SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 used German P228s at a local pawn shop for about $1,200 for both. Both have the B serial #. Both have some slight slide wear, but not too bad (mostly holster). 1 has post and dot and the other has night sites. Rifling is good on both. 1 comes with 2 13rnd mags, the other only 1. All mags are the zippered back.

I don't have the $ to pick them up. I actually considered selling my AR (which I love and is my only one) to pick them both up. Sooo, who would do that or not? Also, why or why not?

Reactions: mgentry4

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I don't believe that there is a nickel's worth of difference in the German made versus the American made. After saying that, I would love to have a German made Sig just say I had one. I'm not sure I would go for two, but that is just me.

Excuse me, I forgot that I do have a German Sig. I've got a beautiful P6. Sig has worked on it for me and it is one awesome pistol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally don't like getting rid of any guns so I would rather save up and just pick up one of the 228s. That being said, depending on the AR they're not a hard weapon to find if you ever wanted to pick another one up. Hard choice but I'd keep it and save up for one of them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My AR is a M&P15T. It would be fairly easy to replace in that regard. I could even build one finally.

I may even be able to find a buyer/trade for one of the 228's and get a replacement AR that way.

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Run, don't walk, to your gun shop. Buy at least one of the 228s. Best SIG ever made, IMHO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I only buy one, which one? Is there something in the serial #?

·
Registered
720 Posts
228s, I've learned, belong to two very different people:

1) The people that want a really good, quality made gun that they know will be fun to shoot and dependable when needed

2) The people that want all of the original trappings and want to lock it away in a safe (poor guns, being caged up like some trophy wife)

I, personally, have a German 228 in my sights that will be for carry. But, that's just me.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Carried one for many years on duty. Price seems a little high. $450 with little ware would feed my desire to have one for old time sake.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If I only buy one, which one? Is there something in the serial #?
Well, it depends what condition they're in, as bearone2 pointed out if either has the original box, target, that will help you get the most money out of that gun. If they are shooters, sans box, target, you may or may not get back what you put into it, no guarantees there. Are either West German with triple S/N on the frame, slide & barrel or German, you can check the slide to confirm that, also look for the 2 letter date code under the dust cover (KA, KB, KS, KD, etc.), that will tell you what year the gun was made, if after 96' or so they stopped the codes. Are they all original, grips, sights, or have they been monkeyed with, re-finished? all things to consider, do the barrel smiley check to see how much barrel wear is shown, and just looking at the barrel hood should also indicate how much wear. Get some pics if you can, that should give us all a better idea of what you're looking at.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
$1000 ARs are a dime-a-dozen. They don't make 228s anymore.

Reactions: incar

·
Registered
738 Posts
Both the P228's were assembled in NH around the year 2001 or 2002 aprox., thats assuming they were built in NH.

Get both 228's only if they have their original box's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going back tomorrow to do a little more looking at them. I've got a little better idea of what I'm looking for now. I know one has been altered as far as grips.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, went back and checked again. The one with 2 mags has the box. It's a blue LEO box. That one is in better condition. The other one looks like the sights where changed, grip were changed, 1 mag and no box. However it is the one with the triple serials.

The box doesn't have the target, but does have the manual. If I was to buy both (assuming the second is still there when I do), I'd probably send the second in for the CPO treatment and carry it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So, went back and checked again. The one with 2 mags has the box. It's a blue LEO box. That one is in better condition. The other one looks like the sights where changed, grip were changed, 1 mag and no box. However it is the one with the triple serials.

The box doesn't have the target, but does have the manual. If I was to buy both (assuming the second is still there when I do), I'd probably send the second in for the CPO treatment and carry it.
The only thing I would say is to take a look at GB, they have a bunch of 228's listed, and see which guns look to be what you are thinking of buying, and compare condition, box or no box, etc. at least it may give you a better idea.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only thing I would say is to take a look at GB, they have a bunch of 228's listed, and see which guns look to be what you are thinking of buying, and compare condition, box or no box, etc. at least it may give you a better idea.
That's a good point. Basically I want it to own and use. I was thinking of the second one to possibly sell. I know it's not gonna be appreciated in this town lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts