SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I recently upgraded my w.german P226 with the following compenents.

Grayguns p-sait trigger
short reset trigger kit
main spring assembly
trigger bar spring
E3 grips

Since the upgrades my decocking lever has to be pushed down almost to the magazine release button to decock the hammer. I triple checked everything I did and as far as I can tell everything looks right. Having said that clearly something I did has changed the travel of the lever before it engages the hammer.

Any ideas as to what I should look at that would cause this issue?

Thank you

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,552 Posts
some sig de-cockers lower the hammer early in the stroke & some don't release until the bottom or near the bottom of the stroke.

did i change happen after changing the items mentioned??

welcome from az

Reactions: rhorn67

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,000 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwestern corner of Indiana.
You have made quite a few changes, it might help, if you supply pictures of both side of the frame assembly with the grips removed... by E3 grips as stated, I hope you mean E2, as I haven't seen any yet with that designation. The decocking difference could be from the new trigger installation, or the new mainspring assembly... that's why pictures will help!

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
Hi - I recently upgraded my w.german P226 with the following compenents.

short reset trigger kit

Since the upgrades my decocking lever has to be pushed down almost to the magazine release button to decock the hammer.
I'm not sure why this is an issue - the decocker decocks the hammer.

However, the short reset trigger kit does increase the down-stroke of the lever - additional information : it also "shortens" the feel of the hammer dropping.

The attached P226 functions exactly the same as described. It was worked over by Bruce Gray in 2006 and has 66,530 rounds through it according to my log.

In other words - where some of the legacy P226 [may be others but I can confirm the P226] have a "softer" and longer disengagement stroke, your thumb seems to follow a longer range of disengagement - installing the short reset trigger moves the feel of the disengagement point lower as well as making it more "abrupt".

It's not a problem.

Attachments

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,998 Posts
Welcome to the forum from SE MI.

Of the components that you list that were replaced, the one that is most likely to have changed the "feel" of the decocking action is the sear. When depressing the SIG decocking lever, the tab on the rear of the lever rotates up and contacts the sear. As you press down on the lever, that tab lifts the sear out of the SA notch allowing the hammer to drop onto the decocking lever tab. Then as you release the decocking lever the hammer is safely lowered.

In my limited experience the install of an SRT kit in a 226 doesn't cause a noticeable change in the feel of the decocking action, but I suppose that variations in parts might give that result. As long as the parts are properly installed and the decocking action results in the safe/controlled lowering of the hammer I don't think that there is an issue.

You might double check the installation of the decocking lever, bearing and spring in the frame to ensure that it's correct. This animation of the decocker might also be helpful: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistol...stols-how-they-work-animation.html#post255771

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm certain someone will come to your rescue rhorn67. Just wanted to jump in here and extend a welcome to SigTalk to you. I hope you enjoy these informative forums and find a solution to your decocker travel.
Thank you for the welcome! I have been reading through the threads and wow talk about a plethora of information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The change in travel before the hammer is released happened post upgrades. Prior it was about half way to the mag release and the hammer was released. Now I literally have to bring it all the way down to the button before it releases. I followed several videos by Steve Jenkins and after his SRT kit install the hammer is releasing about half way the same as mine did prior to the change.

It is doing the job and and I would have been ok with a minor change in the behavior but it just seems like too much change in travel.

Sorry yes the grips are E2.

I went back through the install to double check that things looked correct. This is my first go at modifying the gun so this is certainly new to me. Having said that I am a fairly handy guy and can follow instructions well. As far as I can tell the parts are installed correctly.

I will pull the grips and snap some pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it appears this is normal after the SRT kit installation. I really appreciate everyone's input.

This forum is such a huge benefit to users and especially novices like myself. Very happy I have found it.

Thanks again!

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.