SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, the last finger grip is mainly my concern. That is why I referenced the 365.
the 226 has that little hook at the end for your pinky while the 229 does not.

**perhaps a pinky mag extension (if it’s available) is the way to go with a 229???

my main concern Is “comfort”
I don’t want to spend 16-1700 on a legion and not enjoy shooting it. I have a cheap canik.. tp9sfx. Full size, and awesome to shoot at the range. Love the grip and feel with the shape of the back strap with my meat paws but ready for something quality that will stand up to my 1911.
Well as noted I'm right there with you and can tell you that not only does the 226 fit my hands great, my 226 Legion SAO is one of the most accurate and enjoyable guns I own (and I own a lot of different handguns). No reason to spend that much either, you should be able to find one for $1300 or less BNIB

·
Registered
53 Posts
My vote goes to the p226. If it's not meant to be carried, then getting the larger pistol, to me, is superior than going with a slightly smaller version. IMO, neither are considered a great concealed carry pistol this day and age unless you're dead set on the 229 platform. I went with the 226 for the largest pistol I could comfortably shoot, and then a p365 for ccw.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Hey guys, new here.
looking at picking up a new sig pistol. I cannot decide for the life of me between the p226rm or the p229rm. Yes rm model because MA sucks.. it just makes the search more difficult.

I’ve done a bit of research on the two. They seem very close with exception of size. The 226 is just a little bigger.
I have big chunky hands and am worried about the 229 being to small.. I do not want it to feel like I’m shooting the p365!
(Nobody around here has one for me to hold so it’s a gun broker buy)

I thought your personal experience might help me with this.
I also would like to ask if there are 2 variants of the legion cerekote coloring? I see some with the silver medallion on the grip and some with the bronze..

I don’t intend to carry this new sig.. if I do it will not be often. I have a “cheap” shield as a ccw already that I don’t mind getting beat up.
If I could only find an emperor scorpion this post wouldn’t exist 😅😅
These legions are my second choice.
Thanks for any insight you may share
I have been issued several of each, and own several of each. I have long hands, bigger than those of many others. I don't think you will have a grip problem. A young woman I taught to shoot for her own self-defense chose the P229/40 and shot it very well.
I see only two issues: concealability and round count. Frankly, if you need more ammo than the P229 holds, you got out of bed on the wrong day. I have been able to conceal M1911s since I was in my 20s, some, ahem, 50 years ago. I still do, frequently. Get the right holster and the right clothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, new here.
looking at picking up a new sig pistol. I cannot decide for the life of me between the p226rm or the p229rm. Yes rm model because MA sucks.. it just makes the search more difficult.

I’ve done a bit of research on the two. They seem very close with exception of size. The 226 is just a little bigger.
I have big chunky hands and am worried about the 229 being to small.. I do not want it to feel like I’m shooting the p365!

I also would like to ask if there are 2 variants of the legion cerekote coloring? I see some with the silver medallion on the grip and some with the bronze..

I don’t intend to carry this new sig.. if I do it will not be often. I have a “cheap” shield as a ccw already that I don’t mind getting beat up.
I have both, I think the trigger was, is better. Then again my 229 is DA/SA, my 226 is SAO.
Love my sigs....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey guys, new here.

one of each, and have big hands. Fact is my wedding ring size Is 15. I and I don't have any problem with gripping either weapon. Is my suggestion Is not just asking about them they go flying some And hold on better yet find a place little rent you one to shoot.
Bottom line why not just buy 1 of each You'll be happier in the long run I did. Grin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, new here.

Get both now! Thank us later!

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,813 Posts
This a tough choice. I say by them both and, in time, sell the one you like the least.

Go ahead, I dare you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys, new here.

If you have a big enough hand and no wrist problems (arthritis) you might enjoy the heft and feel of the 226. If you were to carry the P226 is on the big side. It would print with all but bulky clothing. I think you would like the size and stability of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One day, back in 1980 something, I went to my local gun store with six hundred bucks in my pocket to buy a new, highly polished stainless steel Colt Python with a 6 inch barrel. I came home with a new W. Germany P226.

One night back around 2000 something I was on Gunbroker looking for a 1911. I came across a new 357 Sig P226 with a cool one piece (E2) grip plus 2 new P239 pistols. One in 9. One in 357 Sig. I got all three for about a grand.

One day around 2018 I thought it was time to own a plastic fantastic and set out to my local gun shop (not the one referenced previously because time) I came back with the last unsold Elite SAO P226. I still have all of them.
Your SIG will find you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys, new here.

I own a P229 Legion 9mm DA/SA. The only difference on dimensions between it and the P226 Legion is the length. The grip width is the same for both models.

However, there is a slight difference in gripshape (not width) between the DA/SA and SAO version of either model. The upper aspect of the grip is slightly narrower in the SA model, as it does not have to accommodate for the decocker lever/mechanism in the DA model.

Firearms (pistols, rifles, shotguns) are kinda like baseball bats. You’ll know more about whether it is the right fit for you the moment you heft it up and give it a swing - more than you’ll ever find out reading about it online. Easier said than done, though.

For me, the P229 Legion DA/SA was like “hand in glove.” Became my EDC whenever possible. Pushed a Berreta into the safe and my P365 into “bathing suits”/jogging gear only.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lots of talk about grip size (and overall size), but I still say P226 because of its balance. I own both, but to me the 226 just feels better in my hand.
Not to mention, it shoots better (for me) Better balance is all it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have both and in a Mechanix glove a large is very tight so I generally buy the XL, it fits well but the fingers are maybe 3/8" too long. That is the best way to define my hand size, not big by any stretch but not small either.
My 226 is an Elite with Rosewood grips and I really love it. I like the big beavertail and it does have a very handfilling grip. It is a .40 S&W it and the guy that I bought it from had smaller hands so he blew it out and it was a bargain in my eyes.
My 229 is actually a M11-A1 and it is a 9mm, I like it also but the grip is noticeably smaller and the beavertail is quite a bit smaller. Carrying that in Florida is not a good option since it is just too big but if I was still living in Iowa it would be a viable option for at least 1/2 of the year. Both of mine have the Short Reset Trigger (SRT) and I would not have a DA/SA Sig without that add.
If your hands are average or larger I think the 226 is the better gun (longer sight radius and a light rail) but if you might want to carry it or your hands are a bit smaller the 229 is a really nice pistol. Either way you cannot go wrong they are both really great sidearms. I was a Colt and S&W fan for most of my life but my first Sig kind of changed me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, new here.

The reality is that the only difference is 0.6 inches of overall length. That is negligible to the vast majority of shooters for carry purposes. For shooting purposes, it will lkely make a bigger difference having the extra length. I have a 226 and there is no problem carrying it.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,813 Posts
So I ended up with a 229legion. It will be at my ffl tomorrow 12/3 and I’m going to go pick it up the following morning. Can’t wait to slam some rounds through it this weekend. Will report back. 🤩🤩🥳🥳
I've got a fiver that says he loves it.

Any takers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new here.

I have both and the difference is insignifin
Hey guys, new here.

I own both and the difference is insighificant.

insignificant

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here’s my 1 1/2 cents’ worth: I don’t own a 229, nor do I remember ever shooting one (maybe I did, since a few of “the fellas” had one), but I do own, and treasure, my old German made 226. I don’t have large hands, in the sense that mine aren’t all that wide, but I do have very long fingers. And I had to consult other people, and shop around before I found grips that made the gun comfortable for me (I wound up with the Hogue wrap-around rubber grips with finger grooves model). So, with your large hands, regardless of the model you choose, you’ll probably find BOTH being too small. Hence, equal.
If you’re going to put a red dot sight on your pistol, any advantage the 226’s slightly longer barrel could give you insofar as sight radius becomes a moot point. So, if it was my choice to make, nowadays I would’ve opted for a 229.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts