SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a "Made in Germany" P228 at my local gun store in very good condition. They are asking $900 for it. Is this a reasonable price?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I came across a "Made in Germany" P228 at my local gun store in very good condition. They are asking $900 for it. Is this a reasonable price?
With no pics, it's nearly impossible to tell.

That said, "Made In Germany" P228s means different things.

Is it truly Made In Germany, with triple serial #s (frame, slide, barrel) and German proof marks?

Or is it Made In Germany but assembled at SIG USA (in which case, no proof marks, and only single serial # on the frame)?

The former is more valued to many, since it was truly made in Germany. And then, factor in original stuff that came with the gun (like test target, manual, and box with original labels) to raise its value.

·
Registered
363 Posts
$900 is an odd price for that gun. Like 12131 said, if it's a true German firearm, that's a pretty good price and I would definitely go for it. If not, $900 is a steep price. I wouldn't pay more than $800 for it, would reasonably be looking to get it for under $700.
Keep in mind, this is assuming the condition of the firearm is good

·
Registered
991 Posts
"Made in Germany" , "Made in West Germany" (as late as 1995) OR made with parts made in Germany and assembled in the US?
Those tell a lot about its manufacture date - you also should check for German proof marks and date codes. All German Sigs cost more, but West German p228's are higher priced.
$900 is more than I'd pay unless pristine condition.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I will have to go back and check serial numbers, etc.
I love the look of the slide without an external extractor.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Welcome, and a nice find. $900 does seem high priced.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
You've gotten good advice above about what to look for when you go back to see it again.

When you do, also make sure its very good condition isn't due to refinishing.

If it's triple-serialed with original box, manual, and test target, and is in very good condition without refinishing, then $900 is probably on the high side of reasonable in the current 228 market. Go for it if it's something you want.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I recently saw one at my LGS in really good condition, with the box, for $750.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I paid $700 at my LGS for a 98 triple serial with six 15 Rd mecgar mags, trijicon hd sights, a jm kydex aiwb and a comptac ctac. No box no target and about 85-90% of original condition. Some honest holster wear and some evidence of high speed mag changes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
agree that 900 is too high. if it's a newer assembled in the US gun, DEFINITELY not, but even if it's german-proofed...800 tends to be the high side of real german 228s that have been fired

·
Registered
227 Posts
Found a M-11 A1 walking around at a local gun show last Saturday looks unfired since factory with all for 700. I think I might have done OK. Have found 228's the same way. Last one was a pristine 2 tone for 500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 228 says Made in Germany on the slide so it was assembled in the USA. It is in excellent condition, but no box or factory accessories. I paid $500 for it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Way to high if it's a Germany marked P228. If it's marked West German and like new with a box and target it might bring $900.

If it's a Germany marked slide, I wouldn't be a buyer above $600 even in excellent condition. They just don't bring the premium of a West Germany marked triple matched P228

We need some pictures to accurately appraise it.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I paid ~$425 for the triple s/n German P228 that I EDC OC a couple of years ago. Last year I bought a triple s/n W.German P228 last year for $450 and it is a Herndon, VA gun. I say both are 90% at least.

The ONLY way it would be worth $900 is if it is NIB and has ALL paperwork and tags and 'real' German ...not a 'half breed".

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My 228 says Made in Germany on the slide so it was assembled in the USA. It is in excellent condition, but no box or factory accessories. I paid $500 for it.
Just because the slide is marked only Made in Germany does not necessarily mean your P228 was assembled in the U.S. If there are German proof marks then it was also made in Germany. It would just mean your SIG was made after 1995.

If it's a Germany marked slide, I wouldn't be a buyer above $600 even in excellent condition. They just don't bring the premium of a West Germany marked triple matched P228
A disciple of the "W". ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just won a Sig P228 made in West Germany with 2 10rd West German magazines, test target, case for $655 on GB.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts