SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting it soon ( pray I get it as a gift please)

my question is this

is there any history of the decocker failing?
I did notice how nice and soft it drops the hammer down, over time does it stay that way?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
i have never heard of failures, and the gun has a lockout so it will not fire unless you pull the trigger (if you're concerned that you can discharge by decocking the gun). if you don't pull the trigger, the hammer cannot even get close to the firing pin.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
IMHO, the classic P-series decocker is a simple and robust design. I can't recall hearing of even one failure in the years I've been active on this forum.

There have been some issues with the lever hitting the frame and making a ding, of the lever binding on a new set of grips, and even one that wouldn't function properly when a new SRT sear was installed. That turned out to be a defective sear. Some early model P220's need a new design decocking lever when upgrading to the SRT mechanism.

But I don't recall a report of one failing to safely lower the hammer.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It’s a sound design. You’re fine. I’ve had sigs for several years, tons of guys have had them decades.

I mean, technically all the safety devices “could” fail at the perfect time when decocking and it could fire.

It’s just not gonna happen.

However, as with anything, keep it in a safe direction.

Rest easy, sigs are excellent guns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having carried the P226 for duty and P229 off-duty. Firing hundreds of rounds where it was required to decock before holstering. Not once has the decocker failed either for me or my fellow officers.
that’s comforting to know! Thank you for your service in law enforcement.

I also noticed the slide lock on a legion is harder to press ( almost impossible ) will the slide lock eventually give in after breaking it in ?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Since the Legions slide lock is smaller it does present difficulty on locking the slide. It will get easier in time. The standard was a bear when we first transitioned to the P226 but loosened up. I expect the Legion to do the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since the Legions slide lock is smaller it does present difficulty on locking the slide. It will get easier in time. The standard was a bear when we first transitioned to the P226 but loosened up. I expect the Legion to do the same.
God bless brother

say a prayer that the boss (( my wife )) will let me get this as a birthday / Christmas gift 😂😂

·
Registered
56,187 Posts
not all sig de-cockers work the same, 220 requires the full down stroke before the hammer drops.

·
Registered
825 Posts
op if you ever had the sig spart you would see that the decock spring is a hefty beast. Unlike many more modern handguns most of the springs seem almost overbuilt. Tearing mine apart after having taken apart many a gun filled me with confidence and helped make my sig my EDC. Don't sweat it.

As far as slide lock ... I never use them as a slide release. I always sling shot.

There is chatter on some gun boards about learning to use the slide lock to release the slide is good practice because if you were shot in the left arm you could still drop the slide with one hand. If course you would also have to figure out how to get a fresh mag, which i wouldnt have, the likely hood that a civilian will be in a firefight that goes past 12-15 rounds is unlikly and most of the guys who concern themselves with it simply watch to many movies. Learning to slingshot is good practice making it easier release the slide and offering a little more inertia to ensure that first round gets slammed home. Ymmv

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I’ve only messed around with one Legion, that belongs to a friend. It feels like the coating on the slide, causes the lever to be a little stickier than the regular finish. That, along with less leverage with the smaller control, seemed to be a big difference to me.

I don’t use the lever to release the slide anyway, so I would have no idea if it is harder to release In normal use. I just tried it to see if it was comfortable to me. Nope.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
not all sig de-cockers work the same, 220 requires the full down stroke before the hammer drops.
That issue went away on my P220s after changing to the new style lever.

Reactions: bearone2
1 - 14 of 14 Posts