SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey coach are you on the RDX forum?

Where did you get the mods for the 15 round mag?

I read somewhere that the 22lr models had a "pin" that stopped the firing pin from hitting the chamber face. Any truth to that?

Jim
Howdy, Jim...Yep, I'm on the RDX forum also. At least until the lease is up in August! Pretty sure I'll just buy the RDX at lease-end; but you never know what they might have to offer. I'm afraid our days of buying $40K+ vehicles with cash and trading every two years may have come to a halt. Gonna try to be a bit more frugal in the future.

The mod I made on my original mag was sold by SIG Power a few years back. He went out of business. His kit included the shorter plug for greater capacity...15-16 rounds, but the same follower...no lock back.
One member here was nice enough to sell a couple of modded mags with the aluminum follower that DOES catch the slide on empty(not locked back officially). With some extra parts, I now have 4 mags that hold the greater capacity, three of those with aluminum followers, and two stock 10-round mags. I can 'waste' a bunch of ammo in a hurry!:)

Honestly don't know about a protection for the firing pin hitting the chamber face...I'm just pretty careful not to dry-fire by counting rounds. That snap-cap idea for the 'bottom/last' round is an interesting idea.

It's too bad SIG charges so much for these plastic mags...same with the 938-22. they cost double what you can find the 1911-22 metal mags for!

As I mentioned, mine is the P229...not sure how interchangeable the mag components are with the 226-22 set up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mini Mags & Black Dog Followers Make Life Easier.

I put the Black Dog followers in my 226 lr mags and they work like a champ. Be advised that the slide is catching on the follower and not locking all the way back. Once the slide stops on the follower, just manually pull it all the way back and lock it in place. With this set up I have experienced 2000 rounds of trouble free shooting through my 226 lr. Good luck. Let us know how things work out Hawkeye 62. :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I put the Black Dog followers in my 226 lr mags and they work like a champ. Be advised that the slide is catching on the follower and not locking all the way back. Once the slide stops on the follower, just manually pull it all the way back and lock it in place. With this set up I have experienced 2000 rounds of trouble free shooting through my 226 lr. Good luck. Let us know how things work out Hawkeye 62. :D
Thanks for the report!

Jim

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is a company call GS Designs who are 3D printing .22 P226 magazines that trip the slide lock lever on the last round. I ordered two of them so I will see how they work and report back. They also sell inserts for ten round metal mags that convert them to .22 magazines and a loading tool.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There is a company call GS Designs who are 3D printing .22 P226 magazines that trip the slide lock lever on the last round. I ordered two of them so I will see how they work and report back. They also sell inserts for ten round metal mags that convert them to .22 magazines and a loading tool.
Sounds good! I wonder if the Black Dog Machine plugs can be used to increase the magazine capacity? (Not the inserts, but the magazine.)

The price of the mag is about the same as Sig mag, so if I get a second mag, this could be the one.

Jim

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Jim

Use the BDM Plugs in place of the Sig plugs. That is what will give you 13 rds capacity.
You may need to file down the lip of the plug for it to fit in the mag.

Some I had to some I didnt.

The flat tabs are not used in your Mag.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Jim

Use the BDM Plugs in place of the Sig plugs. That is what will give you 13 rds capacity.
You may need to file down the lip of the plug for it to fit in the mag.

Some I had to some I didnt.

The flat tabs are not used in your Mag.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I understand that, but I wonder if the mag that GSDesigns makes is the same as the sig?

Jim

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I did some checking into those mags when the guy was in the design stage of them.
Seemed as though he worked through issues, Then ran into problems with shipping out of Canada. Last I saw he had set something up with A guy in the States to be his shipper.
Then things just went quiet, The topic was discussed at length on the other Sig forum.
Mags are A major part of proper gun operation. That in itself makes me lean towards what works. Which is what the Sig mags do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh I didn't know that. He said to email him for US orders. They may be junk or they may work great. I guess I will find out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased the black dog machine mod and installed it. Yes it does some what lock the slide back and increases the capacity to 15 rounds But with the mod I was getting a lot of failure to feeds. The mag was throwing the next round right out of the slide causing the round to jam in the slide or even in some cases it was ejecting the empty case and also throwing the next round completely out leaving the chamber empty. I uinstalled the mod and just count my rounds as I shoot.

Since returning the mag back to factory I have had no issues. As for ammo mine does not like federal bulk ammo but eats anything else. The gun definitely likes to be wet. I use mill comm tw-25 and hoppes #9 gun oil.

Good luck

·
Registered
345 Posts

As mentioned, there's been reports of aluminum slide wearing down at slide release(steel) engagement. Keep an eye on it, and keep us posted, like to try them myself.

SS

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Well, I completely changed my plans. After a lot of research, I now am going to get a P229 9mm and the 22 conversion kit from Sig. Why? Because the P229 is the same size as my other Sigs, current and soon to be. P227C, P320CA and SP2022. And because I feel better about adding a 22 kit to a 9 mm than adding a 9 mm kit to a 22. I read something somewhere about the Classic 22 frame not being exactly the same as the larger caliber frame.

I think the P226 with 22 kit would be just as good as the P229 with kit, it is just bigger than I want. When l was going for the P226, I didn't even know a about the P229 option. Live and learn. I cancelled the P226 Classic 22 order. I have filled out a fraud/charge dispute with my credit card company about Blackfox Tactical, so that P226 9 mm kit will not be charged to my account.

I have ordered a P229 9 mm from my LGS and the 22 kit from Sig.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
286 Posts
I now have the .22 kit for my 229 on the way from Sig. This will give me the .22 kits for my 220, 226 and the 229. I have never had any problems with either the 220 or the 226, so I don't expect any from the 229. Love it especially since the doctor who did my shoulder surgery has already told me that when he clears me to start shooting again, I will need to start with .22 cal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is a quick review of the GS Designs magazines. I ordered two P226 mags and a loading tool. You got to choose from a variety of colors so I chose grey and blue for the mags so theybdidnt look like all my other pistol mags and orange for the loading tool so I wouldn't lose it.

My first impression of the mags was the finish was very differant from injection molded plastic items I am used to seeing. I am very unfamiliar with 3D printing so I guess that's what it looks like. Please excuse my poor picture taking.

The first thing I noticed when load the mags is that the springs are extremely stiff, far stiffer than any .22 mag springs I have seen before. I had trouble getting the tenth round into one. The loading tool was a big help but you have to be careful with the soft .22 cases.

I didn't have a lot of time at the range and only ran a few mags through the gun. The second round of the first magazine failed to go into battery, possibly because of the tight spring.

That was the only failure. I had experienced some stovepipes with the Sig mags so based on my limited experience I would say these are at least as reliable as the Sig ones.

As advertised they did hold the slide open on the last round just like a center fire would so you can do speed reloads and don't have to worry about accidentally dry firing a rim fire.

Overall I liked them and would buy more. I don't work for GS Designs or represent them in any way but they are looking for a US importer. I don't know anything about importing gun parts into the US (just a lot about exporting) but perhaps a business with the proper license could bring them in.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here is a quick review of the GS Designs magazines. I ordered two P226 mags and a loading tool. You got to choose from a variety of colors so I chose grey and blue for the mags so theybdidnt look like all my other pistol mags and orange for the loading tool so I wouldn't lose it.

My first impression of the mags was the finish was very differant from injection molded plastic items I am used to seeing. I am very unfamiliar with 3D printing so I guess that's what it looks like. Please excuse my poor picture taking.

The first thing I noticed when load the mags is that the springs are extremely stiff, far stiffer than any .22 mag springs I have seen before. I had trouble getting the tenth round into one. The loading tool was a big help but you have to be careful with the soft .22 cases.

I didn't have a lot of time at the range and only ran a few mags through the gun. The second round of the first magazine failed to go into battery, possibly because of the tight spring.

That was the only failure. I had experienced some stovepipes with the Sig mags so based on my limited experience I would say these are at least as reliable as the Sig ones.

As advertised they did hold the slide open on the last round just like a center fire would so you can do speed reloads and don't have to worry about accidentally dry firing a rim fire.

Overall I liked them and would buy more. I don't work for GS Designs or represent them in any way but they are looking for a US importer. I don't know anything about importing gun parts into the US (just a lot about exporting) but perhaps a business with the proper license could bring them in.
Thanks for the review! I wonder if the stiff mag spring is required to over come the slide catch spring?

Jim

·
Premium Member
18,330 Posts

Yes, 3D printed items look entirely different than an injection molded item. With injection molding, of course, you are filling a cavity of a die, normally made of tool steel and polished to a nice smooth finish that remains consistent from part to part. 3D printing is very much like a Laser Jet or Ink Jet printer in that the printer head passes over the surface, depositing drops of plastic rather than drops of ink. Where a Laser Jet or Ink Jet printer typically, at least with newer machines, will make one pass over the sheet, a 3D printer keeps adding layer upon layer to the base, creating the striations you are seeing in your photo.

Thank you for the review, a very interesting application for a 3D printer!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, 3D printed items look entirely different than an injection molded item. With injection molding, of course, you are filling a cavity of a die, normally made of tool steel and polished to a nice smooth finish that remains consistent from part to part. 3D printing is very much like a Laser Jet or Ink Jet printer in that the printer head passes over the surface, depositing drops of plastic rather than drops of ink. Where a Laser Jet or Ink Jet printer typically, at least with newer machines, will make one pass over the sheet, a 3D printer keeps adding layer upon layer to the base, creating the striations you are seeing in your photo.

Thank you for the review, a very interesting application for a 3D printer!
You seem to know a lot about 3D printers so I was wondering, how hard would it be to make these? Do you just need plans that you put in the printer? If you can buy everything you need at Staples to make these why doesn't everyone make stuff like this?

·
Premium Member
18,330 Posts
You seem to know a lot about 3D printers so I was wondering, how hard would it be to make these? Do you just need plans that you put in the printer? If you can buy everything you need at Staples to make these why doesn't everyone make stuff like this?
I know very little about 3d printers, but have had a chance to play with one a couple of times. I didn't realize Staples had a 3d printer available, was surprised to see THIS! I really know nothing about the capability of this printer or the operating parameters. Reading the marketing information on the page linked, they discuss printing "usable, wearable items. Create artistic decorations for your home. Develop functional components for your big projects or hobbies. Whatever you desire . . ." Sounds like a pretty tall order, especially for a 3d printer in the $1000 price range.

The printer I have access to runs in the 6 figures. We have math models of the parts we manufacture, so we simply can plug the math model into the printer and it will do it's thing. While we can print a very exact model, I am really not sure it is something I would feel confident coming from our machine to use in a firearm as a magazine. Knowing nothing about the Staples 3d printer, I can't imagine, however, I would be any more warm and fuzzy with the output there, most likely less, much less.

Yes, the day is coming, and very soon, where something like this will be available for excellent pricing and print out something of a quality needed for something used in a firearm at that excellent price point. However, the state of the art today is still rather cost prohibitive, requiring a rather substantial capital investment up front. Very steep barrier to entry today will become less so in the near future.

And ways to digitize the part you want to emulate on the printer will become much less prohibitive and more mainstream. It is coming, I'm certain the BATFE is conniving strategies on this development. They seem to be striking well considered opportunities today, I'm sure the pace will pick up and become less selective as they get a feel on how the courts rule.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.