SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this pistol new about 5 yrs. ago and have fired about 2,000 rounds thru it. I have always had a problem with the right grip screws coming loose on this P229 .40. Constantly tightening them resulted in a crack on the upper right wood grip and a stripped thread on the lower right grip frame. Decided to replace the stock grips with Hogue Piranah G-10 using the same grip screws. This time I also used blue loctite. I never liked the idea of gluing grip screws before but it is the only way I know to repair the stripped frame thread.

Have also replaced the Equinox factory sights with Trigicon SG-03's. The fiber optic filament tube came loose from the rear hole while a very small part of it remained lodged in the front hole when I tried to remove it. The rear sight was very dim and needed replacement. My MGW sight pusher tool did not fit the tru-glo so I removed it with a hammer, punch and WD40. The installation of the new Trigicons was easy. They are much brighter by comparison and guaranteed for 12 years.

馃帠USA Veteran
Not a fan of the try-glo's for that reason.

This fellow put helicoils in my 229 frame when I stripped out a grip screw hole and also did another member's P938. Price is reasonable although shipping bites.
Acc-U-Rail by Doug Jones

Premium Member
Not a fan of the try-glo's for that reason.

This fellow put helicoils in my 229 frame when I stripped out a grip screw hole and also did another member's P938. Price is reasonable although shipping bites.
Acc-U-Rail by Doug Jones
+1 on Mr. Jones. He's put helicoils in a couple of P938's for me, also. Fantastic craftsmanship and I no longer worry about stripping the frame threads.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the helicoils info. I'll give him a call. Just got back from the range and the blue loctite did not keep the bottom screw from flying off or the top screw from loosening. Maybe I didn't have it clean enough? Ordering new grip screws from Midway and noticed they sell a Loctite retreading kit too. No reviews. Lol.

Registered
Before you try the heilicoils try to just buy a tap. I purchased a aluminum frame pistol used a few years ago (not a sig mind you ) and found the first time I removed the grips that one of the grip screws had just been loctited in place because it had been stripped. A quick trip to Home Depot and 3 dollars later I had it retapped & it's been great ever since. ( not sure what size tap you need but I guarantee that someone on this forum will have the answer) I would still use the blue loctite though. I use it on all my pistols that have that style of removable grips. Good luck.

馃帠USA Veteran
Re-tapping will only work if there is enough material left to cut the new thread in, or if you are tapping a larger thread and using over sized screws.

Registered
That was the situation I was in. Luckily there was enough material left to cut new threads.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'll check tap sizes too. I'm new to this forum and encouraged by all the related threads, suggestions and fixes others have tried. Have also been studying at uTube. Lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P229 Equinox stripped grip thread.

Repaired with 8/32" x 1/2" internal hex head button cap screw cut to size (Home Depot). No tapping was required. #60 rubber washers under all screws.

Field tested (100 rds.) and the new screw held, although some very minor loosening did occur. I was shooting 180 gr lead fp reloads over 5.0 gr. Bullseye.

Will pay closer attention to my grip screws in future. This has been educational for me. Lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts