SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if the guide rod is worth switching out for a stainless steel one. I know Sig is high quality but I don't know about the guide rods. Any input on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When the SS guide rods first came out they were all the rage and lots of us had to have them. Make a difference? Dunnno--supposed to add a bit of weight up front that may control muzzle flip a little. Most who ordered one, like me, probably did it cause it was cool looking. So now they come in black too. On Sig models that came/come with a plastic guide rod, they get switched out for steel ones a lot

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
swapped ours out, one was all pitted and oxidized. It didn't affect the operation but couldn't square it with my better sense to leave it so I replaced it and subsequent GRs

Reactions: yellowlt7

·
Registered
247 Posts
not necessary
I agree.. Unless your pistol has the plastic rod I'd say just leave it alone and save your money.

I replaced the plastic rod in my P226 for one of the high dollar Tactical Pro heavyweight rods with the tungsten core. They advertise that it weighs 20% more than a solid steel rod. This lessens muzzle flip and recoil by adding extra weight on the muzzle of the pistol making it more resistant to change of motion... In theory I guess it has to work a little but I couldn't feel any noticeable difference myself.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got Steve Bedair stainless guide rod for my P220 Equinox because it looks better with it, it is like missing something without. But after shooting about 200 rounds I found that rod is little scratched by the sping even been lubericated well before. I don't know if it is normal, will probably take it off and install original. Steve doesn't sell them anymore anyway because of cancer/health issue he closed his company. Very sad...

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The general consensus seems to be that they don't make much difference in feel or function, but many folks prefer the look to the original.

·
Premium Member
39,143 Posts
I think it is all about the look, and if one wants to go stainless it will work well.
It's just all about what you want.

I have shot the lightest 220 (carbon slide German) and the heaviest ( ST) side by side, and I just can't buy the weight in the nose stuff.
It is all just personal taste.
Little like women.
They both shot great, and compared to the gun, a guide rod is a feather.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I got Steve Bedair stainless guide rod for my P220 Equinox because it looks better with it, it is like missing something without. But after shooting about 200 rounds I found that rod is little scratched by the sping even been lubericated well before. I don't know if it is normal, will probably take it off and install original. Steve doesn't sell them anymore anyway because of cancer/health issue he closed his company. Very sad...
sorry to hear about Steve.

·
Banned
945 Posts
It can look good, I've got one in my 226 Navy and M11A1D. No difference in felt performance but it looks good.

Reactions: shifty01

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one in my 9mm p226, 40 p226, 40 tacops p226, and is mostly just for looks, I have the efk fire dragon frame saver recoil system in my 40 p229 and it does help to tame the recoil a bit but the same can be done with a stiffer recoil spring it's all just personal preference to me

·
Registered
967 Posts
The recoil spring was eating the plastic one up. The hollow steel ones seem to work very well.
Agreed. When I picked up my P229 LEO trade-in it had a plastic guide rod. The plastic one was a bit marred and the recoil spring was hard to get off of the plastic. I replaced the spring and the guide rod with the factory carbon steel one from Top Gun. I didn't see the need to spend the extra cash for stainless. This one works just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.