SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title says it all. I have a dozen mags for my P226 MK25. One of the mags no longer locks the slide back when empty. Some stats:

8 of the mags are presumably Checkmates with "Made in USA"
2 of the mags are Mec-Gar with "Mec-Gar" and "Made in Italy"
2 of the mags have "Made in Italy" but do NOT say "Mec-Gar"

The "bad mag" is one of the last group with "Made in Italy" but NO "Mec-Gar"

The MK25 has 4650 rounds through it, and it is cleaned after shooting.

I have disassembled and cleaned the mag. Anyone have ideas on what I might do to get the "bad mag" back to a "good mag"? Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
The "Made in Italy" mag that does not have Mec-Gar is a factory mag made for SIG by Mec-Gar.
The spring is weak from either being worn out or weak spring steel.

Time for a new spring or a new mag.

Reactions: Devereaux

·
Registered
288 Posts
There are generally four things that might be at fault.
1. The magazine spring is weak.
Most likely scenario in your case.
2. The slide catch spring is weak.
Then it would most likely happen with at least some of your other magazines.
3. The magazine follower is worn and doesn't engage the slide stop.
Second most likely cause of your issue.
4. The slide stop/spring isn't installed correctly.
It would cause issues with all of your magazines.

To rule out, and find which parts are at fault, you can swap the follower and/or spring from another magazine to see if which part is the actual cause of the issue.

Have you upgraded the magazines with +2 basepads? Then the tension from the spring will be less.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,843 Posts
Photos always help, a look at the "tab" on the follower that raises the Slide Catch Lever. Since this is a Mk25 it shouldn't have one of the .40 S&W specific Slide Catch Levers, so unless the "tab" (Silver circled area below on follower) may be worn on that particular magazine. If not, then it likely needs a new magazine spring. Wolff has replacement Magazine Springs available.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER (SIGARMS)/P226/cID1/mID4/dID254#309

If your magazine looks like the one below, except for possibly the floorplate, then the 5% Extra Power spring, # 74361 for "Single Profile" magazine spring should be correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
If it's just the spring that needs to be replaced, but everything else is still good, why waste money?

Your right, a simple spring replacement will more than likely fix the issue. I’m just not a fan of the 15rd factory mags, so I would look at this as an opportunity to upgrade to a Mec-Gar AFC.

In all reality, with the political climate being what it is, I would mark the mag as bad and store it for later. Buy a new Mec-Gar and if things went South, and we could no longer buy new mags with more than 10rd capacity, I would pickup a new spring for the old mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone, for your ideas. I'll put in a new spring and go from there.

Happy shooting!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Simple test. First mark the "bad" mag and one good one. Disassemble both mags and compare spring lengths and followers.

If you like, swap springs only and see if the issue shows in the "good" mag.

When I can find them, I have spare springs for many of my mags, pistol and rifle, just to have some on hand.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
SlideLock, you indicate that the pistol has 450 rounds thru it but don't indicate if all the mags are new or well worn.

If the faulty mag is new, I would doubt that the spring is weak. I would do as others have suggested and look closely at the follower, comparing it to the other mags that are functioning properly. With the slide removed, insert the offending mag and look closely at the contact between the mag follower and the slide catch lever. I would also swap the follower from the offending mag into one that has been functioning to see if the problem "follows" the follower.

The slide catch lever spring holds the slide catch lever down. If the slide catch lever isn't engaging, it's not because the spring is weak and not holding the slide catch lever down properly.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, everyone, for more thoughts. It's hard to remember to include all details.

As I said, I've shot 4650 rounds. With a dozen mags, that's under 400 rounds per mag. I've numbered the mags, so that I can "rotate" through them for even wear. Eleven of the mags are stored empty. One mag is sometimes loaded in the gun, in case someone kicks in the front door. I rotate the loaded mag, too.

The mags are about 4 years old, as is the MK25. Some of the mags have hit the ground in shooting classes. I clean mags after classes.

If a new spring doesn't solve the problem, I'll then look at the follower. After that, I'll look for serious dings or dents in the mag(s), though I don't recall any.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Sorry, I misread that round count...by a bunch!

Still, 400 rounds thru a mag isn't a lot.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep! just buy the spring anyway. You'll need it in the future for replacement sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you leave a mag loaded it will compress the spring over time it will be to weak. Springs be cheep

·
Registered
6 Posts
Photos always help, a look at the "tab" on the follower that raises the Slide Catch Lever.
I have 9mm mags with the tab and mags without the tab. None of my mags marked P229 have the tab. Of the others, the ones without the tab give me problems in my P226. The P226 was bought as a .40 cal with 12 round mags that have the tab. So, it think it is the slide catch lever which I will replace with current manufacture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts