SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

P226 SAO Legion with Holster issue / question

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  LegionMamaseeta 
#1 ·
I Purchased this gun for IDPA which I am just getting into. The holster I chose was a Comp Tac OWB paddle design made from Kydex. Today I ran the gun thru the holster about 50 times and have noticed (I hate to even say this) marks on either sides of the barrel that run maybe 1.5" lengthwise to the barrel and are about 1/16" wide. It is obviously coming from the inside of the holster. Not trying to bash Sig but just wondering if this is to be expected when using this type of holster. I cannot speak highly enough of this gun relative to shooting it as well as ascetics but would like to know that this is to be expected.
Thank you for any feedback. Steve

#3 ·
Hi,

Well certainly not expected but it happens with this finish.

The finish is weird! Some of these rub out with oil. Seems to burnish it more than wear at first anyway.

Mine is showing wear at the trigger guard. A tiny bit as you're describing but it rubs out. I use a Vedder IWB kydex and have it tight so not surprised.

The "problem" is the wear doesn't look cool. My blued steel 1911 looks better every year as it wears but this finish is all down hill...

Firearms can be refinished! I'm sure as we progress there will be threads about aftermarket applications that are tougher.

Glad you're happy with it anyway!

E Buzz

#5 ·
Got any pics? Here is mine at 1000+ draw strokes.

That holster is not Kydex, it's injection molded plastic. It's smoother on the inside than ether Kydex or new leather. That's why i'm a fan injection molded plastic. I spray the inside of mine with a shot of nonstick spray and wipe off any excess with a cloth.

Bottom line. Holster's have a way of making guns more sexy.

#7 ·
Chicks dig scars... ;)

You'll want to verify IDPA rules about the width of the handgun for competition. I was told by my RSO that since I'm planning to use my P226 Legion SAO 9mm for IDPA, that I'll need to have the right side of the ambi safety removed or milled off to narrow the overall width. Per the rules he told me that this particular model is too wide. He has competed and he has also spent a long time researching this particular model.

He was actually envious and at the same time, ****** that I bought one before he did. He swears he was telling me about it one day and that he shouldn't have because now I have one and he doesn't! Lol! Great guy, just kidding around with me. I took him to the range with me last week so he could try it and he LOVED it so he's definitely gonna have one before I see him again. I just know it.

Anyway, I'm gonna go check the rule book out too. I haven't participated in IDPA yet so I still need to finish reading the rules but if what he says is true, I'll have to make sure I can get mine sent out for work and get it back in time for my first competition.

Good luck!

#12 ·
Hey goodguywithagun, thanks for the link to the IDPA Rules. Section 8.2.1 (F) says that the gun must fit in the gun test box with dimensions 8-3/4" x 6" x 1-5/8". That's helpful. Now I have to figure out what the best way would be to remove the right side of the ambi safety while keeping it looking factory.

I'd be interested in knowing which Kydex holster brand has the soft liner too. :)

#14 ·
LegionMama-I have my Legion at the gunsmith right now. I told him to mill off the right side safety to get me slightly under 1.625. I did call Sig first and they still do not have a single sided safety to retro. They also told me to take a little off both sides which I'm not a fan of since it would give you less material to activate the safety in a timely fashion. This gun should be in the esp class for IDPA and you must use the safety during the course of fire.

#15 ·
I'll definitely look into the local IDPA and see if they offer any small variances. I have a hard time thinking that the width issue due to a safety switch, really affects a person's ability to shoot more precisely or more quickly. :)

I'm lucky enough to know someone who does amazing machine work so if I have to get mine modified, at least I've got a trusty resource who won't charge me. He better not if he knows what's good for him! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.