SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the sticky on barrel conversion, but I'm still a bit confused. As the options for the Two Step Caliber X-Change Kit:

Two Step Caliber X-Change Kit

Are:

• P229 40S&W Only works with P229 .22LR 2-Step models
  • P229 .357SIG Only works with P229 .22LR 2-Step models

Which one do I go for to if I want 9mm?

Does this kit include multiple barrels which is throwing me?

I don't want to make any expensive mistakes! :D

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you want 9mm, then you need to get the 9mm Two Step Caliber X-Change Kit. I believe it is not listed because SIG is probably currently out of stock. What you get is the complete slide assembly, but with only the one barrel in the appropriate caliber.

It appears that Sig Sauer Guns and Accessories (Osage County Guns) is also out.
Sig Sauer P229 9mm Caliber Exchange Kit 15rd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you want 9mm, then you need to get the 9mm Two Step Caliber X-Change Kit. I believe it is not listed because SIG is probably currently out of stock. What you get is the complete slide assembly, but with only the one barrel in the appropriate caliber.

It appears that Sig Sauer Guns and Accessories (Osage County Guns) is also out.
Sig Sauer P229 9mm Caliber Exchange Kit 15rd
Bugger!

Thanks for the info.

Different place that appears to have them:

http://www.eurooptic.com/sig-sauer-caliber-x-change-kit-p229-9mm.aspx

Says:

"This Sig Sauer Caliber X-Change Kit for the 22 Long Rifle P229 Classic 22 increases the versatility of your Sig handgun by allowing it to fire a more potent centerfire cartridge. Installation can be accomplished in seconds and is as simple as removing the pistol's factory slide assembly and replacing it with the one included in the kit. No special tools, gunsmithing, or frame alterations are required"

Really?? That's all you need to do. But the 9mm is centerfire - That same hammer/pin works? Also the extractor will just work with considerable larger rounds?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Says:

"This Sig Sauer Caliber X-Change Kit for the 22 Long Rifle P229 Classic 22 increases the versatility of your Sig handgun by allowing it to fire a more potent centerfire cartridge. Installation can be accomplished in seconds and is as simple as removing the pistol's factory slide assembly and replacing it with the one included in the kit. No special tools, gunsmithing, or frame alterations are required"

Really?? That's all you need to do. But the 9mm is centerfire - That same hammer/pin works? Also the extractor will just work with considerable larger rounds?
I was not privy to SIG's product plan, but I am pretty sure that was what the "Classic 22" models were specifically designed to do. Also not a gunsmith but I believe the extractor is in the slide. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was not privy to SIG's product plan, but I am pretty sure that was what the "Classic 22" models were specifically designed to do. Also not a gunsmith but I believe the extractor is in the slide. :D
Well that's the extractor question sorted.

I'm just paranoid about these things. Waiting for something to jump out at me. It just sounds a bit too easy!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I have A Sig P229 that came with the 22cal slide kit. I also picked up the 9mm slide kit for it. Have on order the 40S&W slide kit. Waiting 7 months for the 40. Here is a picture of the gun with the 9mm and 22cal slide kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have A Sig P229 that came with the 22cal slide kit. I also picked up the 9mm slide kit for it. Have on order the 40S&W slide kit. Waiting 7 months for the 40. Here is a picture of the gun with the 9mm and 22cal slide kit.
Aha, sweet. Thanks.

How is it? Some people were saying on other forums it takes a while to break in.

I'm a bit concerned about accidentally dry firing it, as I'm told the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. Although if I made the last round a snap cap, that might prevent disaster. OR just pay attention, but that's never my strong point! :D

I can't find it in stock anywhere (without a huge mark-up). I DID find a 22LR conversion kit for my P226 on ebay though (last one left), so small victory there. Damn these kits are scarce!

BTW/ Would you mind if I asked what ammo you use for the 22 and where you get it? I want to get a stockpile going!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I use CCI 22lr mini-mag, Remington also work. Hard to find 22's. If you want to give this guy Mike down here in Florida a call for the 22 kits. He had two last week when I was their. One or two kits for which Sig I can't remember. His shop (OL Time Gun Shop) Rt. 52 Hudson Fl. Tel.# 1727-857-1661. I bought my two 22 kits from him. One for the P229 and one for my P220 45acp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts