SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P226 scorpion

3K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  PennyForTheGuy 
#1 ·
Just bought my first pistol. Pick it up in T-minus 9 days , 23 hours.

What should I do, buy, watch, or read next?

#20 · (Edited)
I guess the color does it. Not a true Scorpion, as you probably figured out. I'm not a chrome or bright metal guy, and generally like black guns. So, this was something different for me. As far as holsters go, after acquiring a drawer full like everyone else, I ended up with a couple of El Paso Saddlery Belt Slides. While only friction retention, they have the gun tight into my side to the point where love handles and beavertails might not get along. To pull my firearm one would be digging into my ribs with some gusto, plus it has to come straight out, which is 15 degrees forward. I do have some other actual retention holsters I use if I know I'm going somewhere more crowded. These carry tight enough to my side that they are rarely noticed, under my arm at 3 o'clock. While that may not work too well for you, where you live, they work great as a CC holster as well. Incentives to not gain weight!!!

I also have a 686 Plus for when I need my shine on....

Black holster is lined, brown one is not. I would not do unlined again, but the Nitron seems to be holding ok, just seemed to really suck the lube off the gun.

Before these I tried a DM Bullard Belt Slide. That sits almost straight up, very little cant and dug into my ribs from the second I put it on. Quality is great, application not suitable for me.

Attachments

#16 ·
Just like me, I see you are trapped like a rat in one of those 10 rnd states! I guess I am fortunate that I can drive to any of the states around me and buy "hi-cap" versions and bring them back no problem.

#8 ·
Welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana. What should you do?... well if you plan on carrying it, you'll need a holster! If you have never carried a handgun before then 9 days plus 23 hours will not seem like enough!

Same goes with ammunition... first you're going to need to break it in, make sure you get full power loads, as the Sigs have tight tolerances and stiff springs, so you want to cut down on malfunctions. Stay away from aluminum or steel cased ammunition initially! After it's broken in, it may work okay, personally I will not run it through any of mine. Not that it will necessarily hurt the pistol, but the cases do not react the same as brass, as far as expanding, and contracting from being fired, so may cause extraction problems.

Make sure you read the lubrication thread here in Sig Talk. Most recommend grease where metal parts slide... and oil where they pivot / turn.

Reactions: M1sterE
#9 ·
Welcome from Texas and congrats on your P229 Scorpion!

Besides ammo get you a cleaning kit and some lube (oil and grease).
Clean and relube before you head to the range. New guns are often covert with preservative oil to prevent corrosion while they're waiting for a new owner on the shelf.

Once you got her - clean, lube, shoot, repeat.

#10 ·
Another welcome from Texas.. I would agree with others.. Ammo, ammo, and more ammo.. especially if you like to shoot.. I am a member of an indoor shooting range and go once a week.. Ammo goes pretty fast especially if you have a pistol you like to shoot...

#22 · (Edited)
Two DM Bullard BTB holsters (Beteeen The Belt) Belt goes thru the slot and holster is between your belt and your pants. It works great with the 938 and NOT AT ALL!!!!!!!! with the 226. Just too much iron, gun and belt stick out like a growth on your side, and a big huge gap on either side as the belt comes back to meet your waist. Live and learn. I would have trouble putting this 226 in a kydex holster, tho I do have several and use them with other firearms. Might be fine, just my hang up.

Attachments

#28 ·
I assume you mean to use... I'd check with the range you are planning to shoot at, they should know of any restrictions. If there isn't any restrictions, then get what you want to shoot. Googling California ammunition regulations, I guess the "lead free" requirements were for hunting, in the "Condor" zones initially.

Try Products listed in 9 mm HANDGUN AMMUNITION

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.