SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a SIG P229 Extreme 9mm. I'm having a lot of trouble when looking at holsters -- most say that they fit the P229 but not the E2, which to me implies my gun won't fit (it uses the newer P229-1 magazines).

I emailed Comp-Tac and they claim that it will fit the "229 9mm w/ Rail (GEN 1)" option from their website, but I'm still skeptical. I ordered one, but it'll take two or more weeks to get here.

I'm also thinking of picking up a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for now since they are available immediately. However, their website specifically says that it won't fit an E2: "Sig P228/P229/P250 DCc w, w/o Std Rail (not E2)."

Has anyone tried a P229 Extreme 9mm on any of these holsters that claim to only fit the older guns?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its almost easier to find a local guy that makes hoslters, Of course I seem to be a special case....

Being wrong handed and my gun is never "stock"....

not sure of the holster makers in your AO, but worth a shot. Not to mention they are normally much cheaper the the name brands.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I bought a BH serpa for my 226 combat It wouldn't fit until I got out the rasp and dremel, now it fit s perfectly..:)

this may work for you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Blackhawk CQC Serpa for my 229 Extreme and it works fine.
Awesome, thank you for helping me figure this out. I'll go ahead and order one for the range and use until I get my MTAC (which the gun hopefully fits :p).

·
Registered
21,384 Posts
I would love a Fobus Kydex hoster for my P229s but they don't make one that fits. They show "P228/P229" on holster models that I have but the P229 doesn't fit. I'm sure the P228 would but not the new P229s.

Fobus has three holsters, either one of which, will perfectly fit every modern P226, P220 and P227, with either Sig's proprietary accessory rail or a true MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail. So one Fobus holster works perfectly with all those Sig models.

But my first P229 SAS G2 with legacy slide (that was eventually replaced by Sig with a newer model) would fit but not well and would have quickly worn a strip of Nitron off both sides of the legacy slide. The slide on the current model P229 is way too wide to enter the holster. I don't know why but the P229's slide is considerably wider than the slides on the others.

I love my Israeli-made and combat proven Fobus holsters but they don't have one that truly fits the P229.

·
Registered
21,384 Posts
Has anyone tried a P229 Extreme 9mm on any of these holsters that claim to only fit the older guns?
The newer P229 slides a considerably wider at the top than the older P229s with the legacy slide. Have to wait and see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the MTAC on Wednesday and let my gun sit in it for two days to stretch the leather. The fit was tight enough that the holster pushed the slide open.

I loosened the two retention screws to the point they fell out, then applied a half turn. Not much better -- with the holster off, the gun would fit. However, while wearing it, the gun would stop at the extractor and start to push back the slide.

I noticed upon closer inspection that the kydex shell portion of the holster actually contours down onto the narrower top portion of the slide. But it stays that narrow on the back of the slide (from the extractor back) where the slide isn't narrowed.

It looks like Comp-Tac was incorrect in telling me that the P229 with rail option would work. This seems to be made for the older-style P229 rather than the P229-1/E2. I even specifically asked about that in my email...

Either way, I'm contacting their customer service today. Hopefully they can send me another shell that'll fit properly.

Oh, I also got a mag pouch. It works great and fits the P229-1 factory mags with no problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I spoke to Comp-Tac customer service on the phone yesterday I got the same guy who I had originally emailed. He apologized for steering me wrong and offered to pay for the shipping to replace the holster with one that has what they classify as the Elite kydex shell.

I verified with him that the shell accommodates a slide that became larger from the extractor back, so I'm assuming it'll fit. He said the turnaround would be around 4 business days (they have to make the new shell after they receive my return).

I've come across quite a few other IWB holster options that look appealing, but I'd really like to stick with the MTAC if it works due to how much I love the MTAC I have for my Ruger SR9c.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts