SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about suppressing, P226 .40 and I am reading, in other forms, that it's difficult to suppress .40 cal. I find that strange since the muzzle velocity is 950-1200 ft/sec or right around a .45 cal. It was suggested that convert to 9mm and suppress it any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
40 suppresses just fine. I have a BarSto 40 threaded barrel on a P229 with Osprey 40 suppressor (get a 45 cal suppressor, still quiet and more calibers).

It does make more sense to suppress a 40, for a home defense weapon, over a 9 mm, as you can use ammo with more energy while staying subsonic.

Registered
... I am reading, in other forms, that it's difficult to suppress .40 cal. ...
What bumper said.

With 180+gr ammo and a good can you can break 130dB which puts you in the ballpark of a half decent 9mm can.

A good 9mm can with 147+gr ammo will still be ~10dB quieter than a good 40.

It's not difficult to quiet 40 but it is difficult to quiet 40 as well as 9mm just as it is difficult to quiet 9mm as well as 22lr.

Registered
suppressing .40 doesn't seem very popular. only good reason I have heard is that because many 40s were originally designed as nines, most .40 barrels are too thin to support threading. That may be why you can't find a Sig barrel to suppress.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I went with most everyone's advice and had ordered an RX 9mm conversion kit. Side note; calling Sig they gave me a pretty hefty discount for the CALIBER X-CHANGE KIT, P226, 9mm, RX, BLK (with a standard barrel), 3 P226 20rd 9mm Extended Magazine, plus Barrel, P226, 9mm, 126mm, Chrome/Phosphate, Threaded for less money than its list on the Sig website for just the conversion kit. Nice job Sig!

Now I will need to get a can for 9 mm.

Registered
I'm planning on suppressing one of my P226s as well. Mine's a 9mm and I'm waiting on a silencerco barrel. I was thinking about an rx conversion for mine too, just for fun. Post some pics when you get it!

Have you given any thoughts to suppressors? I'm currently leaning towards a Silencerco Osprey 45 due to its multi caliber use.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I have not started researching for a suppressor yet. I will post some pics once the RX kit arrives. The RX conversion kit should also solve the problem of the suppressor blocking the stock sights.

Registered
My SilencerCo Osprey 45-K eats everything from .22 through .45 with no issues. It's a top quality can that is great on all my pistols and PCC's.

Reactions: Martok

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok got my conversion kit plus 3 20 round mags and threaded barrel. Here is a pic; off to the range tomorrow to sight it in.

Having some trouble getting the picture to show from Dropbox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.