SIG Talk banner

p226 hammer wiggles side to side

1952 6
I have the Legion p226 9 mm. I've put about 2000 rounds through the pistol and dry fired it with a laser cartridge about 5000 times at home.

Today, I noticed that when the hammer is in its decocked state, I can wiggle it side to side noticeably. Is it just breaking in, or is something loose that requires tightening? I'm not sure what that could be as the roll pin is the only thing holding it side to side, correct? The ejector can be wiggled side to side a bit, as well.

The hammer is solid when cocked.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9,114 Posts
When you lube your gun, with hammer decocked (this removes as much tension on the hammer as possible), put a drop of oil on each side of the hammer between the hammer and the frame - this will allow the oil to find it's way down to the hammer pivot pin. Keeping this and other steel on steel pivots, such as trigger and trigger bar to trigger, lubed, will help to minimize wear.

The movement, as Sterling and BigBlock note, is normal.

On one older P229 I was working on, the trigger had more lateral movement than on other SIG's. Checking the trigger pivot, the worn spots measured several thousands less that unworn spots on the pivot shaft. The pivot hole in the trigger showed no measurable wear. It also was dryer than a sun bleached bone like it hadn't been lubed since it left the factory.

Unless detailed stipped, you have to make a conscious effort to lube these spots with the dribble in method - wipe up extra oil afterwards and you gun will stay happy for the long haul.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
As the others have said it's normal, they are not well supported or tight fitting. The only time it bothers me is on a few stainless framed one where the hammer rubs and galls on the side of the frame making for a rough DA pull. I filed and polished the right inside of the frame and it pretty much took care of it. Haven't noticed it on any of my alloy frames.

· Registered
9,114 Posts
As the others have said it's normal, they are not well supported or tight fitting. The only time it bothers me is on a few stainless framed one where the hammer rubs and galls on the side of the frame making for a rough DA pull. I filed and polished the right inside of the frame and it pretty much took care of it. Haven't noticed it on any of my alloy frames.
Same exact issue on a 2010 P226 SSE. Dry fire, hold trigger back and swing hammer back and forth with thumb to "feel" it. Slightly rough machined surfaces inside frame. I used a flat fine diamond hone to smooth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.