SIG Talk banner

P229 Legion 9mm 15 rnd mag capacity

4155 Views 18 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  RedRiver
I recently purchased a P229 Legion 9mm with the 3 included 15 rnd mags. I picked up 3 extra mags later. All of the mags are the "updated" design marked "P229-1." I'll be darned if I can get that 15th round loaded in them, even using an Uplula. Any thoughts on this?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
was a long thread about this late last year

basically what everyone else said, load them, let the springs wear in, eventually they will take 15, magula will help with the 15th round.

Reactions: ScalpeL28

Registered
Quit trying to load it with .40s -- LOL

Ok, now to be serious . There's a chance you have the same problem I had on one of my 3 mags that came with the Legion.

I couldn't get but 13 loaded no matter what I did. I finally disassembled the mag and found that there was an extra follower in the mag. Removed it and problem solved.

Registered
I recently purchased a P229 Legion 9mm with the 3 included 15 rnd mags. I picked up 3 extra mags later. All of the mags are the "updated" design marked "P229-1." I'll be darned if I can get that 15th round loaded in them, even using an Uplula. Any thoughts on this?
I am also experiencing the same thing. I am keeping all the mags fully loaded with 15 rounds and hope this fixes the issue.

Registered
Same here

I have three 229s and I have had the same problem with several of my spare mags. In the picture are two different P229-1 mags. The one on the left says P229-1 "Made in Italy" and the one not the right does not mention Italy. The ones with the base plate button like the mag not the left all hold 15 rounds and all my mags that look like the one on the right will only hold 14 rounds.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have three 229s and I have had the same problem with several of my spare mags. In the picture are two different P229-1 mags. The one on the left says P229-1 "Made in Italy" and the one not the right does not mention Italy. The ones with the base plate button like the mag not the left all hold 15 rounds and all my mags that look like the one on the right will only hold 14 rounds.
The six mags that I have that all seem to max out at 14 appear like the right one in your picture. Have you tried the load 'em and let 'em sit for a few days idea to compress the spring? I haven't yet. I'm hoping that will remedy the problem.

Registered
Before I got my P229 Stainless Elite, I had never loaded a magazine before. I only had a revolver prior to it. It took a bit of practice to get used to loading the magazines. The 15th bullet was difficult but I was able to get it in the 2 magazines that came with the P229.

I ordered an Uplula because my fingers were starting to get sore from rubbing on the mag.

I also bought two additional P229-1 mags identical to those that came with the gun. I was able to get all 15 in them as well. It's definitely tight but goes in just fine.

I tested out the Uplula and was able to get 14 in no problem but there's just not enough room to get the 15th in with the uplula. I have to hand load #15.

I ended up getting pretty good at hand loading and don't use the Uplula anymore.

Registered
Have you contacted Sig about the mags that only hold 14 rounds? The mags that do not sport the "made in Italy" are likely Checkmate. If it's not just a matter of a tight spring, I would get Sig to replace them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Problem solved!
First, I took Oops's suggestion and went to the gym. :D Then I tried loading the 15th by hand. I bit of a fight but you can make it go. Finally I tried the Uplula again. Found that if I put firm direct downward pressure on the very top of the Uplula on the 15th, you gain the extra clearance needed and #15 slides right in! I loaded up 6 mags and will let them sit until I go to range next weekend and we'll see if things loosen up a bit...

Registered
Curious if you guys that have to force the last round in have had any feed issues? When I'm at the range I rarely top off my mags as I find I go through ammo to quickly.. I'll usually load 5 rounds per mag to keep a slower pace and to practice reloads.

With my EDC I don't top off the mag after I load the chamber the mag is one round light.. spare mags only get loaded with 14 rounds..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.