SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I recently had to replace my original recoil spring in my p227 after about 2500 rounds because one of the three wires was broken and I though I'd better change it out.

Now I am having a problem with the gun failing to pick up rounds out of the magazine. It appears that the slide is moving forward too fast with the new spring and the rounds are hanging up on the top of the chamber and getting jammed under the slide before they can enter the breech area.

I'm using the SIG factory green replacement spring.

What do you guys think I should do?

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
That sounds odd. Have you verified that the magazine is fully seated and the rounds are not nose diving?

Reactions: disseminator

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
disseminator, is it all of your magazines? Does it only occur during "rapid fire", or also during "slow fire"?
It would be hard to imagine magazine springs weakening that soon, but it is one of the logical explanations. Also a dirty magazine could create the same condition, with a "slow" follower.
When was the last time you have cleaned your magazines?
If cleaning your magazines shows no improvement, I would suggest at least getting 1 new magazine, to see if that solves the problem. If it does, it would appear that you may need new magazine springs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had three magazines with me at the range and that was my first thought as well and they all behaved in the same fashion.

I'm starting to think I got an extra stiff new spring as the gun is much harder to rack than it was before. It's the same spring as in my p226 40/357 (the green one) so I think I'll swap it out with the one from my 226 and see what happens.

I don't have any more spare's so I'll order a few more as well and we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
You received a recoil spring that is too strong for the gun.
The slide is not travelling far enough back to allow the next round to rise into position for the hammer lug to strip the round off the magazine.
It will also accelerate the forward movement of the slide, exacerbating the problem.

Reactions: disseminator

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You received a recoil spring that is too strong for the gun.
The slide is not travelling far enough back to allow the next round to rise into position for the hammer lug to strip the round off the magazine.
It will also accelerate the forward movement of the slide, exacerbating the problem.
I think so too. Do you think it would be a bad idea to cut of a little bit of the unpainted end of the spring to reduce it's rate a bit?

I'm gonna order some new ones anyways so.....

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
No. I would order a 3-pack from SIG and try a new one.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not ordering new springs now.

I found another new one in my SIG parts box. I also found a Wolff #19 for the p220 so I may give that a try as well.

I'll report back after I try them out.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts