SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum friends,

I ask for an unbiased response to my issue/problem (maybe not a problem since either way should be a happy result).

Here's my two gun story.....

Gun#1 - FNX-45 with about 100 rounds through it. - My Gun.
Gun#2 - P227 Equinox with about 150 rounds through it. - Buddy's Gun.

My issue/problem.....

I can only afford to have one of the two (so no keep both responses please).

So I can either.....

1. Keep my FNX-45 and pass on the P227 Equinox.
-or-
2. Trade in FNX-45 + around $250 and pick up the P227 Equinox.

Thoughts (as unbiased as they can be in a Sig forum)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Well, I have both of those specific guns.

The P227 Equinox is going for about $900 new right now on GunBroker. I paid a bit more when I bought mine.

The FNX-45 is going from about $700 to about $1100 new right now on GunBroker, depending on the variation of the FNX-45.

Personally, I think the P227 is a far better-built gun. I haven't had any issues yet with my FNX-45 but I haven't shot it that much. I just know that there are things about it that I think should be built more sturdy.

The P227 Equinox is much more comfortable to hold and shoot and you can swap out grips on it.

The FNX-45 holds a more bullets (15+1) but you can get 14-round extended mags for the P227 (14+1).

You could try a counter-offer of your FNX-45 plus $100 or $150?

Since I have both, if I were to give up one of the two, I would give up the FNX-45. But I would try to get a little better offer.

Reactions: Big Cape and sigke

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well Fletch, how well do you like the 227?
Do you shoot it better than your FN?

The little time I have had with the FN at the range has been fun. 15+1 is a kick. It has a full manual of arms which was one of the initial things that drew me to it, but over time it's not something I now put on my short list when looking at firearms. Its a thick gun no doubts.

The P227 feels nice and I have even less range time with it but I enjoy a full metal gun. Weight oddly enough is about on par with the FN. Looks are take it or leave it and its growing on me.

Tbh if the situation hadn't presented itself to me (i.e. Bud is going to stay with his 9s so the P227 is on the chopping block) I wouldn't have been looking to ditch my FN but its here so now I need to deal with it.

Both are nice shooters with the P227 being a bit more comfortable in hand and I like the sights better then the FN (but for the extra cash I'd need to layout for the 227 I could remedy that).

My guess is the P227 will hold its value more than the FN over time.

Thoughts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I think you should run a couple hundred more rounds through the FN before making a hasty decision.

With that said, it seems like you already know what you want to do and if that's the case, follow your heart and get the 227.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess for full disclosure if it helps the discussion.

My bud's asking $675 for a like new P227 Equinox.

Maybe I figured my FN's value to low/high ($425?) as I would need to sell it and make up the difference out of my pocket.

The P227 Equinox Buddy Price seems like I shouldn't pass it up but my FN would need to go since I need to make the wife happy.

Thoughts now?

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Good deal on the Equinox!!
I would ask a little more to sell the FNX-45, unless you want to move it quickly to buy the P227. :)

Reactions: Fletch and Big Cape

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recently faced a similar dilemma. Really wanted the new Legion. The only way I could swing it was to sell my FNX 45. Loved that thing. Very well made, high cap, felt good and shot it well. Sold it and purchased the Legion. I shoot it better. It feels better. Very happy with it. If the 227 was available when I bought the FNX, I probably would have bought it and not even be looking at the Legion now. Shoot both side by side and you will know which one you want.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
The little time I have had with the FN at the range has been fun. 15+1 is a kick. It has a full manual of arms which was one of the initial things that drew me to it, but over time it's not something I now put on my short list when looking at firearms. Its a thick gun no doubts.

The P227 feels nice and I have even less range time with it but I enjoy a full metal gun. Weight oddly enough is about on par with the FN. Looks are take it or leave it and its growing on me.

Tbh if the situation hadn't presented itself to me (i.e. Bud is going to stay with his 9s so the P227 is on the chopping block) I wouldn't have been looking to ditch my FN but its here so now I need to deal with it.

Both are nice shooters with the P227 being a bit more comfortable in hand and I like the sights better then the FN (but for the extra cash I'd need to layout for the 227 I could remedy that).

My guess is the P227 will hold its value more than the FN over time.

Thoughts
Okay, so feels great in the mits and you actually prefer the sights of the p227. Tbose are 2 big statements imo.
If I were you, I'd go for the p227.
Good luck amd keep us posted!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your input.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being to hasty with this decision and given the price I don't think I can go wrong, but then again this is coming from someone who does a majority of his grocery shopping at arms reach from the check-out counter.

I'll have to rethink my expectation on the price of the FNX-45 as well.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Money is secondary..........6 months from now, you won't recall what you spent.

Get the gun you really like.

I'm a bit biased, get the 227.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Wow! The pricing mentioned on both of these pistols are 'distress' sales!! Both of these are great weapons - Wonder why they're offered so cheap?

I have 227 SAS in my winter carry rotation. She's a really fine shooter! FNX-45 Tactical equipped with RMR red dot optic, Osprey suppressor and white light is our bedside gun. She's the most powerful handgun I own!!

Two very different guns serving 2 different duties.

Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also have both and love them both. The P227 I love a bit more just because I've never had a gun fit so well in my hands. I shoot the lights out with it.

Take the money out of it and go with the one that you are more comfortable with. If I read your post correctly, you're $250 out of pocket on one of your options.

$250 is a cheap price for a gun you can confidently and comfortably defend your life with.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
$250 for an FNX-45? Put me on the list. I had an FNX-45, a basic black model, and took it to the range one day. The guy next to me asked if he could look at it and promptly offered me $625 cash for it. Since I live in Illinois we had to do the FOID routine and wait three days but he was totally happy with his purchase.

I then bought an FNX-45 Tactical in FDE to replace it. I own a p220, p227 and p320 CA in 45. I love them all. Each is different and has it own characteritics. Today my ranking would be 220, FNX-45, 227 and 320 (I have a preference for hammer fired guns.). The ranking could change in a few months with more time at the range with each.

The FNX-45 is classified by reviewers as a battle weapon. It is not as refined as a p220 or p227 IMO particularly the trigger, but it sure is fun to shoot. For $250 I would keep it, or sell it to me, and actually try the two out side by side before making a decision.

Anytime you trade in a gun, like anything else, you take a big hit. I think you would regret letting it go at that price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess for full disclosure if it helps the discussion.

My bud's asking $675 for a like new P227 Equinox.

Maybe I figured my FN's value to low/high ($425?) as I would need to sell it and make up the difference out of my pocket.

The P227 Equinox Buddy Price seems like I shouldn't pass it up but my FN would need to go since I need to make the wife happy.

Thoughts now?
$675 buddy price doesn't seem that great. I got a factory new 227 equinox a month ago for $750 out the door on gunbroker. How many magazines is he including in this deal?

·
Registered
89 Posts
when I grab a fnx, I feel like my hands have shrunk....

I have average size hands and the 227 fits my hands sooo much better than a fnx. and the fnx grip hangs below my hang about as much as the extended mag on the 227.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.