SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P226 with almost 28K shots through it. Today, all my shots (using either 22, 9mm or 40 S&W slides) failed to discharge the weapon. The hammer appears to not strike the primer hard enough.

What is the problem, and how do I fix it, or should I send it to Sig Sauer for repair.

Registered
I鈥檓 assuming that you are the original owner. When was the last time it had springs replaced? Did it start doing this occasionally and lead up to not igniting any rounds or was it all at once? Have you removed the grips to see if anything looks obvious? There are only several parts that are in motion when the hammer strikes. Is this a da/sa weapon? If it failed using three different slide assemblies then I鈥檓 thinking it got something within the frame like the hammer itself, doubtful, the main spring/strut or some other worn out spring or pin or combination there of.

Registered
If you've never overhauled the slide (new springs, new pins, cleaning the firing pin channel) after that many rounds, I would say your problem is in there. Assuming your hammer is still striking hard.

You could try a new main spring first, since it is easiest to try.
But I'm betting it is in the slide assembly.

Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
If you've never overhauled the slide (new springs, new pins, cleaning the firing pin channel) after that many rounds, I would say your problem is in there. Assuming your hammer is still striking hard.

You could try a new main spring first, since it is easiest to try.
But I'm betting it is in the slide assembly.
Except he said he tried three different slides with the same result...that would seem to point to a hammer issue. Maybe the hammer spring?

Registered
Before I would send it in I would do a thorough clean including the firing pin channel and swap in a new mainspring.

If you are not the original owner it could be a lighter main spring that has just given up the ghost. To many people instantly chang out the hammer spring hoping for a lighter da pull.

Registered
Except he said he tried three different slides with the same result...that would seem to point to a hammer issue. Maybe the hammer spring?
My apologies for missing that detail. I'll try not to help when I've been going through hell.

Reactions: NorthernMichigan

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
It is a Legion P226 SA pistol. I am the original owner. P226 is three years old. Shots fired with three different slides total about 22K (not 28K). My safety failed to engage and was sent back to Sig Sauer about a month ago for repair. I have only taken apart the 22 slide's firing pin to clean to date. That was perhaps 2 months back.

Registered
I believe SIG offers a 'Service Package' for about $150 where they go thru the pistol, update all springs and wear parts etc. to make sure it's operating properly up to spec.
I have almost 10K on my P229 LEGION and I'm thinking of sending it in.
Unless that's what SIG did already....with 22K....it might be due. 馃榿

Registered
28K and how many dry fires? I'm sure that raises the number some. Maybe just needs springs or maybe some moving part is worn out of spec causing the issue, I think I'd call sig and enquire about that service package CZSIG mentioned.

Having a pistol that (I assume) has served you well for 28K rounds, getting a $150.00 complete checkup seems reasonable to me.

Registered
As others stated. Hammer Spring is likely culprit. Also, for others, the Sig Service is $80. Unless of course they raised prices.

Registered
Holy cow. That works out to almost three boxes of 50 round ammo, every week for three years!
At today's prices that is over $15,000!

Registered
I鈥檓 assuming that you are the original owner. When was the last time it had springs replaced? Did it start doing this occasionally and lead up to not igniting any rounds or was it all at once? Have you removed the grips to see if anything looks obvious? There are only several parts that are in motion when the hammer strikes. Is this a da/sa weapon? If it failed using three different slide assemblies then I鈥檓 thinking it got something within the frame like the hammer itself, doubtful, the main spring/strut or some other worn out spring or pin or combination there of.
I have a P226 with almost 28K shots through it. Today, all my shots (using either 22, 9mm or 40 S&W slides) failed to discharge the weapon. The hammer appears to not strike the primer hard enough.

What is the problem, and how do I fix it, or should I send it to Sig Sauer for repair.
Welcome from Texas.
When is the last time You have replaced any of the springs ? How about cleaning and lube ?

Registered
There's actually TWO service packages available thru SIG CS. The difference is the $84.95 does NOT include SIGLite replacement. Unless you enjoy DIY, this seems like the way to go, especially if your life depends upon it. JMO -YMMV

馃帠US Army Veteran Premium Member
There's actually TWO service packages available thru SIG CS. The difference is the $84.95 does NOT include SIGLite replacement. Unless you enjoy DIY, this seems like the way to go, especially if your life depends upon it. JMO -YMMV

The service is on top of shipping, right? It would entail either FedEx or UPS - does Sig send a shipping label and add the cost to the total? I agree, unless the OP feels comfortable doing it, this would give peace of mind.

Registered
The service is on top of shipping, right? It would entail either FedEx or UPS - does Sig send a shipping label and add the cost to the total? I agree, unless the OP feels comfortable doing it, this would give peace of mind.
Apparently, SIG CS sends you an RMA with instructions to bring to a FedEx location that can accept it (not all can).
I'm assuming SIG adds a shipping fee to your total invoice that goes on your C card, but maybe someone else can confirm the current procedure. Or just call SIG CS and they'll fill you in.
My P229 Legion is nearing 10K (plus some snap-cap dry-fire), so it would be good to know.

Apparently, SIG CS sends you an RMA with instructions to bring to a FedEx location that can accept it (not all can).
I'm assuming SIG adds a shipping fee to your total invoice that goes on your C card, but maybe someone else can confirm the current procedure. Or just call SIG CS and they'll fill you in.
My P229 Legion is nearing 10K (plus some snap-cap dry-fire), so it would be good to know.
I just wanted to make sure the OP realizes that shipping costs will be added. But, I did look into my records and you are right about Sig sending a shipping label for the service. I knew they sent labels for warranty work, but not sure if they did when you order a service. I had Sig do an action job on one of my 226s several years ago and they sent me a FedEx label - letting me know that I had to bring the package to a main FedEx - places like Kinkos or Mail Boxes, etc couldn't take a firearm.

Registered
I just wanted to make sure the OP realizes that shipping costs will be added. But, I did look into my records and you are right about Sig sending a shipping label for the service. I knew they sent labels for warranty work, but not sure if they did when you order a service. I had Sig do an action job on one of my 226s several years ago and they sent me a FedEx label - letting me know that I had to bring the package to a main FedEx - places like Kinkos or Mail Boxes, etc couldn't take a firearm.
Do you have any experience with the "action enhancement package"? Would it improve a SRT?

Do you have any experience with the "action enhancement package"? Would it improve a SRT?
Yes and my advice is don't bother and send your gun to the Sig Armorer - that's what I did after Sig did their "action enhancement" package on my German 226. I was so disappointed in the small amount of improvement, I sent it to Robert Burke and he worked it over and made it what it should have been from Sig. He also re-installed the German parts that Sig had replaced with MIM parts. Don't waste your money on the action job Sig offers, you can tell it has been "liability proofed" and not worth much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts