SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was at the range yesterday and my P228 exploded. It appears the powder pressure exploded out the back of the cartridge. I'm ok. The gun is toasted though. I don't know what warranty looks like on firearm replacement. Do they do you right when you have to replace an older gun?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
It doesn't hurt to ask but I'm guessing no warranty.
Got pics of the damage and the cartridge?

Good to hear you are not hurt.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,004 Posts
As the others have already indicated, not enough information present. Photos of the remains, including cartridge case remains will give clues. If you are correct about an overpressure round, then the manufacture of the ammunition would be liable. Sig will generally only cover due to defect in material or design, that's one reason they specify factory loaded ammunition.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
9,905 Posts
Wow! Sorry that happened to you but glad you are okay. I'd call Sig and at least ask the question. Who knows they may offer to help you out.

Reactions: ClayD

·
Registered
817 Posts
If it was a factory round I would look to the ammo maker for compensation

If it was a reload you made I would look in your wallet for the funds
Direct and to the point. Liability may rest with someone other than the firearm manufacturer, sometimes the owner. I hope it was factory ammunition in this instance.

There is also something which Sig owners often forget - warranty coverage limitations.

(From the Sig website)
This limited warranty is null and void if the firearm has been misused, damaged (by accident or otherwise), fired with handloaded, reloaded or improper ammunition, fired with an obstruction in the barrel, damaged through failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as described in the manual accompanying the firearm, or if unauthorized repair or any alteration, including of a cosmetic nature, has been performed on the firearm. This limited warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear of any parts.

Yes, many of us shoot reloaded ammo without ever having any issues, but now and then something happens - even with the the FFL06 ammunition manufacturers. Keep your ammo boxes until after a range session, just in case.
Another thing to remember are those 'modifications' we all make - the sights we changed OR that funky aftermarket guide rod... Keep all the original parts and return your pistol to factory condition should it ever have to go back to Sig for warranty work. None of us want anything which could cause the rejection of a warranty claim.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I’m curious if this would apply with the cosmetic clause in the factory warranty info? Warranty coverage is a hot topic in the auto industry with claims ultimately being honored because the manufacturer has to follow the following consumers protection law. The law is not product specific.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product.
If Sig says they won't work on your gun because it's modified, what are you going to do? Hire a lawyer? Not worth the time and effort.

I sent my P229 Legion to Sig twice for failures to extract. I put the original controls and Legion grips back on for each trip. Sig, by the way (I think it was Ryan Gagneux), was fantastic each time. Quick turnaround.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I’m curious if this would apply with the cosmetic clause in the factory warranty info? Warranty coverage is a hot topic in the auto industry with claims ultimately being honored because the manufacturer has to follow the following consumers protection law. The law is not product specific.

Thank you for this. I think in terms of auto warranties mostly. It had been said that Corvette would not honour warranty if you modified the computer settings, even if you merely set everything to exactly factory specs (often a 30-50 HP improvement). This would say that is not allowed.

?Is the a federal statute or a particular state.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thank you for this. I think in terms of auto warranties mostly. It had been said that Corvette would not honour warranty if you modified the computer settings, even if you merely set everything to exactly factory specs (often a 30-50 HP improvement). This would say that is not allowed.

?Is the a federal statute or a particular state.
This is under the federal trade commission, bureau of consumer protection. Fed law enacted in 1975.

·
Premium Member
US Army Veteran
1,070 Posts
So was at the range yesterday and my P228 exploded. It appears the powder pressure exploded out the back of the cartridge. I'm ok. The gun is toasted though. I don't know what warranty looks like on firearm replacement. Do they do you right when you have to replace an older gun?
Hey Ruprict, you out there? Got lots of interest, how about more detail. Pics work too! ;)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
depending on the age of the pistol I'd bet whomever you want to cover any expenses will want to know how it was maintained...when were the springs changed if ever, how many rounds fired, etc.

Bill

·
Registered
576 Posts
Please post pictures. Exactly what is damaged on the pistol?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts