SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys know about the supposed typo of the Lyson's Corner, VA instead of Tyson's Corner, VA? How rare are these pistols? How many different models (226, 220, etc) went out with the typo and totals for each? I'm considering purchasing one and I'm just trying to do my homework and learn what I can about them. Thanks in advance for any information that can be given.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
A link would help.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Any photos?

·
Registered
62 Posts
From another forum

"I also have one of these rare guns. ( P226 chambered in 9mm para ) Proof marked for 1986, and stamped "Lysons" instead of "Tysons" I contacted Sig Sauer themselves, and after being on hold for only a few minutes, the gentleman came back with the following information ...

1) Yes, there was an error where around 200 slides were miss-stamped with Lysons Corner VA

2) 70 or less made it out of the factory, the remaining errors were destroyed.

3) As for value, the gentleman I spoke with said 5-10 Xs retail easily... putting a value of $6000 to $11,000 depending on condition.

Please feel free to contact Sig Sauer yourself, they are more than willing to be helpful with any information you may need pertaining to Sig.

Also, another tidbit of information, a few of the Lysons errors were serial #ed U 141 XXX (mine being one)... prior to serial number U 141 001, the frame was upgraded as well, so the error combined with a new frame upgrade... Should make for a nicely valued collectors gun. Hope you find this to be helpful...

Best regards, Yerton76"

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
They are unusual but it is not like a coin - no to very little value added because of typo. Myself I would be annoyed about the typo. I personally prefer later P226s.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:phew: Wonder what he's smoking?
apparently the sig rep told him that... or the forum member who posted that made it up to create a false mark up value. who knows...

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
As a non-collector of guns, except for shooting, my personal opinion is mis-stamped guns are not worth anymore than a properly marked one. To me guns are not like stamps or coins. They are mass produced tools (and toys ;)). Is a wrench worth more because it is stamped "Snap-In"? Is a gun with a double-stamped "SIG SAUER" worth more like a double stamped coin would be? I think most of us would think it was poor quality control. :D

Of course there will be a handful of collectors who will value oddity and rarity, no matter what it is. It depends on how many collectors there are and how much they are willing to pay for that uniqueness. I also think the SIG CS rep is crazy. I have seen "Lysons Corner" SIGs go for normal, or very slightly above normal, SIG prices on Gunbroker and on forum classifieds. However, from a cynical point of view, I can see how threads like this might drive prices up some by creating more awareness and the perception of a possible "investment" opportunity.

There are guns that are "collectable' to me and worth more than their intrinsic value as a firearm, however, but they will usually have some historical significance, like Nazi proof marked Lugers, or WWII G.I. 1911s made by non-typical gun makers like Singer or Remington Rand although I personally would not pay the prices that these guns have skyrocketed to.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
From what I have read over the years on this and other forums, "Lysons Corner" guns don't fetch much of a premium, although they are unusual and therefore interesting.

I watched the auction for the particular 226 I think you could be asking about. It was a JG date code in excellent condition and had original box and manual but no test target. It sold for $900.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Soopreme, just my opinion, but I believe this gun is worth more for the nickel finish than the "Lysons Corner". Very nice SIG. :thumbsu:
I wish it were mine. Just an example I found on another forum. I had an opportunity to buy a non misprint "Tysons Corner" p226 last month but opted not to because of the scalloped frame rails, which are more prone to cracking from what I read.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Nice looking P226.:D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
i don't know, but that $6000-$11000 stuff seems flat nuts to me. I've seen similar crazy prices asked for mismarked Colts on the internet, and at gun shows, etc. Never saw any of them sell though. I would much rather have a correctly marked P226 for shooting, or collecting...ymmv

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Unbelievable! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have one that begins with U140 Lysons Corner and in good to excellent condition. I believe there were 500 manufactured, however, you stated Sig stated 200. So not sure what the facts really are....If you call Sig again and speak to someone in the know he may give you another answer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts