SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Got this brand new P226 X-six. I have noticed a few things i dident expect. There is a small gouge near the notch for the slide catch, a corner that have a uneven line, and last huge machine marks inside the slide. Are theese normal? Im acutally most supriced bu the small gouge, and the uneven bevel on the corner. I mean, is it not automatic machines that made theese cuts!? Sorry for my english, its not my natural langue, hope i make sense ;)

Wood Bicycle part Rim Material property Bicycle frame
Kitchen utensil Wood Utility knife Knife Tool
Wood Gas Hardwood Machine tool Plywood

·
Registered
195 Posts
I compared your photos to my X-Five Allround slide and it appears I have somewhat similar machining marks on the slide at the barrel end but nowhere near as pronounced.
From your photo, it kind of looks like there is no wall between the barrel and guide rod. This seems odd to me. Is this the case or is it a weird angle I just can't wrap my head around?

For a brand new X-series gun, those cuts and marks do seem a bit too much IMHO.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Machining metal is just like anything else that requires a cutting tool. Depending on where your particular piece falls in the life span of that tool, your finish will vary. Even items that are “one of a kind, hand built” are subject to the condition of the tools. Even that flare out in picture #2 can be the result of wear, throughout the process. The software that controls the machine, is set at a specific tolerance, at a specific point in time. Those points of reference change during the life of the product line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I must admit, when i buy a pistol this expensive, i had expected better finish. I know its a great gun an all, and it will probaly shoot great! But my Taurus PT92 have better finish/machining, and that is a bit dissapointing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I compared your photos to my X-Five Allround slide and it appears I have somewhat similar machining marks on the slide at the barrel end but nowhere near as pronounced.
From your photo, it kind of looks like there is no wall between the barrel and guide rod. This seems odd to me. Is this the case or is it a weird angle I just can't wrap my head around?

For a brand new X-series gun, those cuts and marks do seem a bit too much IMHO.
Thanks for the reply :) It does have a wall, it just further in ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the reply :) It does have a wall, it just further in ;)
The X-Six slide is longer so that makes sense.
I will say this though, I've noticed that my Allround gets scratched fairly easily. After a year or two there will be marks and scratches on it, if you actually shoot the thing. Then again, I understand you wanting a new gun to look like a new gun, especially at this price point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Send the pictures to Sig, my guess is they will send a new slide. Do not accept that poor level of quality.
Wouldent the new slide need to be fittet to the frame by a sig gunsmith? I think i heard something about slide and frames needed to be fittet together when buying a new slide?

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Wouldent the new slide need to be fittet to the frame by a sig gunsmith? I think i heard something about slide and frames needed to be fittet together when buying a new slide?
Assuming you can find a new slide, it may or may not need to be fitted, but 99.9% of the time, the slide will fit right in. This is for any guns and not just the guns. You see pistol uppers being sold all the time for caliber conversion and replacement purposes. I have yet to hear one needed to be fitted. I bought a X6 Skeleton upper previously and put it on the X5 Open lower. Worked just fine.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Just checked a mid-90's P229 ejection port, in battery, all exposed edges perfectly smooth to the eye. P229 rail from 2007 smooth, P229 GOTM (nickle) from 2004 the same, with smooth internal surfaces also. I have a stainless from P226, made in Germany, that had rough internal edges and the flats adjacent to the hammer - scratched the sides of the hammer in short order. I fixed it with an extra fine diamond hone. Point being, just 'cause it's from Germany, doesn't mean it's right.* The X guns may get extra attention, but they are not custom guns.

*In the interest of full disclosure, I'd point out that I'm a Brit by birth. You'll remember, we won - the Supermarine Spitfire trounced the BF-109. Looked nicer too. I rest my case.

·
Registered
56,272 Posts
Just checked a mid-90's P229 ejection port, in battery, all exposed edges perfectly smooth to the eye. P229 rail from 2007 smooth, P229 GOTM (nickle) from 2004 the same, with smooth internal surfaces also. I have a stainless from P226, made in Germany, that had rough internal edges and the flats adjacent to the hammer - scratched the sides of the hammer in short order. I fixed it with an extra fine diamond hone. Point being, just 'cause it's from Germany, doesn't mean it's right.* The X guns may get extra attention, but they are not custom guns.

*In the interest of full disclosure, I'd point out that I'm a Brit by birth. You'll remember, we won - the Supermarine Spitfire trounced the BF-109. Looked nicer too. I rest my case.
are you brits are still ****** about the tea thingy in boston??

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it boils down to this; if the marks and scratches bother you, you can go back to your dealer and ask if they have another one you can trade it for. I don't know about the availability in Denmark but over here X-series guns are not exactly common and since Sig Germany went belly up it's not like they can just order a new one.
That leaves you with the option of trading it in for something else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys. The amount of paperwork, and time it will take to replace it with another one is massive, and it dont bother me that much. I was more supriced, since i have only owned 1 Sig before, and the finish on that one was just absolutly perfect. It was a P226s, so i had expected the same attention to detail from the X-six. il just shoot it nad enjoy it as it is, im sure it will shoot great when i get to try it out :)

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I have yet to hear one needed to be fitted.
To counter Q, I ordered an XFive slide to use with my XShorts, and the slide required fitting. Sent it off to Robert Burke, and when it returned it fit every X-series frame I had.

Reactions: dmacc3

·
Registered
20,181 Posts
Assuming you can find a new slide, it may or may not need to be fitted, but 99.9% of the time, the slide will fit right in. This is for any guns and not just the guns. You see pistol uppers being sold all the time for caliber conversion and replacement purposes. I have yet to hear one needed to be fitted. I bought a X6 Skeleton upper previously and put it on the X5 Open lower. Worked just fine.
Years ago (8 or 9) I bought a new slide for my 1981 P225. SIG would not sell me the slide unless I sent them the frame for "fitting". It seemed odd to me to do this, but I went along with it. Obviously, this was before their caliber conversion kits. Now, they'll sell you a slide no problem. Just weird how times have changed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts