SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P229 jamming problem

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SteveAikens 
#1 ·
So I have owned my 229 for years and love it but recently, the .40 s&w rounds are jamming up on ejection. What exactly is taking place the round will fire, the slide will come back and round is partically ejected and it jamms trying to load a new round in. The crazy thing is that this will not happen with the .357 sig rounds. Has anyone has this problem before and if so can you guide me to a fix. I love sigs I have multiple, new to the forum. Thanks

#2 ·
I would start by taking the extractor out and examining. There may be some build up on the hook or the tension may be out of spec from age/wear and tear. The 357 Sig is inherently reliable due to the design so I wouldn't spend too much time comparing the two.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would look at ejection, extraction, and magazines (just for good measure). Mark you mags, reproduce the malfunction, take pictures, and notes.

All else fails, just send it to Sig for a work over.

#4 ·
you make a good point about the ejector, to be honest, minus taking the slide off and barrel for cleaning I haven't had the bolt or the ejector off in a while. I will start there, take some picture, post and see what you guys think. My dad owned this gun for about 20 years , then it was given to me and I have had it for 5 years. Each year we go to the range about 5 times and each time we shoot 100 rounds per .40 and 100 rounds per sig. So that's 1,000 rounds per year, so I would guess 25,000 rounds. All on what I think is the original barrels and magazines.

#9 ·
Any idea how about going about sending it to sig? You guys are right, would they call me let me know what they are doing and how much ? I love this gun and the more I got thinking about it, and actually putting numbers together about how many rounds went through it, it makes sense. No not reloads and I have tried 3 different types of ammo, Winchester, Remington, and tulvo( not sure about the spelling, but its low quality).

#10 ·
So here in Md, unless you have a lot of land you need to go to an indoor range to shoot your pistol, all the ranges in my area will not let you use your cell phone. Their reasoning is they don't want you distracted ( which I think is a pretty good reason but its hard to take a picture of this without firing it) lol. Its a very early 90's non rail sig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.