SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,525 Posts
Can you feel a gouge or does it seem smooth? More than likely it's just finish wear, which is totally normal.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
My p226 .40 looks like this after about 150rds of .357sig. This is the first time I shot it after I got it back from Sig. It's a .357sig barrel from Sig. Just wondering what if I did anything wrong. Thanks for the help.
Welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana. It's hard to see with the slide still on, but I hope you coat the slides rails with grease, instead of oil. The .357 Sig is a high velocity round, and I imagine the slide moves at a pretty good clip itself. Without adequate lubrication you will generate a lot of heat, even after 150 rounds. You have a steel slide, and an aluminum frame, if excessive heat is built up, the frame will be the loser!

Take the slide off, and post a couple of pictures of the frame, one from each side, and we may be able to tell more.

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey y'all, thanks. The frame rail is missing a little bit of aluminum on the right side. The left side is smooth. I used M-Pro 7 grease, because that's all I had at the time. I've shot my 226 without? grease and this never happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That's not normal wear it looks like gouges. I don't know how you could do that. What to the inside of the slide rails look like? Does the sear and ejector pins look flush or below and not loose?

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I doubt these gouges are caused by the slide. If the slide caused something this deep, you would see damage the entire length of the frame rail. What caused this is hard to say given so little info.

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
I agree the slide is not the problem.
My belief is that the very back of the frame's slide rails were not machined to spec and "flare out" somewhat at the very back. I've never seen that before but to me, that is the only explanation.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Does not appear to be standard rail wear, but rather looks like a piece of debris was caught in the rail and chunked out that bit.

If you can get a fingernail and it feels rough or raised to the touch, I would consider using a very small file or fine sanding stone to smooth out that area only - not beyond the gouge, just the raised or rough area.

Otherwise, keep it thoroughly lubricated. SIGs tolerate semi-indifferent maintenance, but will work better and have greater longevity if you are diligent in your cleaning and lubricating routine. Anything short of dripping out of the rails is fine, lubricate the rails with grease just short of the point of making a mess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent this pistol off to Sig almost two years for service. I had the barrel refinished, I got a short reach trigger put on, and had the annual service package done. I recently replaced the grips with the E2 grips. This is the first time I shot my 226 since I got it back. It's a .40 (2009) but, I shoot .357 sig most of the time. I've shot this 226 without gun grease before many of times and this has never happen. Well, this is not my carry gun, but I need all of my guns at 110%.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I sent this pistol off to Sig almost two years for service. I had the barrel refinished, I got a short reach trigger put on, and had the annual service package done. I recently replaced the grips with the E2 grips. This is the first time I shot my 226 since I got it back. It's a .40 (2009) but, I shoot .357 sig most of the time. I've shot this 226 without gun grease before many of times and this has never happen. Well, this is not my carry gun, but I need all of my guns at 110%.
That this happened the first time you shot after getting it back suggests that the issue is connected to something done at Sig. What exactly does the annual service package entail? I can't see any pictures

·
Registered
19,525 Posts
I've shot this 226 without gun grease before many of times and this has never happen. Well, this is not my carry gun, but I need all of my guns at 110%.
Shooting your guns without gun grease is not how you keep them at 110%.

So are you saying you sent this to SIG 2 years ago and you just now shot it and this happened?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts