutinizing them for marginally tighter groups, certainly the "better" trigger may be worth it. Everyone is different. But where I draw the line is the impression the Legion is a more effective weapon. Practical accuracy is what's important. If people want the most accurate SIG, they're not arguably going to be buying a Legion P229 or P226. They're going to buy a P210 or a P220. As Hickok45 used to be fond of saying, we don't want to get caught up "majoring in minor things".

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I can see why you would intuitively believe that, all of us have at some point, but accuracy is NOT as important in a gunfight as you think, and the difference between a standard P229 trigger with SRT and a Legion would do absolutely nothing to up your chances of success in my opinion. How do I know this? To begin with, a review of 1,800 people shot in various gunfights shows us that accuracy is only important to a certain point.
If accuracy helps to a certain point, why wouldn't I want to have it?

As to the rest of your well thought out answer, I'm not talking about 44's or 45's or Legionized guns or Glocks, etc. I respect that your opinion on an enhanced trigger is of no help in a gunfight. But I still disagree with you.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Legions have the smaller slide lock and decocker levers, neither of which worked well for me. I replaced them with standard size ones, which meant either replacing the grips or doing a little grinding to make the standard slide lock lever fit.

I will note that my P229 Legion has the best trigger of all my Sigs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
IMO the legion is worth the extra money. The trigger is noticeable better, I like the undercut and grip checkering, the sights are a huge improvement and it looks better. Your money, all are personal preferences.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts