SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P229: Are there any caliber conversion barrels other than 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 SIG

Are there any caliber conversion barrels out there for the P229 other than 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 SIG?

I have .357, .40 and 9mm, but with this ammo crunch the way it is, I was wondering if there is anything else.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Well you could be ingenious, and have a custom barrel made in .30 Lugar/7.65 Parabellum for use with a 9mm slide. Bar-Sto would likely make a barrel for you. I believe Bruce Gray had them make one for a P220, so they have the chamber reamer, and bore tools necessary.

Ammunition is available... https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/765-para-30-luger

·
10,811 Posts
Another possibility could be the .22 TCM 9R, again if Bar-Sto would make a barrel...

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another possibility could be the .22 TCM 9R, again if Bar-Sto would make a barrel...
Now that's an attractive thought. That caliber is FUN to shoot.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
Ah, you said caliber conversion barrel. I half read that as "what other caliber conversions are available". :D

Reactions: Sheepdogged

·
Banned
89 Posts
Or just buy a 45 since I did not see that in your list.

regarding the x-change kit - I understand you wanting to keep the same package and shoot all but a dedicated 22LR pistol is going to be cheaper that the kit. That is if you already have the ammo

·
Registered
481 Posts
So... just hypothesizing, here...

I could put a P228 slide on my legacy P229 frame, so long as I run a p228 locking insert.

If that’s true, could I put a P225/P6 slide (Same as P228 slide, right?) on said P229 frame? And use either a P228 locking insert or a P225 locking inserts?

I ask because I have a P6, not a P228. And if for some crazy reason I want a double stack P6... It could work. Maybe. Or maybe not.

EDIT: I tried it. P6 slide won’t fit. Looks like the frame/slide rails are different sizes.

PSA: don’t try to turn your P6 into a P229.

·
10,811 Posts
.45 GAP would fit in the grip, probably have to customize a mag, and have a barrel made but the cartridge OAL would fit in the 229 mag
You would also have to widen the breech cut in the slide, to accept the case head, which is .470" diameter, while the .357 Sig/.40 S&W case head diameter is only .424"!

Yes, you would also have to widen the feed lip area of the magazine too. as you can see, the width (diameter) of the case head would not allow the case to rise up far enough in the current P229 magazine to be fed. Roughly shown by this .45 Auto case, as they share the same case head diameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
You would also have to widen the breech cut in the slide, to accept the case head, which is .470" diameter, while the .357 Sig/.40 S&W case head diameter is only .424"!

Yes, you would also have to widen the feed lip area of the magazine too. as you can see, the width (diameter) of the case head would not allow the case to rise up far enough in the current P229 magazine to be fed. Roughly shown by this .45 Auto case, as they share the same case head diameter.
Definitely would have to be a gun made just for that caliber. Well, slide assembly and magazine.
Has anyone ever made a gun in .45GAP other than Glock? I don't think I've ever seen one.

EDIT: I found a few old ones on The Net.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
The real impediment to caliber conversion barrels to non-standard (for the particular gun) caliber is the need for magazines for that caliber and the frequent need for a slide made to that caliber's size. Which may require a unique recoil spring and a unique extractor.

Hard to see many companies willing to invest in that much development.

Now, I would LOVE to have an all-steel P220 in .460 Rowland. I keep thinking about it. There is a conversion available for that. :drool:

·
10,811 Posts
Definitely would have to be a gun made just for that caliber. Well, slide assembly and magazine.
Has anyone ever made a gun in .45GAP other than Glock? I don't think I've ever seen one.

EDIT: I found a few old ones on The Net.
GBIA, Glock is the only manufacturer that I'm aware of producing the .45 GAP.

.38 super. Would be a nice round for a 229.
Cartridge Overall Length for a .38 Super is too long for the P229s Magazine... 1.28". That's why it was introduced as an alternate caliber in the P220, when the P220 was first commercially introduced.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
GBIA, Glock is the only manufacturer that I'm aware of producing the .45 GAP.

Cartridge Overall Length for a .38 Super is too long for the P229s Magazine... 1.28". That's why it was introduced as an alternate caliber in the P220, when the P220 was first commercially introduced.
Now if somebody would make a .38 Super conversion kit with a milled slide compatible with the modern P220, I would try a .38 Super. I haven't had any interest in a 1911 in that caliber, or.the old.carbon slide P220. But I wouldn't mind trying it on a.modern P220.

·
10,811 Posts
Now if somebody would make a .38 Super conversion kit with a milled slide compatible with the modern P220, I would try a .38 Super. I haven't had any interest in a 1911 in that caliber, or.the old.carbon slide P220. But I wouldn't mind trying it on a.modern P220.
If they would sell the slide "blanks", like they evidently do for the P320/P365 models, someone could!

·
Registered
138 Posts

If someone had an extra .40 P229 converting it and building it into a .45 GAP would probably be an interesting project if nothing else, one thing is for sure it would probably be a one of a kind forever lol, the extra girth would more than likely drop mag capacity down to 10 rounds also .....impractical build but I would find it interesting :cool::D

·
10,811 Posts
If someone had an extra .40 P229 converting it and building it into a .45 GAP would probably be an interesting project if nothing else, one thing is for sure it would probably be a one of a kind forever lol, the extra girth would more than likely drop mag capacity down to 10 rounds also .....impractical build but I would find it interesting :cool::D
The magazine would "one" major hurdle.

The other would be barrel outside diameter, the P229 is .560" O.D. while the .45 Auto P220 barrel is .590" O.D. and the P220 tube is somewhat thin walled. While the muzzle port of the P229 slide could be enlarged to handle the larger diameter tube. I'm not sure if revision of the barrels lugs would be necessary, and/or possibly the Locking Insert for it to tilt into lock up.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
Okay, now!

Let's stop thinking about creating an abomination of SIG Sauer and anything.....Glock. (shiver)
:thumbsd:

:p

:lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts