SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new P229 has a skippy or lower tension zone for about 15-20% of initial trigger pull . I have never experienced this odd tension range with other weapon triggers, but being new to Sig, was wondering if anyone else had experience with it??:D
Should weapon go back to Sig, or is it normal and shooter just needs more practice time with it, :lol:eek:r will it stabilize with use (I've only run a bit over 400 rounds through it so far) or ???
I have yet to get used to it so I find it throwing me off stride when doing timed/sequence fire or followup shot practice.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Funny Trigger Pull

The .22 might handle differently than a 9mm; I don't know. My answer is for the new P229 9mm.

From what you are saying the culprit could be that the Trigger bar spring is bent or not installed correctly. However, if the Trigger bar spring is OK then a trigger-job will fix you right up.

I had a similar trigger pull on my P228 but instead of thinking skippy or lower tension zone, I felt like the trigger pull increased at the end of the pull. The problem was fixed mostly by doing the sear polish and the flat on the hammer polish part of the trigger job. Here are pictures of where to polish those two places.

Polish where you see the blue on the hammer flat.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If your not familiar with doing this, I'd be very careful and go slow. It's easy to grind the angle wrong. I'm usually the first to say get familiar with your gun and don't be afraid to work on it, but go slow and easy when messing with sear and hammer engagement.

If it's just gritty trigger pull, it'll smooth out as you shoot,
Also, the metal hardness only goes so deep, if you go beyond that you'll accelerate the wear on that part.

Polish, don't grind

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
No Sear Engagement Here

If your not familiar with doing this, I'd be very careful and go slow. It's easy to grind the angle wrong. I'm usually the first to say get familiar with your gun and don't be afraid to work on it, but go slow and easy when messing with sear and hammer engagement.

If it's just gritty trigger pull, it'll smooth out as you shoot,
Also, the metal hardness only goes so deep, if you go beyond that you'll accelerate the wear on that part.

Polish, don't grind
Hi Texas Gentleman,

There is no sear tooth engagement shown between the lines in the two photos above. In double action the rounded part of the sear rubs that flat on the hammer as the sear is pushed from the Safety Intercept Notch to the Single Action Notch of the hammer. This part of the hammer and sear will never wear out.

The post above shows how to fix the problem the OP asked about. Should fjgiie have not made this post in this forum in your view?:D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hi Texas Gentleman,

There is no sear tooth engagement shown between the lines in the two photos above. In double action the rounded part of the sear rubs that flat on the hammer as the sear is pushed from the Safety Intercept Notch to the Single Action Notch of the hammer. This part of the hammer and sear will never wear out.

The post above shows how to fix the problem the OP asked about. Should fjgiie have not made this post in this forum in your view?:D
No Sir, posts like these are great, as I said, I'm the first to promote working on your own firearms, that way you are familiar with the inner workings. I just expressed the importance of caution and taking it easy when working on these components. Go slow.

·
Registered
55,082 Posts
The .22 might handle differently than a 9mm; I don't know. My answer is for the new P229 9mm.

From what you are saying the culprit could be that the Trigger bar spring is bent or not installed correctly. However, if the Trigger bar spring is OK then a trigger-job will fix you right up.

I had a similar trigger pull on my P228 but instead of thinking skippy or lower tension zone, I felt like the trigger pull increased at the end of the pull. The problem was fixed mostly by doing the sear polish and the flat on the hammer polish part of the trigger job. Here are pictures of where to polish those two places.

Polish where you see the blue on the hammer flat.
excellent pics, thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts