SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has been experimenting with the different grain weights of the ammo they use in a 9mm P226? What differences have you noticed in your gun's performance between 115, 124, and 147 grain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I can't speak for P226's, but my old FEG PJK, I barely noticed a difference. There was very little difference in recoil and point of impact. *shrugs* accuracy varied based on ammo manufacturers. I had a preference of shooting 115 grain.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
After working thru different loads for my P226. I have found that it likes 124 gr plated round nose over 4.1 gr of Titegroup.

that load delivers consistent 2" groups at 15 yards.
115 gr were inconsistent.

Also welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't reload, so I just buy factory ammunition. When I first got my 226, I bought about 10 boxes of random ammo and weights. I wanted to make sure it fed that ammo properly before I went and ordered 500+ rounds of it.
Here's all I shot:
FMJ: Remington UMC 115gr, Winchester white box (forgot weight), Magtech 124gr, Winchester 147gr training ammo, PMC Brass 124gr and CCI Blazer Brass 115gr.

HP/JHP: Hornady Critical Duty 135gr, Hornady Critical Defense 115gr, Winchester PDX-1 (forgot weight), Federal HST 147gr, and Speer Gold Dot 124gr.

Not one failure to feed, fire, or eject. All cycled perfectly fine. Accuracy of the ammo I wasn't particular on as I was mainly checking for function.

·
Registered
300 Posts
cost per round is the determining factor for me, the 226 likes all weights so does the 229.
federal, speer lawman, magtec are just a few of their favorites.
mostly 115 grain as it's a good practice weight.
i buy in bulk online (local purchased in the state of confusion; aka California) is a pain and i'm on a budget.

·
Registered
17,748 Posts
While I don't have a 226 (yet) I've shot all 3 weights pretty extensively in 6 different 9MMs I own and don't see a lot of difference except in the cost of bullets (I reload everything I shoot except defense ammo).

So, to help hold costs down I generally shoot 115 Grainers for practice ammo.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I don't own a 226 but every 9mm I've had, or still have (224, 250C, 290RS) all shot 115g, 124g & 147g more or less the same. I usually shoot 115g FMJ at the range & carry either 124g or 147g, depending on what I can find locally. I prefer 147g, but it goes like hot cakes when it's around. I've been carrying 124g lately & it cycles great & is accurate in my carry weapons

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
The P938 definitely preferred heavier weight bullets, but my old P226 shoots anything I put into it. I'll take 115 if that's all that's around, but once I start reloading, it'll be with 124gr minimum.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Depends on your needs to what bullet weight is best . Accuracy wise theres not much difference . More difference in brand and the ammo line than weight . For defense 124gr +P gold dot , aka " bonded "running along at 1200fps from a 4" barrel. Underwood ammo for defense.

For match use 135gr RN from Bayou Bullet running at 850 to 875fps for minor using tight group .

I no longer run and gun so practice is now a missouri 125gr swc at lower 1100 fps .

Don't remember last time I used 115gr anything .

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 226 X5 loves 124gn round nose lead projectiles with 3.3gn of AP50 (ADI manufactured in Australia). Haven't got my manual handy to see what a similar powder would be. I use a Dillon 1050 except the Mr Bullet feeder. Do that bit by hand, just as a safety measure (on top of the double charge or no charge alarm).

I have to say that the X5 is the most accurate out of the box handgun I've ever owned. I was a bit of a fan boy of the H&K Elite in 9mm, but, I'm a Sig person now.

We get stung on prices, so, selling my H&K USP and starting to put $$$ aside for a X6 Match, once they are allowed into Australia.

I'm only target shooting. Using a handgun for personal defense is not allowed in Australia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts