Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New Sig owner here and might just be overly concerned since my Glock owning friends have little wear after much more ammo expenditure.

This past weekend i took my p229 Enhanced Elite to the range and put 120 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 Gr through the barrel without any failures which was great. At the range (refer to barrel markings photo) i noticed that every time i shot, there was some markings on the barrel which i'm guessing was excess oil that i was able to wipe off each time. When i got home however and did a take-down for cleaning, i noticed a lot of wear where the barrel hood meets the slide and also where the barrel inserts into the slide.

Some Notes:
  • i cleaned/lubed it with CLP breakfree anywhere where there would be potential contact and rubbing, and applied the Sig suggested Lucas gun grease on the rails so i'm pretty certain it was ready for the range
  • There has now been a total of 220 shots through the barrel since i purchased it used with 100 rounds through the barrel from an acquaintance. Upon receiving the gun, i visually checked everything and the wear on the slide was nowhere near as bad. It looked almost brand new.

So my question is, is this all normal? to see this much wear just after roughly 220 shots and about 10 A-zoom Snapcap pullbacks?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Good News!

I see nothing in your pics that looks excessive or abnormal. Those are all very typical shinny spots on a SIG P-series pistol. Keep them clean and lubed (I prefer a quality gun grease), they won't progress much beyond what you are seeing already.

Go forth and shoot in peace.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk - and Congrats on your P229!! Those finish wear marks aren't unusual, but are telling you exactly where to lube the barrel and slide. For carry, a light oil is fine, but before busting 100s downrange a generious grease job will protect & keep your pistol looking fresh...

EDIT: Here's a good lube article for ya:

https://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-sig-sauer-pistol-rails/

For perspective, here P225's slide & barrel after 700rds:

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the quick replies. Makes me feel better that this is normal.

Most of my friends have either Glocks, CZs, and one has a stainless 1911 so i wasn't able to get a straight answer since they're saying that their pistols have little wear in those specific locations . Pretty interesting that these wear points can happen so soon on the Sig.

Regardless, I'm loving how the gun looks and shoots!

·
Registered
22,959 Posts
As others have stated, that is normal. It is related to how the SIG Classic P-series pistols lock up for firing. Follow the advice others have given and you will have many years of service from a fantastic pistol.

And welcome to SIGTalk! We hope you stay a while and enjoy the SIG Life with us. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again for all the responses!

Every response has definitely added a layer of comfort for me.

You guys will get a laugh knowing where I'm from.......California<_<

Between getting my address adjusted on my vehicle registration to prove residency, transferring between the seller's FFL and my FFL, shipping times, then the dang 10 day DROS, it took about 24 days from when I paid for the pistol to get it home.

Also took me about 8 years to convince the then girlfriend, now wife to let me own a firearm. All it took was a 2 page letter addressing every possible concern she might have had.

I'm extremely happy to be a part of the SIG family now knowing that as a bonus to owning a SIG, there is a group of really awesome people on this forum, so thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like you put Lucas grease on the rails but put a thick oil breakfree not the clp for the barrel on my enhanced elite when I shot it for the first time I put 150 rounds first trip and was surprised that there was hardly no wear on the barrel! Less than all the Glocks that I have had ! the only one is my glock 43 that has had as little wear as my sig . Maybe a thick oil in those areas might help.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
On some SIGs, the P938 is a good example, but some examples of Classic-P's as well, the underside of the slide has rough or sharp edges that tend to scratch the barrel hood, on the P938 there will often be a sharply defined lateral line across the hood.

Grease on these parts is a help. On a newer gun, this marking can all but be eliminated. Clean and paint the surfaces, especially the under side of the slide, with DyKem (layout fluid). When dry, assemble and cycle the slide a time or two and field strip. The DyKem will be removed on the areas that rub. If these areas feel rough, a suitable stick with a flat end can serve as a sanding pad/holder. Wrap a strip of 320 paper over the end of the stick and use that to smooth the rough areas. Follow with 5 or 600 grit. Do not sand barrel tube or inside of slide muzzle hole.

Keep all these rubbing areas greased. Any good grease will do. Doesn't have to say "gun" on the container (unless you prefer to pay too much). As "The Sig Armorer" recommends, I too use Super Lube grease and oil on my guns (and on my glider wing pins too). Advantage, it's not messy and it does the job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like you put Lucas grease on the rails but put a thick oil breakfree not the clp for the barrel on my enhanced elite when I shot it for the first time I put 150 rounds first trip and was surprised that there was hardly no wear on the barrel! Less than all the Glocks that I have had ! the only one is my glock 43 that has had as little wear as my sig . Maybe a thick oil in those areas might help.
Yeah I thought a light coat on the barrel, barrel hood and slide contact points would've done the trick.. no wear on the barrel itself, just where the barrel meets the slide. Will give it a good oiling again before i go to the range next time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Yeah I thought a light coat on the barrel, barrel hood and slide contact points would've done the trick.. no wear on the barrel itself, just where the barrel meets the slide. Will give it a good oiling again before i go to the range next time.

Thanks!
I think you'll be better served using grease there. Grease barrel and hood, rack slide once or twice. Wipe grease of exposed surfaces of hood.

Grease stays in place better than oil on sliding surfaces.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
FYI, the bare metal area in the barrel opening in the front of the slide that you highlighted in your OP came from the factory that way. They all do. That's the bearing surface that helps lock the barrel in battery. It is final ground after the slide nitron finish is applied. I make a point of keeping that area greased as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you'll be better served using grease there. Grease barrel and hood, rack slide once or twice. Wipe grease of exposed surfaces of hood.

Grease stays in place better than oil on sliding surfaces.
gotcha, i'll give grease a go then. Thanks!

FYI, the bare metal area in the barrel opening in the front of the slide that you highlighted in your OP came from the factory that way. They all do. That's the bearing surface that helps lock the barrel in battery. It is final ground after the slide nitron finish is applied. I make a point of keeping that area greased as well.
I totally thought i created them at the range this past weekend. I had a really hard to finding anything on that slide barrel opening wear on forums or through a google search. Guess i was the only one that didn't know it came factory like that haha. Thanks so much for clearing it up ThnkFrst!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.