·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Any SIG is great.

My vote is for the LEGION

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think this really depends on what you're looking for. I've had a 227 Tac Ops for a year now so I'll offer my take on that gun. I've put something like 600 rounds through it, hollow points, cheap stuff, etc etc. No malfunctions. It's very accurate as well (not that that needs saying about a Sig).

I do have a few criticisms. While I can appreciate the extended magwell grips in the tactical role, they didn't work for me so I picked up some Hogue G10 grips (which I love). Additionally, I'm very mixed on the fiber optic TruGlo front sight that Sig puts on the Tac Ops. I love the fiber optic and how bright it is, but recently the fiber optic came loose. While this certainly doesn't render the gun inoperable, I expect better out of a $1400+gun. I called Sig and they sent me a new front sight under warranty. Whether you blame TruGlo for bad manufacturing or Sig for selecting a bad sight doesn't really matter, the sights are the last thing I should have to worry about on the Tac Ops. Outside of that, I love the gun. The SRT is great, I like the beavertail (despite claims that it doesn't do anything on a Sig, I still like it). The front serrations are nice if you like that sort of thing. To me, where the Tac Ops sells itself is as a complete package. You get an awesome gun with effectively a full combat load of magazines, and the bragging rights of buying the nicest possible 227 (if you like bragging rights).

My opinion on the P220 Legion doesn't matter much, but given the chance to choose right now between a Tac Ops and a P220 Legion, I'd still go Tac Ops. Fits my needs better.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Yeah, agree P227 TACOPS is a fine pistol! But, you really need to sharpen your mission for this gun.

My objective was a bedside gun, and after >1,200rds, couldn't get comfortable with her 14rd mags' reliability. We traded for FNX-45 Tactical, that's a big 15+1rd handgun, mounted an RMR optic, weapon's light and Osprey suppressor - She's NOT for carry, but a great home defense pistol!

P220's a great 45 single stack gun, with a much narrower grip frame that's easier for many to shoot well. A Legion would have a very nice trigger too.

These are very different feeling guns, so I'll suggest that you visit a gun range and rent & compare 220 & 227 to make sure you're comfortable shooting the fatter grip framed 227

Cheers

·
Registered
189 Posts
You probably won't see a P220 Legion for a few months.

You could probably grab the P227, shoot the snot out of it, by the time you see the P220 Legions in stock you'll know if you want it more than the P227.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
The P220 Legion was shown at SHOT 2016 (full-size and carry) and it still hasn't been released.

You won't like how the finish wears on the Legion.

I would recommend not committing to a P227 until you get a chance to hold one and see if it fits your hand.

All of that being said, I would recommend any P220 currently available as all are absolutely awesome. Very accurate and boringly reliable. ;)

I love the P220.

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would recommend not committing to a P227 until you get a chance to hold one and see if it fits your hand.

All of that being said, I would recommend any P220 currently available as all are absolutely awesome. Very accurate and boringly reliable. ;)

I love the P220.
I agree with that sentiment. If you buy a new P220, you may decide you don't want a P220 Legion after all ... If it ever ships.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I say wait for the P220 Legion SAO. I love my P226 Legion SAO, and my husband's P226 Legion DA/SA is excellent as well(no issues at all with either Legion).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Get the TacOps. I was in the market for one a few months ago. Couldn't find one anywhere. I ended up getting a P227 Tactical and then got some TacOps grips (I put the E2 back on but that is another story).

I'm not seeing a lot of love online for the P227. Articles and even posts are rare. With the way SIG works, who knows how long the line will remain in production. Every gun store and every gun show has plenty of Legions. You don't see too many P227's. I like rare and strange firearms. I think the P227 fits in that category. Save up and get the P220 Legion later.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, I wasn't able to see specs on the Legion but if it follows suit of the P220 line in .45 ACP then it'll have an 8 red mag +1 in the pipe vs. 14+1 for the P227 TACOPS= advantage TACOPS. If it's more a question of a carry piece= advantage Legion. Comparable triggers (actually identical @10 lb for DA and 4.4lb SA. Question is Capacity, ergonomics, and Availability or, better carry weight, and finish. If I had a Legion I wouldn't be carrying it except to the range or to show it off but, that's just me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would say the 227 tacops. It's really a matter of preference, there both great. I like the extra capacity of the 227 though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts