SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have just gotten a new P229 Elite Scorpion. At the FFL I pointed it in a safe direction, locked the slide back, looked at the top of the mag, ejected the mag, examined the rear opening of the barrel and stuck my finger in the chamber to feel for a round. All cool so far, normal safety check right? My finger came out looking like I had just shot 200 rounds. OK, I thought, maybe they didn't clean it after test firing it. I got it home and field stripped it. The mag that was in it seems brand new, doesn't smell burned powdery and has the sticky coating most new Sig mags I have seen have. The rails on the slide and frame had plenty of oil but the oil was very dirty also. There was burned powder reside everywhere else you would expect to find it after several hundred rounds.

My question is: has anyone else gotten a "new" Sig in this condition? This is my fourth new Sig (I also have a 20+ year old P225) and I have never seen one in this condition.

·
Registered
22,028 Posts
Every gun I've bought new has always been a little dirty from test firing at the factory. After they test them and verify function they box them up.

·
Registered
577 Posts
"...they confirm accuracy." Hence, the test target I received with a pristine, NIB P228 I picked up at a gun show a couple of years ago. Five rounds at 15 meters, with four holes touching in a perfect cloverleaf. That, in my book, is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
55,688 Posts
who ever you bought it from took it out for a test drive.

welcome from az

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That's not dirt, it's seasoning. :D

·
Premium Member
36,281 Posts
I keep hearing about being real dirty. With two Sigs and one recent STI that has even more dirty reports. I could tell it had been fired but in all three cases I would not consider it dirty, or I have read filthy several times. I found not pristine, but far from dirty. One box or less is not a lot of residue. The STI was soaked in oil and took a while to soak it all away. The pacific is a big ocean to cross.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would think nothing of it. I expect to full strip and clean weapons before ignore them anyway. Just consider it well warmed up for you. The only brand new Sig I bought had already been taken out of the factory plastic bag and didn't have a test target (not even sure they ship this all the time), soI have yet to get a true, factory fresh brand new Sig. Still on my to-do list!

Sent via mobile interwebs surfer

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
It might have had a issue at the Factory during test firing. It could have had several more rounds through it than normal. I would guess/hope some fail and have to have adjustments made, then are tested again. I would think Sig quality control is better than most.
Just throwing out Ideas.

·
Registered
22,028 Posts
Only SIGs made in Germany come with test targets.
I was about to comment on that. Not a single Sig I own came with a target. I don't own an all-German Sig....yet.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts