SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and unfortunately found it after searching about a problem I have with my P226R originally chambered in 9mm. I ran about 300 rounds of Speer lawman 9mm through the pistol. I love the gun and wanted one in 40sw for a backup to my rifle when hog hunting. I called Sig and they sold me a 40sw caliber exchange kit. Since my P226 is so new there is (was) no wear on the slide or frame rails. It looked brand new. I cleaned the rails, greased them up good like always, and installed the new upper that came direct from Sig with the 40sw caliber exchange kit. I ran 60 rounds of speer lawman 40sw through the firearm. The groups were terrible and I thought it was me. I usually run one ragged hole in the target with the 9mm upper. I removed the slide and there was a 3 inch gouge on the left side frame rail where actual metal was removed, shavings and all. It starts an inch back from the front and can be seen when the gun's slide is locked back. The rail is visibly thinner now. I am beyond bummed out. I called Sig and the rep said, "we don't promote the use of our caliber xchange kits." Seriously??? Why sell it then? Why make it at all?? And the guy that sold it surely didn't say that either and I was very specific that I wanted no issues or would go another route (buy a separate pistol). I've sent the pistol back to SIG and curious what to expect or if this is a normal QC problem. Seems I'm not the only one with this.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've been tempted, but I don't have any plans to use any exchange/conversion etc kits on my SIG frames. I have used various 1911 conversion kits over the years. Thing is, the kits are all made to fit a particular model or style of pistol. Though the kit may be of excellent quality, it is dimensioned to fit all pistols of the correct model. Some will fit well, others not so well, some not a all without professional intervention. Recoil forces are going to react differently on the frame with a different slide, especially of a different caliber, even though both frame and kit are within spec. I am especially leery of kits to be used on alloy framed guns, SIG or otherwise, lest I experience what you're describing. I also check new, especially alloy framed, guns, to make sure there are no burrs on/in the slide's rails that will immediately cut into/scar/remove material from the softer alloy frame rails if not smoothed prior to ahooting. You might have run into this situation. You might slide a Q-Tip or similar along the slide's rails to see if anything snags....

·
Registered
55,688 Posts
that's unfortunate, the sig rep saying they don't promote the use of the x-change kits hopefully has been named/mentioned to sig mgmt.

welcome from az

Reactions: haldir

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope they make it right. If I get it back like it is I'll be one sour customer. I have a few other SIGS that I love but this is the first time I've heard a company say they don't promote the use of their products. Sure wish the sales guy said that because I was already on the fence for reasons Rock185 stated. The sales guy convinced me it was ok.

Wish I learned this lesson on a cheaper gun. I didn't notice any burrs and spent a LONG time looking. Had friends check too as it really ruined my day. Hopefully I can help others not follow this mistake. Stay clear of the Caliber Exchange kits!!!! For that money I should have bought a separate gun for my trip. I ended doing that anyways in the end.

·
Premium Member
36,278 Posts
CS reps are human and some are a lot better than others.
Sometimes multiple calls will find a good one and when that happens Sig will do it right.

If the gun is already back at Sig I would wait and see.
If it is not worked out to your satisfaction, tell them you want to converse with a supervisor. Typically the report of work, is sparse on info. Lawyers don't let Sig admit problems.
I have had two experiences where Sig did not report much, but went all out fixing the gun.

If the slide seemed to fit well, there was likely a burr. It is possible they may remove the burr, and then say it won't wear any more there.
If needed, stick to your guns with them politely. Sometimes it takes more than one trip with them.

One thing that does happen is the 40 has a lot more pressure so will wear more than a 9mm.
The wear shows on the rail near the take down lever, and on the flats beside the hammer, because the slide pushes up in front, and rocks down in back as a result.
I make sure there is plenty of lube in those two areas, more carefully than the rest.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Sorry about your troubles Sig226, and hopefully a different Sig employee will take a more professional approach.
Did you install the slide and go shooting? I'm not assigning blame, just thinking things through. There are enough variables, regardless of who manufacturers it, that it isn't out of the realm of liklihood that the slide would need to be checked very carefully for fit and ease of sliding, before running it. The smallest variances, under the pressure of cycling, can cause catastrophic effects. If the gun were mine, I would have approached the fit with skepticism until it was determined that the slide to frame fit was as good as the original slide. Saying all of that, Sig should highly recommend that steps be taken to assure a good fit before shooting. It is absolutely rediculous to state that they do not recommend the exchange kit- they are covering their behinds because of liability, not promoting good, safe business.
I would be discouraged and sour, too, but hopefully things will turn out better than they are looking at the moment.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Take quality pictures, before as well as after, but definitely pictures.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You sent this back from California? Did your Sig have the LCI or was it purchased off-roster (SSE or PPT sale)? If Sig needs to replace the frame, they may have to send you something that is currently on the roster. A few years ago they refused to even look at my M11-A1 - because they claimed they couldn't send it back to CA. That issue got worked out in general (in part by Ronin2 here). But, be aware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, sent back from CA. Mine was bought a few years ago right before it fell off roster. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this ends up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Monkeywrench,
Sig sold me the exchange kit directly. it came with no LCI which was nice. I didn't believe it til I saw it. Especially since the P226 is off roster here. They shipped it to CA.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I didn't know you could go 9mm to 40sw exchange kit direction, I was thinking other way is only possible. Mine is originally .40sw and I use 9mm exchange kit just fine, minor frame slide scratches is not an issue, I do have some light one too. Can we see photos of this damage? Also .40sw is least accurate ammo round in my 12 caliber arms collection, I don't use it much anymore. .357sig is way better ammo if you like stronger ammo than 9mm.

·
Premium Member
36,278 Posts
I didn't know you could go 9mm to 40sw exchange kit direction, I was thinking other way is only possible. Mine is originally .40sw and I use 9mm exchange kit just fine, minor frame slide scratches is not an issue, I do have some light one too. Can we see photos of this damage? Also .40sw is least accurate ammo round in my 12 caliber arms collection, I don't use it much anymore. .357sig is way better ammo if you like stronger ammo than 9mm.
Going down only a barrel or a conversion barrel is needed.
Going up is exchange kit only.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Monkeywrench,
Sig sold me the exchange kit directly. it came with no LCI which was nice. I didn't believe it til I saw it. Especially since the P226 is off roster here. They shipped it to CA.
Thanks, I like to keep up on stuff like this.

6 different models of the 226 are still on roster so that shouldn't be an issue. Worst case Sig doesn't replace the frame. Best case they do and you get your old internals back. Somewhere in the middle is a whole new lower with internals which will get you a magazine disconnect most likely. That is easily removed with no expense other than a few minutes of your time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll post photos as soon as I get it back. Sounds like they are sending it back to me. I'll have to reset my expectations with this pistol. I can't believe material coming off the frame rail is "standard". 40sw exchange kit for sale if anyone wants it :)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
SIG 226 sorry to hear of your problems. I have a P226 that was an original 9mm and changed to .357sig and a .40s&w P229 changed to .357sig with X-change kits and have never had any problems and have not heard of anyone else having problems. I believe Sig will make this right for you. Don't give up on the kit just yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts