SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Was wondering if any of you have had some experience with Gray Guns' Custom Fat Guide Rod. How's the decreased in perceived recoil? Is it a very worth it upgrade compared to the original hollow aluminum rod?

Also, there's a super black one and a stainless one. Granted, both are stainless at the core, does the super black one warrant the additional $5 more for aesthetic purposes? Does someone have an image of how the firearm would look like with its black barrel, nitron slide and black frame with a stainless guide rod? Would love to see how it turns out as I'm currently looking into purchasing one of these guide rods for my tacops.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have them in my P229 Legacy 9mm, my P220 Carry SAS and my P220R. I don't note a difference in recoil or balance but I'm not recoil sensitive. I just like the more durable metal. Mine are black. I picked them up when ordering the P-SAIT trigger which I prefer to SIGs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have it on my P226, also installed it when I got the P-SAIT Trigger. Yes I can tell the difference. It’s a high quality part that I feel should come from factory like that. I got the black one as well. For me it was for aesthetics but I’m sure there’s additional value add for going black versus stainless.

Side note, the legion P226 has the rod similar to the GG rod. Even Sig felt that their top of the line model should have a better part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
12,325 Posts
I installed a super black stainless Gray Guns guide rod in my CZ P-10. The quality is excellent.

Reactions: BGOd42

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have them in my P229 Legacy 9mm, my P220 Carry SAS and my P220R. I don't note a difference in recoil or balance but I'm not recoil sensitive. I just like the more durable metal. Mine are black. I picked them up when ordering the P-SAIT trigger which I prefer to SIGs.
I have it on my P226, also installed it when I got the P-SAIT Trigger. Yes I can tell the difference. It’s a high quality part that I feel should come from factory like that. I got the black one as well. For me it was for aesthetics but I’m sure there’s additional value add for going black versus stainless.

Side note, the legion P226 has the rod similar to the GG rod. Even Sig felt that their top of the line model should have a better part.

So the legion comes with Gray Guns fat guide rod? I always thought it was just SIG's solid guide rod. I guess the super black finish adds an additional protective coating and the additional thickness of the finish makes it wobble less more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So the legion comes with Gray Guns fat guide rod? I always thought it was just SIG's solid guide rod. I guess the super black finish adds an additional protective coating and the additional thickness of the finish makes it wobble less more.

It doesn’t come with the GG guide rod but an equivalent I would say better.

Here is a great video talk through https://www.realgunreviews.com/upgrade-a-west-german-sig-sauer-p226-to-legion-specs/5/

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got'em in all 3 of my Sigs.....:)
Got them in all my P series 220, 225, 226's, and 229's...don't know if there is any reduced felt recoil but I just enjoy the quality of them.
I like it better than my plastic one.. so..
I put them in all of my SIGs that came with the hollow metal one.
Thanks for reaffirming, most likely will get one. Though anyone have experience with the American National Firearms Tungsten Tactical Pro G2 weighing at 2oz? That's a bit heavy, don't know if the weight is worth what it could do though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ive weighed them all out in the past. If I recall it wasnt much of an added weight. I know I winded up replacing w the tungsten 2oz guide rods

By the way I did happen last week to contact American National Firearms. I had wanted to buy another 226 tungsten but havent seen them list them as available on ebay lately. He wrote back a long but sad reply saying due to increasing ebay pressure he will no longer be making/selling any new ones

Reactions: BGOd42

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive weighed them all out in the past. If I recall it wasnt much of an added weight. I know I winded up replacing w the tungsten 2oz guide rods

By the way I did happen last week to contact American National Firearms. I had wanted to buy another 226 tungsten but havent seen them list them as available on ebay lately. He wrote back a long but sad reply saying due to increasing ebay pressure he will no longer be making/selling any new ones
That's sad to hear. I guess everyone selling the tungsten ones would get their money back and then some!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.