SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building a P228 using a 80 percent lower from Matrix precision and their P228 parts kit. Some of the pins were extremely tight to instal. Today I took the pistol out to test fire it and it only fired in double action. It would not fire in single action. I planned on installing the SRT but wanted to figure out this issue first. Any one have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trying to stay with the basics here.

The P228 comes in either SA/DA or DAO.
Which parts kit did you get ?

Clarence

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Trying to stay with the basics here.

The P228 comes in either SA/DA or DAO.
Which parts kit did you get ?

Clarence
Now that right there is a good question! :)

What happens when you cock the hammer manually? Does it stay cocked? If it does, then the hammer is DA/SA. Check that the sear and it's tension or sear spring are working properly, if that spring was left out, it's likely a DA/SA gun would only work in DA, as the sear is not needed for DA function. The sear may not hold the hammer back when the slide cycles to the rear - this should be easy enough to check.

Consider, for DA to work, the trigger bar hook goes into the hammers DA notch, pushed up by the trigger bar spring (which also functions as the trigger return spring. When you dry fire DA, as you allow the trigger bar to go forward, you will hear the trigger bar "snick" back up into the hammer DA notch, then, as the trigger is pulled, the hammer cocks until the trigger bar rides on the underside of the hammer pivot pin and is cammed down to release the hammer.

SA works entirely differently, with the safety lever (on the original design) or the trigger bar (on SRT guns) pushing the bottom of the sear forward to release the hammer.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
It didn't state in the item description. How do I tell if it is the SA/DA or DAO? This is the kit I purchased Complete German Sig Sauer P228 9mm Parts Kit Refinished for P229 - $300.00 : Matrix Precision, High Quality Parts
Try to cock the hammer by hand . . . does it stay back cocked? Then the hammer is DA/SA. Now pull the trigger - does it drop, then sear and stuff are working. Put a pencil, eraser end first down the barrel and point the gun up and dry fire, does pencil go up due to hit by firing pin?

Heading out for dinner, so will see what develops here later . . .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I see it has a decocking lever which would mean that it is a SA/DA kit but what came in the kit and what is missing or not assembled correctly is up to the masters of Sig's here.

Clarence

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try to cock the hammer by hand . . . does it stay back cocked? Then the hammer is DA/SA. Now pull the trigger - does it drop, then sear and stuff are working. Put a pencil, eraser end first down the barrel and point the gun up and dry fire, does pencil go up due to hit by firing pin?

Heading out for dinner, so will see what develops here later . . .
I can cock the hammer back with my finger and it stays cocked. If I pull the trigger the hammer doesn't drop (with the hammer cocked). If the hammer isn't cocked and I pull the trigger then the hammer will cock back with the trigger pull and fire. I do appreciate everyone help and ideas with this.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Can you post a picture of the right side of the frame with the grip removed

With hammer cocked, when you pull the trigger the trigger bar moves forward. There's a small rectangular "tab" on the top of the trigger bar (shown in gray in the following link, post #3), which operates the safety lever (green) which in turn pushes the sear (blue) very slightly forward to release the hammer (you have to look carefully to see the sear move).

There are several things going on in the animation, you are interested in the trigger bar being able to move up, into position, pushed up by the trigger bar spring. Examine how the spring attaches to the trigger bar - it's easy to get that wrong. Also, it's possible the grip is binding the spring or other parts.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/21916-classic-line-pistols-how-they-work-animation.html

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts
bumper, OP has also posted in another thread, on P series classics. He has grips off pics from both sides. I have no reference to go by, I thought the sear pin hole may have been out of spec, or even the hammer pin hole.

My focus now, after seeing both threads, would be possibly a DAO/DAK trigger bar instead of a DA/SA trigger bar.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
Willard, from the one pic that I've seen in the other post, it looks to my eye to be a DA/SA/DAO trigger bar. Couple more pics wouldn't hurt though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the first picture you can see the trigger bar, safety lever, and the sear behind it. In the second picture you can see that the trigger bar bumps into the safety lever which engages the sear. On a double action pull this all moves together fine and then fires. If I cock the hammer it all meets up but when the trigger is pulled nothing moves / happens.

Attachments

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
If I cock the hammer it all meets up but when the trigger is pulled nothing moves / happens.
I'm assuming that when you pull the trigger in SA mode (hammer cocked) that the trigger bar moves. Is that correct?

When you pull the trigger in SA mode, does the trigger make contact with the frame and stop or does it stop sooner?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts
Johnnny13, based on what WE can see, I'd speculate either your safety lever, or sear is the problem, if the trigger bar isn't a DAK model.
As I mentioned earlier, remove your slide, cock your hammer manually, and pull the trigger... if the sear doesn't move that means there is a problem with the interaction between the safety lever, and sear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'll strip the pistol down again tonight and look for the issues that have been pointed out. I'll also try installing the SRT as well. I looked online to compare the DAK to the DA/SA and it looks like I have the DA/SA model. I'll order another one just to ensure I'm correct. I appreciate everyone's help with this. I initially decided to build this for fun and the satisfaction of it. I also wanted to commemorate my time in Iraq working for DOS as a contractor. My serial number reflects it 0517 (2005-2017). Diplomatic security uses the P229 and I wanted to build the same model but to my liking.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
When you get it disassembled, take a close look at your trigger bar and safety lever to make sure that they are DA/SA components and not DAK. I'm 99% sure that your trigger bar is a DS/SA looking at your pics but can't see enough of the safety lever to say. Here's a pic of the two designs to help you:

Auto part

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry that I haven't been able to get to it yet. I appreciate everyone's help. I'm sure I can get to it this week or weekend. I've been busy restoring USMC dirt bikes. I wound up getting 8 of them. I have two up and running. Of those two one is painted and just waiting on the material for the seat to arrive so I can reupholster it.

Attachments

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
Been thinking about your P228 problem and feel the problem is quite possibly related to the safety lever; either the wrong P/N or a worn/damaged lever.

If you have a spare safety lever, it would be a simple matter to swap it out and check the pistol function. If you don't have a spare, I could mail you one for the trial. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Today I took the pistol out to test fire it and it only fired in double action. It would not fire in single action. I planned on installing the SRT but wanted to figure out this issue first. Any one have any suggestions?
For clarification, are you saying:

1) The hammer won't strike in SA, does not move or trigger won't break?

or...

2) The hammer strikes, but no round is fired?

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
I can cock the hammer back with my finger and it stays cocked. If I pull the trigger the hammer doesn't drop (with the hammer cocked). If the hammer isn't cocked and I pull the trigger then the hammer will cock back with the trigger pull and fire. I do appreciate everyone help and ideas with this.
For clarification, are you saying:

1) The hammer won't strike in SA, does not move or trigger won't break?

or...

2) The hammer strikes, but no round is fired?
Based on the OP's post above, my understanding is that the hammer doesn't fall.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.