SIG Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Amazon certainly got the description wrong. I don't know where you bought it, but that might be another avenue to explore. Either way, I'm sure it's good to go as is, but I would like to see a pic of you melting or burning the plastic! ;)
Hehehe...Won't give the guys any video. But, if it goes badly, I'll provide a pic of the results 馃

馃帠USA Veteran
Yeah. I have two German frame 40 cal 229's (one railel and one un-railed). One has a triggerguard "squared off' with a "spur" at the bottom on the front end, and the other "rounded off". Both have serrations on the front end. Both measure the same as far as the max dimension between the top of the slide and the bottom of the triggerguard (75.5mm). That max dimension is pretty much dictated by the length (extension of the trigger below the frame body) of the trigger as it's squeezed. And, I'm confident that the triggers used in both the German and US frames are the same. Both exhibited the triggerguard interference problem with the "as manufactured" holster. Both holster as they should (inserting and locking, and unlocking and withdrawal/un-holstering) with the altered triggerguard trough.
it used to be when type guard locked into one holster, the other wouldn't lock....strange both types lock.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Amazon certainly got the description wrong. I don't know where you bought it, but that might be another avenue to explore. Either way, I'm sure it's good to go as is, but I would like to see a pic of you melting or burning the plastic! ;)
Well, here's the answer to whether or not the Safariland plastic can be safely re-shaped.
This was the only remnant of holster plastic that hadn't found it's way to the landfill. It's the 3/4" x 1/2" section removed from the floor of the triggerguard trough, and was originally flat.
Slow, gentle application of heat from a 900w heat gun for 2 minutes, followed by a light force to bend resulted in what you see in the pic. Please excuse the shadow...sub-optimal lighting.

Piece was re-formed, without destroying it, or changing it's shape without an applied force. The challenge in the case of re-forming the holster's triggerguard pocket would be uniformly heating the sides and bottom of the pocket (or trough). The floor of the trough would need to be moved more than 3mm without changing the pouch/trough cross-sectional shape.

I'm pretty sure this would be a piece of cake for Safariland mfg folks, but it's not something I'd be willing to take on 馃

Cloud Sky Gesture Wood Tints and shades

Premium Member
I agree. The trigger guard is the one part of the holster you really have to get right. Thanks for sharing!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts