SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sig design for the P226 22lr does not hold the slide open after the last bullet is ejected. Not sure why, but it just does not hold the slide open - perhaps an undocumented design feature ha ha.

At any rate I bought the gun knowing this and thought I could live with this - but soon found it annoying and made several dry fires as a result.

I would like to report on the fix I learned of on this or another site:
SigPower Upgrade Conversion Kit Parts & Others sells some upgrades for this gun. I purchased the following items and would like to report to everyone considering upgrades like these that I found the products to be exactly as described on their web site, arrived within a week or so and were very nicely machined. They installed easily and the gun worked well on the first outing - ~150 ROUNDS = 1 STOVE PIPE, the normal stove pipe rate for the original gun before the upgrades.

Follower $22.25

Package Deal - (1) Spring, (1) Short Mag Plug and (1) Stainless steel Guide Rod (Style: 226) $29.25

Guide Rod Spring 22LR $5.85

Shipping: $5.15

Total Cost: $62.50

When the last cartridge leaves the magazine, the new follower has a piece that extends out the top of the magazine and that ultimately prevents the slide from closing forward after the last shot is fired. The spring tension of the slide on the follower will prevent the magazine from dropping out when released until the slide is either locked back or held back and the magazine eject button pushed.

NOTE: I do not know or have any affiliation with sigpower - just wanted to share the story of someone doing a nice job for us.

·
Registered
56,192 Posts
was this new or old? i might've missed it but have never heard of the 22 slide not locking back on last round if thumb isn't resting on slide release lever.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As far as I know they were made that way. My P226 22LR which is only a few months old won't lock back either. When you look at the magazine there is no mechanism for the follower to trip the slide lock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They do not lock back - at least the two I have seen do not. One was bought new as a P226 22lr and the other was a new 22Lr exchange kit. Also there are very hard to find notes on Sig about this - but unless you were really looking you would not realize that is how they are made.

·
Registered
56,192 Posts
apparently several of you are having the problem, my apologies for earlier comment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
bearone2.

The Sig factory made up these 22`s without that slide hold catch.
Normally these guns a are used for mass training / plinkers by Police & Military force, and suddenly the private marked get theyr eyes open for them :D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's not really a problem just the way SIG choose to design and build them. It is not optimal, but for me it is no big deal. It is just a characteristic to become aware of and live with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slide not locking back on the 22lr

The reason why the 22 version doesn't lock back after it ejects the last round is the magazine alone. Those polymer mags just don't have the opening on the side where the follower mechanism activates the slide lock. If you look at them closely, the 22 mags have a dead groove where you would see the follower on a 9mm.
If you where to insert an empty 9mm, 357 sig or 40 S&W mag into your 22 it would lock back when racking it. It's neither the frame nor the slide - just the plastic magazine.

I personally find that's a poor design, but maybe, because of the amount of mechanical follower travel that the last round of a "real" cartridge makes, would cause the slide to lock back on the LAST BUT ONE round for the 22 had they incorprated that very mechanism. Just a thought. Don't think the Sig engineers simply forgot...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
A whole lot of us have fixed this. Go to Blackdogmachine.com and order the Gen 2 AR15 mag followers. Pack of 3 followers, 3 plugs. orange in color. $5.00 per pack. File down the lip on the plug so it fits in the mag. replace original follower and plug while using the stock spring. Wa La Last shot hold open. Not slide lock. You will get used to locking the slide back. Plus you get A 12 rd capacity.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
AR 15 followers in a P226 .22 magazine???? Anyone have more detailed instruction or possibly a video?
I hate the dry fire routine as well.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Coming late to the party, I have a Stainless Elite 226 with a 22LR Caliber exchange kit. It think it's one of the most fun 22s I've ever shot, so much so I sold my Ruger MK III Hunter (and used the money toward a 1911 Nightmare in 45 ACP). Anyway, I think it was a matter of expense that made the SIG engineer decide to not make the 22 lock back. The 22 is a single stack where as the 40 is a double. To make follower in the 22 mag engage the slide catch would make the 22 magazine much more complex and expensive to manufacture (in my humble opinion). I count my rounds but I've still had some dry fires that eventually have cause problems for the chamber, making it even more ammo sensitive. I just got some Winchester M-22 (it was the last box and I don't want to say what I paid for it) and had no failures to feed, fire or eject. I found that those grey plastic #8 anchors used for putting screws into drywall work as snap caps in the magazines (you have to replace them after a while) if you don't want to count your shots. I'm also seeing YouTube videos of folks shooting and they dry fire it every time! From an early age I knew never to dry fire a 22.

Doug

·
Registered
588 Posts
A whole lot of us have fixed this. Go to Blackdogmachine.com and order the Gen 2 AR15 mag followers. Pack of 3 followers, 3 plugs. orange in color. $5.00 per pack. File down the lip on the plug so it fits in the mag. replace original follower and plug while using the stock spring. Wa La Last shot hold open. Not slide lock. You will get used to locking the slide back. Plus you get A 12 rd capacity.
This issue has been extensively discussed in several threads. The Blackdog solution works. The slide is held open after the last shot, but the slide has to be pulled back to engage the slide lock. There is also an aftermarket mag that actually activates the slide catch. The company that makes them is GSDesigns. But, a theory that I think is correct, is that Sig designed the 22 to not activate the slide lock on the last shot because the steel catch would damage the aluminum slide catch notch. There is another thread that discusses a design feature that prevents the firing pin from hitting the chamber face. A poster actually took the gun apart and measured how close the firing pin came to the chamber face. There is a pin of some sort that keeps the firing pin about .010 to .012 inches away from the face.

Best regards, Jim

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jim, thanks for the info. I didn't think about the aluminum vs. steel issue. I check out the options.

Doug

·
Registered
156 Posts
But, a theory that I think is correct, is that Sig designed the 22 to not activate the slide lock on the last shot because the steel catch would damage the aluminum slide catch notch.
Then Beretta uses a much tougher flavor of aluminum for their conversion kit slides. The Beretta .22lr conversion magazines activated the slide lock. I have yet to see any wear and tear on the slide catch notch on the conversion's aluminum slide.

As an aside, the original '70s/'80s SIG/Sauer P220 .22lr conversion used a steel slide and that conversion too did not employ magazines that trip the slide lock. Isn't that interesting?

The early conversion is shown on top and the current conversion is shown on the bottom. You can clearly see the early conversion steel slide and the magazines with no ability to activate the slide notch.

Reactions: Old Klingon

·
Registered
588 Posts
Then Beretta uses a much tougher flavor of aluminum for their conversion kit slides. The Beretta .22lr conversion magazines activated the slide lock. I have yet to see any wear and tear on the slide catch notch on the conversion's aluminum slide.

As an aside, the original '70s/'80s SIG/Sauer P220 .22lr conversion used a steel slide and that conversion too did not employ magazines that trip the slide lock. Isn't that interesting?
Well, that seems to blow that theory! :confused:

Jim

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.