SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm wondering who has an opinion on the two, I'm interested in both, of course budget says choose.

I like the two tone look of the Combat, I like the anodized FDE color a lot, the phosphate and the chrome barrel. I like the M1913 rail, too.

Of course the Legion is what it is, I like the undercuts, I imagine the trigger and sights are great, seems like a great pistol.

Of course $200 or $300 in difference is a motivator too.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I don't think you can count on the Legion having a great trigger unless she is single action only.
I handled a Legion at Buds, just last Thursday and the trigger was terrible. Had a bunch of creep.
I'd plan on sending either to Robert Burke.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Myself I have always been a fan of the combat!

One thing the combat is lacking is the srt, that in itself is approximately a 50.00 upgrade, If
You can do it yourself.
With the legion you get a decent trigger with a sweet reset out of the box, TFO sights? G-10 grips, front strap checkering and an undercut frame.
The biggie is the undercut frame and front strap checkering if those are a must have? All the rest are easy add ons too the combat.

Back to my original statement combat! Add an srt, black aluminum grips and lots of ammunition. After a case or 2 of ammunition for trigger time off to the sig armorer for action tune/carry package?

·
Registered
335 Posts
So, I'm wondering who has an opinion on the two, I'm interested in both, of course budget says choose.

I like the two tone look of the Combat, I like the anodized FDE color a lot, the phosphate and the chrome barrel. I like the M1913 rail, too.

Of course the Legion is what it is, I like the undercuts, I imagine the trigger and sights are great, seems like a great pistol.

Of course $200 or $300 in difference is a motivator too.

Any thoughts?

I've got a p226 SAO Legion, just sold a da/sa legion and I've also got the p229 combat. Hands down the Legion is better (trigger wise) than the combat. Either version of the Legion offers a far superior trigger than the combat. Don't get me wrong I love my combat but to be totally honest I love it because it's a Sig. This is my opinion and I would say if I were you I'd try firing both of them as a range rental. Get the one that fits your needs. If you live in Central Alabama I'll let you fire mine at the local range. Don't judge the trigger from just dry firing. Especially the legion. The more you shoot it the better and smoother that trigger gets. The p226 is offered in SAO and that trigger is the cat's meow. Just my two cents. Good luck and you can't go wrong with either.

"God created men and Sam Colt made them equal"

Reactions: Sloggins55 and cgff

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Man, these are two fantastic pistols! I would recommend handling both and getting the one that just feels best. You can't go wrong either way! Both have their attributes which I really like! I would have loved Sig to produce a Legion/Combat gun that is the best of both, but that wouldn't fit their narrative. :lol:

For me, the Combat would be perfect if it has the low profile levers and under cut. The Legion would be perfect if it had the 1913 rail. Get the one that you like best, though. Then you can always get the other one later. :D

Reactions: Sage46

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Both are great. I've owned a Legion. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but my personal preference- I wished, right away, that I had bought the Combat, instead. While all of the features of the Legion are nice, they aren't necessary for a reliable, quality pistol. The Combat is just fine, and I prefer-
1) The better finish- anodizing- over the finish on the Legion
2) Phosphate coating. That is more useful to me, than most of the Legion features
3) Unique- everyone has a Legion, but the Combat is more rare
4) Practicality- I find that the Combat, even if it isn't as feature-laden, is more practical.
That is a personal thing, and so is this list- I'm listing why I prefer the Combat over
the Legion.

Both have night sights, both offer more than enough grip to handle the gun, both are equally reliable. I appreciate the Legion and what it offers, but I don't see it as a superior gun; just more feature-laden. Like a base model truck, compared to a King Ranch. Same basic truck, just different trim.
Don't discount the Combat, just because it doesn't have all of the frills. It, in its own right, is just as special as a Legion. For my preferences, it is more special.

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
Combat!

(You won't like how the finish wears on the Legion.)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a p226 SAO Legion, just sold a da/sa legion and I've also got the p229 combat. Hands down the Legion is better (trigger wise) than the combat. Either version of the Legion offers a far superior trigger than the combat. Don't get me wrong I love my combat but to be totally honest I love it because it's a Sig. This is my opinion and I would say if I were you I'd try firing both of them as a range rental. Get the one that fits your needs. If you live in Central Alabama I'll let you fire mine at the local range. Don't judge the trigger from just dry firing. Especially the legion. The more you shoot it the better and smoother that trigger gets. The p226 is offered in SAO and that trigger is the cat's meow. Just my two cents. Good luck and you can't go wrong with either.

If only I lived in Central Alabama, I'd take you up on the offer today! I do have a good friend in BHM, I'll PM next trip down.....

Thanks for the input, I plan on this being in the rotation with my P225, and I like the SRT, the trigger on it is nice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, these are two fantastic pistols! I would recommend handling both and getting the one that just feels best. You can't go wrong either way! Both have their attributes which I really like! I would have loved Sig to produce a Legion/Combat gun that is the best of both, but that wouldn't fit their narrative. :lol:

For me, the Combat would be perfect if it has the low profile levers and under cut. The Legion would be perfect if it had the 1913 rail. Get the one that you like best, though. Then you can always get the other one later. :D

Exactly, the Combat Legion, but then I would only be looking to buy one pistol, as opposed to the possibility of two!

·
Registered
335 Posts
What Legion finish issues? I have zero issues with the finish on my current legion 400 rounds and the one I just sold had over 1,100 rounds through it. If you take care and grease the rails a little there shouldn't be any issues. I even stop at the range after about 150 rounds and apply a light coat of grease. In my humble opinion and with personal experience with both of these fine firearms you can't go wrong. If you buy the combat and save a little upfront cash you're probably gonna wind up spending another $250 to get a decent trigger job. This is one of my better looking guns but it has the worst trigger of all my Sig's. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone with this. We all have personal preferences. At the end of the day the worst that happens is you get to come home with a bad ***** sig sauer.

Reactions: Sloggins55

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Combat!

(You won't like how the finish wears on the Legion.)

That is an issue there, $ 1100+ on a firearm and finish issues out of the box.

Just trying to decide which features are must haves. I have small hands and the feel of the legion is nice, the trigger sounds great. As folks were saying with the exception of the undercut and stippling all can be added with $$$$.

All I can do is try to find a place with both.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Here's some of the current guns I own and compare triggers. Nothing wrong with any of them. The combat has a decent amount of creep. It's not had a bunch of rounds through it so it may get better. To me the SAO legion trigger is the best out of the box trigger on the market.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That is an issue there, $ 1100+ on a firearm and finish issues out of the box.

Just trying to decide which features are must haves. I have small hands and the feel of the legion is nice, the trigger sounds great. As folks were saying with the exception of the undercut and stippling all can be added with $$$$.

All I can do is try to find a place with both.

Thanks guys.

I have small hands as well and I promise you the grips on the combat are hefty lol. Be prepared to get g10 or e2 to make it easier for small hands. Not bashing the combat. It's probably my best looking gun. I'm talking specifically as a shooter and overall.

Reactions: aride4ever

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have small hands as well and I promise you the grips on the combat are hefty lol. Be prepared to get g10 or e2 to make it easier for small hands. Not bashing the combat. It's probably my best looking gun. I'm talking specifically as a shooter and overall.

So you seem to be leaning Legion, based on small hands, trigger, carry?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here's some of the current guns I own and compare triggers. Nothing wrong with any of them. The combat has a decent amount of creep. It's not had a bunch of rounds through it so it may get better. To me the SAO legion trigger is the best out of the box trigger on the market.

Wow, thanks, that's really helpful!

·
Registered
335 Posts
So you seem to be leaning Legion, based on small hands, trigger, carry?

Not really on conceal carry. I carry my 225 or 938. There's not much more that you will want to do with a legion but the combats trigger to me Is not a great trigger. Like I said go try them but for the money the legion is hard to beat. I bought my SAO less than a month ago and paid $975 out the door at a LGS. There's good deals out there. If you see a price on it ask him what he really wants for it. There's almost always some wiggle room.

Reactions: Cazadores

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not really on conceal carry. I carry my 225 or 938. There's not much more that you will want to do with a legion but the combats trigger to me Is not a great trigger. Like I said go try them but for the money the legion is hard to beat. I bought my SAO less than a month ago and paid $975 out the door at a LGS. There's good deals out there. If you see a price on it ask him what he really wants for it. There's almost always some wiggle room.

Thanks, I figured the new 229 could wiggle in with the 225 on my hip from time to time. Definitely a fan of my 225.

Any, sounds like you got a good deal. I'll give it a try.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts