SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after shooting about 200 rounds through my never fired P229 Legion 40 cal I was having trouble cycling the slide and jams started occurring. Turns out that on disassembly that the multi-stranded recoil spring was deformed and bent at about the midpoint. On contact to Sig they initially sent the wrong recoil spring, for a P226, but it looked the same except that it was painted blue instead of the yellow of the original. After another call to Sig they sent me a P229 recoil spring but it was now a flat recoil spring, not multi-stranded, and was blue. I am confused as to why the new recoil spring is blue and flat wire and not multi-stranded and yellow like the original. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

馃帠USA Veteran
What's the build date on your P229?

I ask because in late 2017, these yellow springs started showing up in P229's chambered in 40 and 357 and they failed miserably, most within a couple hundred rounds. The P229's that were affected had build dates in late 2016. See attached data sheet:

Text Line Font Rectangle Parallel

View attachment 322888

You certainly don't want another yellow spring, it shouldn't have been in there in the first place. My recommendation is to request the blue multi strand version from SIG...accept no substitutes.

Registered
Sorry this happened to you. Neverthess, it's bothersome. We're talking a P229 Legion here. You'd think that Sig would manage the parts of these guns at the factory. QC fell asleep at the wheel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the build date on your P229?

I ask because in late 2017, these yellow springs started showing up in P229's chambered in 40 and 357 and they failed miserably, most within a couple hundred rounds. The P229's that were affected had build dates in late 2016. See attached data sheet:

View attachment 322890
View attachment 322888

You certainly don't want another yellow spring, it shouldn't have been in there in the first place. My recommendation is to request the blue multi strand version from SIG...accept no substitutes.
Well it seems that the build date on mine is 10-Nov 2016. Guess that jives with the problems others also experienced. Thank you for the prompt info. New to this group but obviously a great group to talk Sigs with.

Registered
My P229 Legion .40S&W was manufactured June 2017 and has the blue spring. Sounds like I just made the cut before the yellow springs started showing up. Must have been during the later part of 2017. I think it got discontinued either late 2017, early 2018.

馃帠USA Veteran
Flat wire springs are the new standard in classics.
So your recommendation is to go with the flat blue spring that they sent to me? It fits way better than the 226 spring the sent me at first :D
P229R makes a good point, and since SIG sent you a new blue flat wire spring, I'd try it out.

SIG put out a version of the blue multi-strand spring with a crimp on each end, purportedly to resolve a problem with the original version "unwinding". I've tried them and don't care for them; they are difficult to mount/dismount from the guide rod and they slow the slide action to the point of affecting feed, especially when running 40S&W.

I've gone back to using some of the original version that I still have in stock but would like to hear how your blue flat wire works out. Keep in touch.

Registered
The yellow spring was only for ICE I believe. Many people reported issues with their guns which were mistakenly assembled with these springs.

Registered
P229R makes a good point, and since SIG sent you a new blue flat wire spring, I'd try it out.

SIG put out a version of the blue multi-strand spring with a crimp on each end, purportedly to resolve a problem with the original version "unwinding". I've tried them and don't care for them; they are difficult to mount/dismount from the guide rod and they slow the slide action to the point of affecting feed, especially when running 40S&W.

I've gone back to using some of the original version that I still have in stock but would like to hear how your blue flat wire works out. Keep in touch.
The .40 SW caliber exchange kit (which was only available as Nitron) I purchased for my P229-9-Legion had the coiled recoil spring with light blue paint that is also crimped on the end. Tight as tick on a hounds ear. I also bought a couple extra recoil springs from Sig for my parts box and those had the light blue painted end. When I would shoot the pistol I could almost watch the slide/barrel going back into battery. Felt very 鈥渓obeing鈥. There were some older threads on SigTalk about the matter. I actually found the German made P229 .40/.357 recoil springs that are painted dark blue on the end and not crimped. I bought 2 (think it was on PlanetOptics) and used one. Worked nicely. So I tried to buy couple more, but no longer available. I might have bought the last two. Then when I purchased a new P229 .40/357 parts kit from Sig the recoil spring was the flat steel, not coiled. I asked Sig about it and they said it was the new version. I then asked, in an email follow-up, if the flat wire was the new version why had they sold and sent me the coiled version with the crimped ends a few weeks earlier? Were they just trying to get rid of bad inventory at my expense? No response.

馃帠USA Veteran
Then when I purchased a new P229 .40/357 parts kit from Sig the recoil spring was the flat steel, not coiled. I asked Sig about it and they said it was the new version.
Have you had a chance to run your 229 yet with the flat steel spring installed? I'm hoping that it performs better than the "crimped" version as I'm wanting to replace the ones I have in spares.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts