SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was recently pointed out to me that my P226 SAO Legion's recoil spring is a bit heavy. While watching slow-motion video a fellow shooter noticed how my front sight was dipping when the slide comes back into battery while shooting. I ordered up a few lighter weights from Wolff and ran one through most of today's match. When I went to load and make ready for the 4th stage it took significant effort to rack the slide and felt like the Wolff spring was binding up. Thankfully I brought the stock recoil spring with me so I swapped it out and was back in business.

Is this a known issue? Does anyone know if the braided springs come in lighter weights?

Thanks, guys.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
The P220 and P226 share recoil assemblies. The P226 9mm uses a 16# (Orange) spring, as the original P220 did, with the folded carbon steel slide. the P226 .357 Sig / .40 S&W use the same as the current P220, 20# (Green) spring.

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
sig recoil springs are coded for a reason & yes, a even a new sig recoil spring is noticably stiffer when racking the slide.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mean to sound like a jerk...but I have absolutely no idea what those two posts have to do with my issue. :confused:

Question 1) Is there a known issue when using Wolff's recoil springs instead of SIG's braided?

Question 2) Does SIG offer lighter weights than standard?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Question 1 - I'm not aware of any problems with Wolff springs, but then I've only been dealing with Sigs since '94.

Question 2 - Yes, as I pointed out, the P226 9mm recoil spring, currently color coded orange is 16#, and what was initially installed in the original P220s back in the '80s. The green coded spring is 20#.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question 2) Does SIG offer lighter weights than standard?
Question 2 - Yes, as I pointed out, the P226 9mm recoil spring, currently color coded orange is 16#, and what was initially installed in the original P220s back in the '80s. The green coded spring is 20#.
That sounds like a no. If a 16 pound spring is standard in the P226 and their only other offering is a 20 pound then no, they don't make anything lighter...

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Was there something wrong with your scores? If you were shooting well I'm confused why you would be so alarmed after someone pointed out an observation or in other words an opinion. I know you said you watched video but do you have comparable video of the same firearm and set up with another shooter, maybe that's just characteristic of your Sig and your grip/form? I'm not knocking your shooting, I am asking why the need to change if you're doing well? The original spring will lighten up quickly if you shoot it competitively, I haven't heard of any problems with Wolf springs but don't discount that you may have gotten a faulty one. It's trial by error, I just think you should consider you may have the right package in the beginning.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was there something wrong with your scores? If you were shooting well I'm confused why you would be so alarmed after someone pointed out an observation or in other words an opinion. I know you said you watched video but do you have comparable video of the same firearm and set up with another shooter, maybe that's just characteristic of your Sig and your grip/form? I'm not knocking your shooting, I am asking why the need to change if you're doing well? The original spring will lighten up quickly if you shoot it competitively, I haven't heard of any problems with Wolf springs but don't discount that you may have gotten a faulty one. It's trial by error, I just think you should consider you may have the right package in the beginning.
Nothing "wrong" with the original, I've got 3,650 rounds on it. I'm a 1911 guy and it's common practice to tune your recoil spring to the loads you're running. Since I like to tinker I bough a few different lighter weights to try out. It ran fine with the Wolff 15 pound for around 100 rounds before something started binding up in there and racking the slide became extremely difficult. That's what prompted the thread, no alarm I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts